550mm offset wall mount
Primesat V-Box
Technomate TM-5402 M4
AB Cryptobox 752HD Combo
Panasonic Viera plasma TVs
My Location
Shropshire
Moteck H-180 Tweaks – Hardware Limits

The unit had the ‘offset top and bottom plates’ problem, which I have seen mentioned on this site before. I rectified this with a bit of DIY engineering before installation. I also installed a few rivet-nuts to minimise the number of tools required when working up high.

The H-180 had no adjustments for the hardware limits. There is a fixed cam mounted directly on the main shaft, operating three micro-switches. Two switches are for the East/West limits and the other is for ‘zero’ setting. The stock cam allows a total of about 180 degrees (90-0-90) of East/West rotation.

My polar mount is on an almost South-facing wall above the garage, so it could be possible to drive the dish into the wall if the V-Box software limits were over-ridden. I considered designing an adjustable cam but decided to keep it simple as no further adjustment should be required once the hardware limits were correct.

I planned for 70-0-70 degrees of rotation rather than the original 90-0-90.

I designed a replacement cam and created it on the 3d printer using polycarbonate blend filament. The model design is parametric, which greatly simplifies future modifications to the range of rotation if required. The result was worth the effort…

The attached images show the original, and the modified cams.
90-0-90 Cam.jpg70-0-70 Cam.jpg

Aftermath
I recently acquired a second-hand Jaeger SMR-1224 motor, which will be stripped down and refurbished before it replaces the Moteck unit on my mount.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
1224 motors are leaps and bounds ahead of the God-awful H180. Still, it would be interesting to see the final result on the latter.