Moving to Jeddah: Nilesat/Arabsat/HUMAX questions

Mohamed83

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
London
So I am moving to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia next month, I will be investing so much money on the Panasonic VT30 Plasma TV so I want the best possible picture on any equipment I connect it to.

1. As you know, in the Middle East the rights for the Premier League are held by Abu Dhabi Media Company. I've been told that the best option would be to purchase a HUMAX IR1020HD Receiver, which comes with 1 year subscription for all the games. Is this receiver any good? I've heard the signal is weak, but is that only for people trying to pick up the signal from Europe or is it weak for people who actually live in the Middle East as well? Would you recommend another receiver, and if so, which one? And will I be able to buy the abu dhabi sports package on a different card?

2. In Saudi Arabia they have Internet Protocol TV (IPTV) which is capable of delivering HD channels on a 50mb fibre-optic broadband connection. Do you think this will deliver a better picture in comparison to a satellite dish + HD receiver? Or will the satellite option offer a better picture compared to fibre-optic broadband?

3. I want to have Nilesat, Hotbird and Arabsat on 1 dish which is easily possible in Jeddah, the problem though is that I haven't got a clue as to whether the dish needs to be turned for different satellites? I understand I need 3LNBs but how does it actually work?

4. Do I need a HDMI cable that connects the dish to the receiver? And does dish quality effect picture quality?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
1. The relatively insensitive tuner on the IR1020HD should not be an issue for people well within the intended footprint - it only matters towards and at the fringe (eg UK!)

2. Pass

3. Pass

4. HDMI lead connects between Satellite Receiver and Television. It has nothing to do with the Dish.

Mohamed83

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
London
Thanks.

So what is the cable that connects the dish to the receiver? I am guessing this cable has no impact on picture quality, neither does the dish brand?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Normally you would be using low-loss double-screened Satellite grade coaxial cable.

Picture quality should not be affected by Dish brand as the signals are Digital. The visual effect is, therefore, governed by the characteristics of the Receiver itself and the TV Display.

There are, amongst larger dishes, some issues of robustness: An oft quoted example is that of the Fortec Star 2.4m and other "petalised" Dishes which are prone to falling apart in inclement weather. That certainly wouldn't help your picture quality!

astral69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020Si receiver, PLi image loaded and Irdeto and Viaccess cards installed. Dishes for Nilesat + Hotbird with lnb's for BADR and Eurobird 9
My Location
Middle East
1. I too am looking at receiver options as the Humax does not seem to get good reviews.

2. The cable option will probably be more stable, in bad weather conditions.

3. I want to have Nilesat, Hotbird and Arabsat on 1 dish which is easily possible in Jeddah,
I am not sure you will manage all those birds with one dish. You will probably need a scond dish for Nilesat
as it further west.
I am in Lebanon and need a 1m dish to Hotbird, you may need larger, you local supplier will advise

4. Do I need a HDMI cable that connects the dish to the receiver?
HDMI is for connetcing the receiver to your TV.
Coax from the dish to the receiver

astral69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020Si receiver, PLi image loaded and Irdeto and Viaccess cards installed. Dishes for Nilesat + Hotbird with lnb's for BADR and Eurobird 9
My Location
Middle East
See my comments about the receiver in __http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/fringe-reception-general/177451-abu-dhabi-sport-uk-35.html#post1000001