JSTV Japan Satellite Package

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
New package for JSTV Japan Satellite Package.

I have shrinked the page so that it would fit the window without horizontal navigation.
Also added the bitrate field, an excellent indication of the chennels quality.
The rating is based on my personal experience.

[iframe]http://www.satellite-newbie.co.uk/sat1/jstv.htm[/iframe]

johnfused

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MVISION digital receiver ST-5 USB
Records to external disk via usb.
My Location
North West
Overpriced is an understatement. However, there are two channels, the second being radio, which in the afternoon to mid-evening airs repeats of earlier TV programmes. SKY 516 now has free NHK channel (Nippon Housou Kyoku or Japan Broadcast Office (not its offical English moniker, but it's so-called Japan's BBC... but much better.)) A lot of the programmes I've seen at an earlier date on JSTV appear later on 'NHK'; sometimes dubbed, sometimes with subs. Some of my favourite programmes can now be seen by those who cannot understand Japanese and cannot stand the very limiting knockabout stuff that is shown on British TV like Tarrant, Takeshi's Castle etc. I wish I knew who to contact at SKY-NHK.

You mentioned the films on JSTV -- no, they are not subbed in English. I put some of the stuff from JSTV onto youtube but mostly onto veoh.com which has no size/length limit. Search 'johfused'.

Back to the price -- JSTV is (I presume) aimed at ex-pat businessmen in Europe, Middle East, N. Africa, so I suppose their company is paying -- a little perk for living so far from civilisation... which is true, I suppose.

When I stumbled on this site, the JSTV site being down it seems, I thought 'Oh, goodie, just what I've always wanted, somewhere to chat with other fans.' Huh!

GOtta go - am missing Chibi Maruko-chan!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
johnfused said:
Overpriced is an understatement. However, there are two channels, the second being radio, which in the afternoon to mid-evening airs repeats of earlier TV programmes. SKY 516 now has free NHK channel (Nippon Housou Kyoku or Japan Broadcast Office (not its offical English moniker, but it's so-called Japan's BBC... but much better.)) A lot of the programmes I've seen at an earlier date on JSTV appear later on 'NHK'; sometimes dubbed, sometimes with subs. Some of my favourite programmes can now be seen by those who cannot understand Japanese and cannot stand the very limiting knockabout stuff that is shown on British TV like Tarrant, Takeshi's Castle etc. I wish I knew who to contact at SKY-NHK.

You mentioned the films on JSTV -- no, they are not subbed in English. I put some of the stuff from JSTV onto youtube but mostly onto veoh.com which has no size/length limit. Search 'johfused'.

Back to the price -- JSTV is (I presume) aimed at ex-pat businessmen in Europe, Middle East, N. Africa, so I suppose their company is paying -- a little perk for living so far from civilisation... which is true, I suppose.

When I stumbled on this site, the JSTV site being down it seems, I thought 'Oh, goodie, just what I've always wanted, somewhere to chat with other fans.' Huh!

GOtta go - am missing Chibi Maruko-chan!

Hi johnfused,
Welcome to the forum.
I had in the meantime the chance to get some reviews about the contents of this channel and the only word that I heard was booooring.
As a Japanese films lover, I expected this channel, taking into account the subscription monthly cost, to show the best made Japanese films, but I am now quite disappointed.

steford

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ZGemma H.S
My Location
W13
HB13DISH said:
Hi johnfused,
Welcome to the forum.
I had in the meantime the chance to get some reviews about the contents of this channel and the only word that I heard was booooring.
As a Japanese films lover, I expected this channel, taking into account the subscription monthly cost, to show the best made Japanese films, but I am now quite disappointed.

JSTV is not aimed at a foreign audience at all although some news programmes are shown bilingual - even for Japanese ex-pats it's not that great with just 1 or 2 non-NHK primetime shows on a day at around 7PM.

NHK World (as mentioned above) now appearing all over the place including Astra2 is what you need although it's mostly Japanese language and culture programmes for foreigners rather than films.

JediBUZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000, 4 tuners, 1TB hard drive, DVD RW, Fan, 64GB USB for perm Time Shift, EPG and Picon data. Hooked up to a T90 Wavefrontier
My Location
EastMidlands UK
the sumo on jstv1 has bi-ling jap&eng but if you want to watch it live on jstv2 it's jap only

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
NHK World (on 28E amongst many others) has some great programmes on it - at the moment there plenty of info about the spring cherry blossoms :)