Just Sharing This Katla, Iceland's most powerful volcano moved to yellow alert

A

Archive-8

IMG_2394.PNG

Following tremors at Katla in South Iceland and a glacial river flood in Múlakvísl, the Icelandic Met Office has raised the status of the famous volcano on its ‘Aviation Colour Code Map for Icelandic Volcanic Systems’ from green to yellow.

An earthquake of the magnitude of 3 occurred in the Katla caldera at 00:48 last night followed by a series of smaller tremors. The seismic unrest could be connected to the glacial river flood and not connected to a possible eruption at all but the Iceland Met Office cannot be certain at this point.

Alert code yellow means that the volcano is active but that nothing points to an immenent eruption. If the colour code moves up to orange it means that the volcano is increasing its activity and an eruption is becoming likely.

Published:- http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...celand_s_most_powerful_volcano_moved_to_yell/

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The natives have been drilling down very close to the mantle as of late, I wonder if they have disturbed the sleeping gods ?

A

Archive-8

Page 12:-

Some Final Words

While much remains to be done in terms of petrology, geochemistry, downhole logging, data interpretation, future reservoir stimulation, and, above all, flow testing, early indications are that the RN-15/IDDP-2 exploratory borehole has met its initial goals. It is the deepest well in Iceland and apparently has reached temperatures and fluid pressures indicative of supercritical conditions, with suggestions that permeability and supercritical fluids coexist at depth.

The total loss of circulation below 3 km depth was unexpected, but the existence of large permeability, up to a kilometer deeper than the current production zones at Reykjanes, may have implications for the future development of the geothermal resource, that are independent of supercritical production.

It's only a matter of time before it's going to blow.

A few aircraft over Iceland

IMG_2395.PNG

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
So keep an eye out for sudden volcanic activity on the continent that rusted to death :D