My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
[FONT=&amp]Hi Guys[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]This is my first satellite set-up and over the last few months, I have been collecting info about the best satellite system to set-up. At the same time, I was learning about the pros and cons of each type of setup and then eventually choosing a toroidal 90 setup.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The crazy amount of lnb’s possible was the clincher for me to obtain as many channels as possible, not that each one would have been watched. It was a case of having favourites setup and having a nice mix of everything.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Set-up for the family as cartoons was a must as well as movies and of course sport and footie.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Sat box was the S9HD for the spare room where 4 smart twins tit’n would be hooked up. For the astras, hotbirds and eurobirds [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]2. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Main sat box is going to be the xtrend 5000 – for the above 4 twins and 16 other lnb’s spread along the bar.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The spread of sats is from 42E to 5W, but the clear skies from my position allow further coverage, so as many sats as possible from 20 smart gold tit’n.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Switches boxes – will be an emp 16/1 and a couple emp 4/1 diseqc’s. 1 x 4/1 into the spare room with wires from the 4 twins. The remain wires from the 4 twins will be going into 4/1 which in-turn into the 16/1 – another 4 wires will go into the other 16/1 link. Leaving slots for the remaining lnbs from the bar and extras for further lnbs. I hope this makes sense – I am sure I will get your advice on this setup.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Next the wires which are the wf100 100m[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The f connectors are waterproof versions with an o ring[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mount Bar[/FONT][FONT=&amp] was the mount that came with the setup, but too big, so going to settle for a tk 12” bar with the mount chopped in half with u-bolts to tighten it together.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The actual bar which came with the 90 I have done blue peter job on it and screwed in 4 (4xmetalholders from Germany). These metal bars allow me to extend well past the actual spread (maybe 45e – 18w)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Location is [/FONT]Latitude: 51.5764° N (51° 34' 35") Longitude: -3.2422° E (3° 14' 31")
WaveFrontier tilt angle (Skew): ?°(to be calculated)
[FONT=&amp]Middle LNB at 0 ob Bar is 19E (will fix that and then add lnb at each end and then scew – is that correct method)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Garden is south facing[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]First install[/FONT][FONT=&amp] to check position and to see how it looks[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Neighbours are not having any of it asked politely can we move it somewhere else. Had to laugh when we said don’t need any planning in the back garden (I think) – pure horror on the faces. But I don’t mind moving it as its let me move dish halfway down building. It will make easier to work with and keep everyone happy.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Pictures will show [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Clear views of the sky SE to W (left to right)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Bar with metal bars blue peter job[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]First install at top of house (too high)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mount is huge[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Neighbours house to the left - two lesbians (mature content) – they are great [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Loads still to follow in the few weeks[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated. Beer is cheap if visiting Caerphilly. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Advice, views and thoughts please[/FONT]

Attachments

• SAM_2155.jpg
    SAM_2155.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 708

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
more photos as they dont load very well

Sats I like to pick up in the next 2 weeks of refit.

45.0E, 42.0E, 39.0E, 36.0E/33.0E, 31.5E, 28E, 26E, 23.5E, 19E, 16E, 13E, 10/9E, 7E, 4.8E, 0.8W, 4/5W, 7/8W, 12.5W, 15/18W.

30W is pushing it...might be another project.

Would like the above can anyone confirm which are not possible, so I won't waste my time with them.

hope this helps with regards what I am looking for.

cheers

Attachments

• SAM_2228.jpg
    SAM_2228.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 999
  • SAM_2243.jpg
    SAM_2243.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 708
  • SAM_2242.jpg
    SAM_2242.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 797
  • SAM_2244.jpg
    SAM_2244.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 752
  • SAM_2245.jpg
    SAM_2245.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 682

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
This will be a good thread, keep up the good work mate, wish the wife would let me go bigger than 80cm with my multi sat madness!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, ladies never seem to understand that bigger is better.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Tivù said:
Yes, ladies never seem to understand that bigger is better.

Brillant mate, made me spray tea every where! lol

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
godzillafan said:
[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Mount is huge[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Neighbours house to the left - two lesbians (mature content) – they are great [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp]Advice, views and thoughts please[/FONT]

I have 3 ladies living next to me split in two houses

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
godzillafan said:
[FONT=&]Mount is huge[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Neighbours house to the left - two lesbians (mature content) – they are great [/FONT]
[FONT=&]Advice, views and thoughts please[/FONT]

I would have thought the fact that you have a huge mount would be lost on two lesbians. (BTW - are there any lesbians who aren't mature content? Or do you just mean they're happy all the time?)

Other than that, Bonne Chance.

(LOL, only a few posts in and already the thread has descended into a sexual innuendo only equalled by 'Carry On' movies)

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
sonnetpete said:
I would have thought the fact that you have a huge mount would be lost on two lesbians. (BTW - are there any lesbians who aren't mature content? Or do you just mean they're happy all the time?)

Other than that, Bonne Chance.

(LOL, only a few posts in and already the thread has descended into a sexual innuendo only equalled by 'Carry On' movies)

Could not remember what the latest term was for female couples - someone said mature content - put in both incase I got it wrong.

Yip big mount did not agree with them so dish coming down after the rain stops.

Will be going back up with tks and chopped mount. Just to find a cheap tk and 3" u bolt for the 60mm pole

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
godzillafan said:
Sats I like to pick up in the next 2 weeks of refit.
45.0E, 42.0E, 39.0E, 36.0E/33.0E, 31.5E, 28E, 26E, 23.5E, 19E, 16E, 13E, 10/9E, 7E, 4.8E, 0.8W, 4/5W, 7/8W, 12.5W, 15/18W.
What did you mean by slash "/" between 36*E and 33*E as well as between 15*W and 18*W? There are 3 degrees separation and not possible to get by one LNB. Moreover, I think that 18*W should be excluded from list. Even if you get 15*W-45*E that already be great job done.
Good site for checking footprints of sats is _http://www.satbeams.com/footprints/

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
RimaNTSS said:
What did you mean by slash "/" between 36*E and 33*E as well as between 15*W and 18*W? There are 3 degrees separation and not possible to get by one LNB. Moreover, I think that 18*W should be excluded from list. Even if you get 15*W-45*E that already be great job done.
Good site for checking footprints of sats is _http://www.satbeams.com/footprints/

Hi R
I am unsure which of them are possible so listed all 4 of them. ideally just need some advice of all the e-w sats listed, which are impossible, so i wont need to waste any time on them.

if i can get all of them then its a bonus. I have enough lnbs for all of them, if they can be achieved.

hope that makes sense.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Of the sats you've listed I wouldn't bother with 33°, 31.5° and as Rima says 18°W. You'll probably struggle on a few, 26° will be awkward because of the 2° seperation to Astra, as will 9°E and 7°E. 4°W is flaky most times and I don't think you've got a chance of anything from 7°W (well maybe the very strongest vertical transponder....if it's clear....and at night.....) I've also had problems trying to set up 16°E and can only get one transponder with relative ease on a Black Ultra. The situation for 16°E might improve when the new sat goes up later this year.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
2 Sonnetpete: Disagree about 2* separation problem. Author will be using not standard LNB holders, therefore 4,8*E-7*E-9*E and 26*E-28,2*E are more than possible. In my area is no reception of 26*E, but it is easy to get 4,8*E-7*E-9*E on 3 separate LNBs with maximum signal quality. Even more, perhaps, on 9*E it is possible to catch some transponders from 10*E. What was the reason you have difficulties with 16*E? Too close to 13*E and 19,2*E? Again, for Godzillafan and his LNB holders 13*E-15,8*-19,2*E will not be complicated.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
sonnetpete said:
Of the sats you've listed I wouldn't bother with 33°, 31.5° and as Rima says 18°W. You'll probably struggle on a few, 26° will be awkward because of the 2° seperation to Astra, as will 9°E and 7°E. 4°W is flaky most times and I don't think you've got a chance of anything from 7°W (well maybe the very strongest vertical transponder....if it's clear....and at night.....) I've also had problems trying to set up 16°E and can only get one transponder with relative ease on a Black Ultra. The situation for 16°E might improve when the new sat goes up later this year.

RimaNTSS said:
2 Sonnetpete: Disagree about 2* separation problem. Author will be using not standard LNB holders, therefore 4,8*E-7*E-9*E and 26*E-28,2*E are more than possible. In my area is no reception of 26*E, but it is easy to get 4,8*E-7*E-9*E on 3 separate LNBs with maximum signal quality. Even more, perhaps, on 9*E it is possible to catch some transponders from 10*E. What was the reason you have difficulties with 16*E? Too close to 13*E and 19,2*E? Again, for Godzillafan and his LNB holders 13*E-15,8*-19,2*E will not be complicated.

cheers guys

Had to take the laptop off earlier to coole it and just put in a new 4gb ram stick, running at 6gb ram now.

Thanks for all the advice again.

So I leave out 18W, but I can try all the others since the lnbs will be going on the diy metal bars. I am in a position to move up and down on the metal bars and get them close together.

Reason I listed all of the E sats was because after months of reading the T90 threads, I noticed that many of the guys had luck obtaining some sort of signal on close sats.

Thats good enough for me.

Its just a case of finding of all the ones listed, which ones will be impossible and not worth a bash.

Also if I have missed any out, please do let me know. I am going to start with 19 in the middle and then go from there.

Its was raining this weekend, so I could not get back up the ladder after Thursday first try and it being a eye sore for the neighbours.

This week I am going to try one lnb at a time and see what kind of signal and strenght is possible before I start writing positions on the metal bar.

I went as far as 18W because the metal bars I have added will allow me to get a few extra lnbs on the ends. Was not sure if 12.5w or 18w would be the limit.

Hakon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My setup
Laminas180cm P.M 60e-30w
24" SuperJack,Clark-Tech V-Box
Laminas120cm CM P.M 75e-30w
18" Superjack, Clark-Tech V-Box
Gibertini XP premium 100cm
Polar Mount, 12" Superjack
75e-30w
2 x Vu+ Duo
My Location
Sweden south
Looking good so far, but... are you aware how the T-90 works ? The dish has a limit of how many sats it can "see" . It's not possible to just add more LNB as long as the LNB bar is long enough. But you will find out this further in your project.
Keep up the good work.:-righton

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
@Rima: I did say that 26° and 28° would be awkward not impossible LOL I have them both on my TD88 but the only way I can get them both working is by using a Black Ultra on 26° and a narrow headed LNB on 28°. Otherwise two standard LNB's give you too much seperation. I realise that the OP has a larger purpose made dish which might allow for sats this close together.

There's no problem getting reception from both 19° and 16°, however the transponders on 16° vary greatly in power making the elevation adjustment critical. Having experimented for quite a few weeks I think there is quite a bit of compromise involved in getting acceptable signal levels on all LNB's. Sadly 16° is towards one end of my LNB bar and if I peak up 16° my 42° doesn't lock. I'll just put up with it until the new sat is launched.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Hakon said:
Looking good so far, but... are you aware how the T-90 works ? The dish has a limit of how many sats it can "see" . It's not possible to just add more LNB as long as the LNB bar is long enough. But you will find out this further in your project.
Keep up the good work.:-righton

I should rephrase that 'long bar adding more lnbs' - bascially metal rods stick out a small amout after the original bar. The extra lnbs will go on each side of the bar/rod. Whatever I get is a bonus, so if it stops at 45E, its a bonus. If it goes as far as 12.5W then I will be very happy.

If they are not achieveable then 42E to 5W is good enough. Thats will be ideal start and the rest will be an experiment.

Cant wait to get stressed over those lnbs.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Yes, LNBs for 2* separated satellites better to have narrow-nosed, like ALPS, SHARP, BlackInvertoMulticonnect etc.
What Hakon half-word is saying (and I am totally agree), that performance of T90 on LNBs hanging over edges of standard LNB-rail is not as 90cm antenna's. If LNB is located on rail's scale 30 than performance might be as 25-30cm antenna's.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
RimaNTSS said:
Yes, LNBs for 2* separated satellites better to have narrow-nosed, like ALPS, SHARP, BlackInvertoMulticonnect etc.
What Hakon half-word is saying (and I am totally agree), that performance of T90 on LNBs hanging over edges of standard LNB-rail is not as 90cm antenna's. If LNB is located on rail's scale 30 than performance might be as 25-30cm antenna's.

Got it - using smart gold tit'n which are quite small too - I hope that they will do the job as they are highly rated as most of them are.

Hanging off the sides - its going to be try and error and whatever I get will be a bonus - I will find out in a couple of weeks time and will be report everything on here.

Not sure there is a 90 on here(site) from wales - would be interested to find out (who has one) what results they got.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:

30W is pushing it...might be another project.
If 19 is your central LNB 45ºE (at 26º off centre) might be just about do-able with the modified guide bar if you're lucky. Going the other way you can forget anything past 5ºW, at least for the time being. You can try for 26ºE but I think you will be wasting your time. Everyone says at least a 1 metre dish is needed even for powerful signals from Badr4. That leaves you 45.0E, 42.0E, 39.0E, 36.0E, 28E, 23.5E, 19E, 16E, 13E, 10/9E, 7E, 4.8E, 0.8W, 4/5W, 14 satellites in total. That's 2 spare ports on the switch. You could set up a motorised dish on one of them to deal with the bits of the arc not covered by the T90, or where it is too small for good reception.

RimaNTSS said:
performance of T90 on LNBs hanging over edges of standard LNB-rail is not as 90cm antenna's. If LNB is located on rail's scale 30 than performance might be as 25-30cm antenna's.
Not that the scale goes to 30 of course. When I had my T90 set up facing due South (0º central) I could pick up 30ºW which is a 54dB satellite (45cm dish). This is so far out of the guide bar though that I wouldn't bother except for a really powerful satellite that can be received on a mini dish.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Yes Heuvos, perhaps I should qualify what I said about 26°E. In clear weather I can get most of the TP's from Badr4, certainly the one carrying MBC......but I should point out how much further south of the OP I am and the fact that 26° is at centre. It is on a Triax TD88, however I think there's only an outside chance of Godzillafan picking up anything. It might be worth him trying an LNB on it's own in the centre and seeing what's possible, obviously if it's no go, he'd be wasting his time trying to pick up a signal off centre.

His neighbours have already expressed concerns about the dish that's going up, I can't see an additional motorised set up going down well.......not to mention what his wife would think of the idea. Ahhh, how much easier this hobby is when you're single!!!