Lost YouTube playback on streaming box.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Not quite sure where to put this.

A wifi streaming speaker (with HDMI output) has recenty stopped playing Youtube content when I try to access it (though some stored videos can still be viewed).

I think the failure is something to do with the link between multiple Google accounts (including Youtube and Gmail ) but despite verifying they are validated and known by the box, I get the following message on the iPad, which suggests I should be using a different type of browser.

So is this something specific to Apple and a restriction to services when streaming through their devices, or am I going to find the same when I start the android phone tomorrow ?

Thanks in advance

20180311_182508.jpg

A

archive10

Not quite sure where to put this.

A wifi streaming speaker (with HDMI output) has recenty stopped playing Youtube content when I try to access it (though some stored videos can still be viewed).

I think the failure is something to do with the link between multiple Google accounts (including Youtube and Gmail ) but despite verifying they are validated and known by the box, I get the following message on the iPad, which suggests I should be using a different type of browser.

So is this something specific to Apple and a restriction to services when streaming through their devices, or am I going to find the same when I start the android phone tomorrow ?

Thanks in advance
Don't know what the specific streaming speaker problem is, but I speculate that this is due to Google changing/refining their policy of allowed clients.

What is most likely is that the wifi-speaker was using an HTML-version of Youtube to provide access, or a (somewhat) old native client.
All non-PC browser implementations are now classisfied as embedded implementations, meaning that the client needs to authorise through a client library provided (free) from google. This needs to be integrated and embedded in the device - and approved by Google...

The reasoning for this situation is that google wants to provide a predictable user experience (i.e. both in terms of audio/video-quality, but also in terms of data collection about media conumption, and provisioning of proper advertising to the YouTube-users).

It's the same for set-top boxes, Blu-Ray players etc - they need to have integration authorised by Google (through Android programmes).
Your Android phone may continue to work if it's using the native Android youTube app (which is likely).
But the HTML-version may also have different success depending on browser and version of browser.

...it could also be login confusion as you say, but the behaviour rhymes with what I've learned from CPE device manufacturers in the past year.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The manufacturer has supplied apps for the speaker on both platforms, though the last releases appear to be January 2017.