Is this normal

Spectric

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arris 4K freesat box
My Location
Cumbria
Hi all

New member here and now using an Arris 4K freesat box that has some quirks which I would like some feedback on please.

First one is that occasionally seems to go into a comma, just no response at all until I unplug the power lead and it then wakes up.

Second one is recording, it seems to stop short of a full program recording by around two or three minutes which can be irritating.

Any suggestions please

thanks Roy

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Spectric, I can't say I am familar with this Freesat box at all indeed I have never come across it however, what you are experiencing does not sound correct however, have you had a look at the settings. Like most STBs and computers these days you can probably control the sleep function by altering settings. Is it a mechanical hard drive or an SSD?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
A receiver locking up and requiring to be unplugged is not normal. If it continues I would return it to the supplier.

As for recordings I can't find anything in the manual that allows you to extend recordings by a set amount. Is the clock correct?

Spectric

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arris 4K freesat box
My Location
Cumbria
Thanks for the replies, this sat box is the Freesat replacement for the good old proven Humax boxes, why the change who knows but this 4K box by Arris has some niggles, to me it was rushed to market to fill the void they created by ditching Humax as their OEM and hence the issues. Another stupid mistake they made was fixing the remote codes, they are the same as a BT box so turn one on and the other comes on, but it is the dead as dead that to me looks like a total lock up and the only way out is a power off reset that could be sorted with a firmware update, but no not happened yet.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham

Spectric

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arris 4K freesat box
My Location
Cumbria
Hi Just checked and yes the box has updated plus looking at what the update addresses could be a solution,

• Improvements to avoid the application crashing while the box is in standby mode

thanks lets hope!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi all

New member here and now using an Arris 4K freesat box that has some quirks which I would like some feedback on please.

First one is that occasionally seems to go into a comma, just no response at all until I unplug the power lead and it then wakes up.

Second one is recording, it seems to stop short of a full program recording by around two or three minutes which can be irritating.

Any suggestions please

thanks Roy
Fellow installer have had to return several for various faults.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Arris is a very well known brand in the PCMCIA business, unfortunately their foray into UK boxes has not been good.

Then again Humax have covered their tracks rather well, caveat emptor when it comes to buying last year's equipment.

Spectric

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arris 4K freesat box
My Location
Cumbria
Just an update, that last software update looks like it has fixed the box going into a coma, as for recordings they seem ok but channel five still gives some issues and is something to live with.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Thanks for letting us know :Y