IR Extender; TM5402 HD M3

doesitmatter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am sorting that out, my gran is coming to live with parents (Midlands), so a Polish TV and for me (South coast)....I may be brave and go motorised.
My Location
B & H
Hey all, I have a TM5402 HD M3 and want (need) to hide it, so bought a baolongking IR extender, which uses the same NEC-IR frequency range of 38khz that the receiver uses but all I can get it to do it turn on. After that, no button works; not even power.

The remote works fine. The IR on the extender lights up and flashes when I press a remote button but still, nada on anything.
I tried it without any cables apart from power, to check if there was interference and again, nada.

Has anyone had any success with an IR Extender and can point me in the correct direction?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Does the extender work with other equipment?

doesitmatter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am sorting that out, my gran is coming to live with parents (Midlands), so a Polish TV and for me (South coast)....I may be brave and go motorised.
My Location
B & H
Does the extender work with other equipment?
Will pop over to some neighbours tomorrow, as I havent got a piece of equipment in the house which has an IR Extender connector....well, I might be able to use the Xbox One but god knows where my Kinect is.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Ah I assumed it was a wireless extender that had a little IR transmitter that you placed in-front of the IR receiver on the satellite box.

As it works initially to switch the receiver on my guess would be it's a Technomate issue rather than the extender. Perhaps try a different firmware version but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

manic01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5402 mk1/2/3/4 TM1500 TM Mini various TM Nano various TM600 TM F3/5 TM Twin etc etc TD110
My Location
GB
Whats up with the ir extender that comes with the M3 too short?

doesitmatter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
B & H
Whats up with the ir extender that comes with the M3 too short?
It's a second hand box, so came without and I didnt realise it came with one! The PDF manual doesnt even show an Ext IR but I notice most do have them.

manic01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5402 mk1/2/3/4 TM1500 TM Mini various TM Nano various TM600 TM F3/5 TM Twin etc etc TD110
My Location
GB
It's a second hand box, so came without and I didnt realise it came with one! The PDF manual doesnt even show an Ext IR but I notice most do have them.
All new M3 come with IR extender.

Fully MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and H.264 compliant

DVB-S and DVB-S2 QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK, 32APSK Compliant

Output resolution: Full HD 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i and 3D Ready*

1x Smart Card Reader and 1x Common Interface (CI) slot

Local IR Extender to keep the TM-5402 HD M3 in a closed cabinet

manic01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
GB
Also the M3 pdf is just a generic TM 5402 manual

doesitmatter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
B & H
Thanks, I assumed as much
Also the M3 pdf is just a generic TM 5402 manual
Thanks, makes sense. I assumed as much (though a newbie here, so your confirmation is welcomed) and had seen it advertised with an IR extender but thought perhaps it was region specific.
Been on the hunt for a Technomate one but no luck so far and Technomate didnt have any answers.

I think perhaps the solution is to buy a different receiver, as they all appear to have extenders and then pass this one to a family member (who I'm putting a dish up for).

manic01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
GB
Thanks, I assumed as much

Thanks, makes sense. I assumed as much (though a newbie here, so your confirmation is welcomed) and had seen it advertised with an IR extender but thought perhaps it was region specific.
Been on the hunt for a Technomate one but no luck so far and Technomate didnt have any answers.

I think perhaps the solution is to buy a different receiver, as they all appear to have extenders and then pass this one to a family member (who I'm putting a dish up for).
What receivers have you seen that all have ir receivers?
What's main purpose of the receiver if you don't mind me asking?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Edision Primo has an IR-in socket but no external receiver was supplied with it.

doesitmatter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
B & H
What receivers have you seen that all have ir receivers?
What's main purpose of the receiver if you don't mind me asking?
Great question and I probably should have said, all the receivers I've looked at have IR extenders, such as the Octagon's, which seem to be well priced and liked.

The extender goes through the wall, so I can keep equipment out of sight. The satellite cable and antenna go through there and I managed to squeeze a HMDI type D through it, plus the non-working IR receiver cable. There isn't really enough room behind to put small receivers but I have considered it.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Great question and I probably should have said, all the receivers I've looked at have IR extenders, such as the Octagon's, which seem to be well priced and liked.

The extender goes through the wall, so I can keep equipment out of sight. The satellite cable and antenna go through there and I managed to squeeze a HMDI type D through it, plus the non-working IR receiver cable. There isn't really enough room behind to put small receivers but I have considered it.
If it’s just for basic FTA DVBS/T something like the Amiko Mini Combo would do the job and it comes with an IR receiver thrown in. Cheap as chips at €75.00. Here’s the spec on it just to give you an idea. Amiko™ Mini Combo Extra | Best Buy Online in Ireland | Free Delivery

doesitmatter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
B & H
Just thought I would say that I ended up going to Technomate (after a failed Amazon purchase) and they supplied one for £16 (£6 P&P), which came overnight and works perfectly.
The two times I've needed them for aftersales, they've been brilliant and on the IR this has been vital, as the website doesnt hold any information about the product.