****ing Motion Detector Lamps

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have a small job to sort out a faulty set of security lights in a private block not far from here. Having checked fifteen out of the thirty five or so bolted to the walls , the vast majority of failures is the motion detector circuit in the lower housing.
Only one has a visible crack in the sensor surface, all others are undamaged externally. Most but not all light up when power is applied, then go off after about twenty seconds.

A number of lamps have been replaced by other contractors in the past so the complete bundle consists of old halogen style, early LED type and the most recent failure appears to be less than a year old.

So what is the most likely cause of failure, heat/cold, voltage spikes or just cheap build electrics ?

Has the detector reliability improved in recent times or am I likely to be called back inside the warranty period to replace new items ?

Thanks in advance.

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
Replace them with some decent fittings ie Ansell or Aurora

You cannot replace lamps in any modern fittings so they must be the old halogen style fittings which I have not installed for a good 6 years

They must be old fittings save yourself a headache and upgrade them

Although I will be honest most light fittings these days are cack

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
As per the first post, the vast majority light up (now 17 out of 19 tested), it is always the sensor unit, either halogen or LED, old or new.

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
Fit an external sensor?