Advice Needed Kathrein 418 exip with Sky Q wideband LNB

Jon123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q with standard wideband LNB (2 wires)
My Location
Cheshire, UK
Hi folks,

I'm new to this, and I'm in need of some help.

I generally spend most of my time on free-to-air channels, Netflix, iPlayer, Disney+ etc, hence I've decided my Sky Q subscription of over £100 p/m isn't worth paying. My Freeview reception isn't the best particularly in bad weather, so I'm looking for something satellite based. I've considered FreeSat, but limited apps (such as Disney+) means it's not an option for me. My plan is to use a Sat>IP server, using Channels DVR hosted on my NAS, then using an Apple TV (with the Channels app) as a receiver.

I purchased a Kathrein EXIP 418 to be my Sat>IP server. My current Sky Q box takes two wires, hence I believe this is the wideband LNB. The Kathrein docs state that wideband LNB's are supported, and I've been able to change the LNB Settings to wideband. I've been using Sat>IP DVBViewer as a temporary client. However, I've been unable to get a picture from DVBViewer, and the channel scan always reports 0 channels. During the scan the Kathrein device reports a tuner in use, and sometimes gives a signal strength of about 81 and signal quality of 100, however both are often 0.

I've tried swapping the two satellite cables around as the docs state specific connections for the V and H and it's unclear which cable is which. I've also tried changing the 'Central Frequency' from the default 10400 Mhz to 10410 Mhz. I've also tried dropping an updated 0282.ini file I got free kingofsat.net ino the transponders folder of DVBViewer.

I suspect that the Sky Q wideband LNB is my problem. Should I be looking to replace the LNB and/or dish? Is the DVBViewer app the best client to test with?

Appreciate any advice,
Jon.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I'm not familiar with this kind of setup so can't be of much help. A couple of things I notice:

You say "I've also tried changing the 'Central Frequency' from the default 10400 Mhz to 10410 Mhz". Perhaps something is mis-translated but 10410Mhz is the correct frequency for an oscillator setting. 'Central Frequency' sounds more like the switch over point for LNBs with 2 oscillators like universal or quattro LNBs. Is the LNB type definitely set to wideband?

Does Kathrein suggest software for viewing the Sat/IP streams? Does DVBViewer need to be told it's using a wideband LNB?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Like ozumo I too am unfamiliar with what you are attempting, where did you get the information from to begin building this system?

Jon123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, UK
Thanks for your replies ozumo and Topper.

I've tried changing the language of the Kathrein console to German and 'Central Frequency' becomes 'Oszillatorfrequenz', hence I think this field is likely the "correct frequency for an oscillator setting" that you referred to. The website docs which are only available in German, translate to:

7.2 Wideband mode
If the EXIP 418 is directly connected to a wideband LNB, it is necessary to set to
the correct oscillator frequency and the correct connection of the two coaxial cables
respect. No further settings are necessary in this operating mode.
1. Click on Wideband (①).
2. check the oscillator frequency (②) If necessary, enter the correct frequency. Refer to the manual of the connected LNB.
3. Click Apply (③).
➯ The device is ready for operation. No further settings are necessary.

I haven't managed to find any advice regarding the viewing software from Kathrein, but came across this product at the satip website (see here) of which Kathrein are a 'supporter'.

I was possibly a littly hasty selecting Kathrein for my Sat>IP server. I'd been looking at using Channels DVR as a Freeview option, albeit a bit nervous about my reception. A little over a week ago they announced beta support for Sat>IP, and a member of their forum that was from the UK had a similar setup, although with the more expensive Kathrein 4124 (with 24 tuners - overkill for what I need) - his review (see here) reads very positive, although he's much more knowledgeable with this technology than myself. He describes his dish/LNB setup below, which lead to me doubting my Sky Q dish/LNB was sufficient:
My SAT>IP setup utilises a single 60cm dish, 3 wideband LNBs pointed at Hotebird 13e, Atra 19.2 & Astra 28.2 for FTA channels.

Worth noting that I'm not using Channels DVR yet - especially since Sat>IP support is still beta. Aim was to try and keep things simple initially, so I was using just the Kathrein EXIP 418 connected to what appears like the best supported client driven from my Windows laptop over an ethernet cable on a gig switch.

Thanks again for your replies.
Jon.

Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Are there any settings within DVBViewer which allow you to select LNB type?

If you go File -> Select Sat>IP Server, does it show the Kathrein?

What settings are you using in the scanner?

The LNB was working with Sky Q so I find it unlikely that it is at fault, other than some kind of incompatibility with the Kathrein.

Jon123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, UK
Hi ozumo,

The Kathrein box is identified by DVBViewer. It appears in the Options -> Sat>IP tab, and when right clicking on the main screen under 'Select Sat>IP Server'. The IP address looks good within options, and I haven't altered the UDP ports under RTP Settings.

When performing a scan, I tend to select either 'Astra/Eurobird 28.2E' or '28.2E' (which represents the 0282.ini file I got from kingofsat.net) from 'Source 1', I check the checkbox just right of 'Source 1', and then click 'Scan' while in Simple mode. It takes some time to perform the scan (perhaps 30 mins), during this time the light is flashing on the Kathrein box, and the Kathrein portal shows tuner 1 has switched to 'Playing: yes'. The signal strength/quality are typically 0/0, but occasionally jump to 80/100 or so.

I haven't found any options within DVBViewer for specifying wideband LNB. It was my understanding that a Sat>IP server digitises the satellite signal over the network, and hence the LNB settings was something that was important for the Sat>IP Server, but not for a client/viewer. However, I could be wrong on this.

Cheers,
Jon.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Is a pre-defined transponder list required? Have you tried expert mode, I wonder if it creates it's own transponder list? Use symbol rates 22000, 23000, 27500, 29500. My other thought was is there any option in the Kathrein interface to scan channels from there? I wonder if DVBViewer is looking for a channel list from the Kathrein?

I found a user guide for the Mac version of the software, LNB type can be defined it appears, whether it can be done from the Windows version I don't know.

Jon123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire, UK
Hi ozumo,

I tried expert mode with the symbol rates you suggested and I'm still getting no results using 'Astra/Eurobird 28.2°E' as target root and all other values default. I also tried widening the frequency and dropping the step size to 1Mhz.

There's also nothing in the Kathrein interface to perform a scan. Ignoring typical settings for a network device, there's a 'LNB Settings' page which when configured for wideband only shows a 'Central Frequency' aka 'oscillator frequency'. There's a 'Tuner Settings' which lets each tuner toggle between dynamic (unicast) and static (multicast). Finally, there's a 'System Status' which is a read-only page displaying the status of each tuner.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a mac, and I haven't found a similar setting to configure the LNB type within the Windows client, either in the UI or browsing the ini files. It is very interesting that's it's an option on mac though.

I'll take a look at other clients, perhaps Channels DVR or TVHeadend will have more luck.

Thanks again for your help,
Jon.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Sounds like a good idea, though if expert mode is some kind of blind search then I'd have expected it to have found something. I'd also try to contact Kathrein to ask their advice :)

Mjyounger

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q dish/lnb
My Location
Surrey, UK.
Hey Jon, did you get anywhere in the end? I think I’m in your exact same position. SkyQ, 418 box, not a clue which way the cables go, and unsure wheter the freq should be 10400 or10410

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LO frequency shoule 10.41 and if the channel scan doesn't produce anything, then switch the two cables round, should be as simple as that.

tom55

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD110
My Location
South
Sounds like dvbviewer LNB setup issue. I use altdvb with native wideband cards (no servers in middle), and to make it work need to set LO low to 10400 (sky q will be 10410) LO switch and LO high to 0. Also need streamreader instead of nativeBDA or else there are problems like your. Very few channels found if any at all and with incorrect frequencies.