Magicsat not locking on to Astra 28,2E

Rvator

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
N/A
Our location is near Warwick and so UK channels only.

Co incidentally the info on FlySat.com shows 10758 V might have ceased being available at the end of May which is when we returned to our boat post Covid restrictions and our first use of the MagicSat 2092a was when that frequency was still available and we were still in the marina with the dish aligning to an Astra 28.2 East UK beam from it's last known coordinates and gave UK channels.

Our next use of the MagicSat 2002a was early June at a different location which was potentially after 10758 V had ceased being available and the dish actually locked onto an Astra 28.2 East Europe beam from the other three frequencies with Europe channels.

The situation was still the same when returning to the marina Europe channels only but with change to 10803 H the assumption is the dish has now aligned to an Astra 28.2 E beam with UK channels

I am not up on these things so only making a guess.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
A quick look at Flysat suggests setting 10758V to No would have also worked, as it would not lock onto 19.2°E where that frequency is active.

10758 V N D

The transponders you have chosen are all on the UK beam, if you venture away from the UK the MagicSat will struggle to find those transponders.

Rvator

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
N/A
A quick look at Flysat suggests setting 10758V to No would have also worked, as it would not lock onto 19.2°E where that frequency is active.

10758 V N D

The transponders you have chosen are all on the UK beam, if you venture away from the UK the MagicSat will struggle to find those transponders.

Thanks buddy that very interesting info which I shall remember for the future should there be another frequency issue and fortunately we are very unlikely to stray away from the UK.

As I recall when I look at the Astra 19.2E setup on the MagicSat 2002a box there are three dots entered in the signal field for both the frequencies as opposed to a Y or an N which might explain why the dish appears to still be aligning to that satellite, I shall checkout that out next time I am onboard and amend the signal entry.

Many thanks again for your info.

Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I've never used the MagicSat but would imagine if you tell it to go to 28.2°E it would only stop on 19.2°E if the transponders entered for 28.2°E are active on 19.2°E as well. This is why using 10758 V N D would be useful as it wouldn't stop on 19.2°E accidentally.

The key is to have a set of transponders that are unique to a particular position. There may be times when this is not possible. I wonder if you can use the analogue setting for DVB-S2 transponders, assuming the MagicSat can only lock DVB-S TPs.

Rvator

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
N/A
I've never used the MagicSat but would imagine if you tell it to go to 28.2°E it would only stop on 19.2°E if the transponders entered for 28.2°E are active on 19.2°E as well. This is why using 10758 V N D would be useful as it wouldn't stop on 19.2°E accidentally.

The key is to have a set of transponders that are unique to a particular position. There may be times when this is not possible. I wonder if you can use the analogue setting for DVB-S2 transponders, assuming the MagicSat can only lock DVB-S TPs.
Ah yes DVB-S TPs well that I don't know, the MagicSat 2002a is long obsolete and I would be surprised if anyone else other than me is still using one however the criteria setup does allow selection of analogue when configuring each frequency so it would be worth figuring out what DVB-TPs are and trying something out.

I have in the past found several groups of four frequencies that allowed locking onto Astra 28.2E and settled in the end on those I put in my earlier post after that if it works I leave it alone.

mid4did

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
teleco magicsat 2002A 85cm dish+Zgemma star-s on Hymer tramp motorhome
My Location
somerset uk /france/spain
Hello again folks

Just to update you all that continue to use the MagicSat 2002a.

After Covid restrictions we had our first trip in May and found that the dish locked successfully onto the last used alignment which was in the marina and still tuned UK stations but out on the cruise and re aligning at a different location it located Astra 28.2 East but only tuned EU stations.

Suspected a changed frequency.
Have just returned from another visit and implemented a frequency change.

Reference my post #185 with following criteria:-

Frequency: Polarity: Signal: Mode:
10714 H Y D
10758 V Y D
10773 H Y D
10788 V Y D

A check of FlySat.com revealed that 10758 appears to have ceased to be active so the criteria used now has changed to the following:-

Frequency: Polarity: Signal: Mode:
10714 H Y D
10773 H Y D
10788 V Y D
10803 H Y D

The dish successfully located Astra 28.2 East and tuned UK stations.

If there are any other users of the MagicSat 2002a still out there keep the faith.

Brgds
Rvator

As a post script 10803 which is horizontal polarity was used although 10818 which is vertical polarity probably would also be okay.
hi bob,That is great news that you are still getting use from the magicsat 2002a.
Afraid I dismantled my system as It was getting too fiddly altering settings when travelling down through france and spain.
I've also done tours of norway and sweden so no hope of getting anything up there.
I get everything via terrestial tv and a firetvstick now.If you want and can pick up a spare magicsat less the dish and possibly a remote if I can find it please pm me.