My Slingbox needs a HOME *cough* host

Sandbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 60cm offset dish / single Invacom 0.3 LNBF / DM600 PVR
My Location
Bahrain (Middle East)
I have just bought myself a brand new Slingbox Pro (UK version) and I'm looking for a very kind person who would have the space and be willing to host my Slingbox for me at a UK address for me to watch on the other side of the world.

- In return I would get you signed up to a fast ISP that has really good upload speed. I have been eyeing up _https://www.bethere.co.uk/ as they offer ADSL Annex M which is 24Mbps download and 2.5Mbps upload. This connection would be yours to make use of as well of course.

- I'll pay a small contribution towards your electricity bill + negotiate a fee for your time for setups/maintanance etc.

- And finally, I have access to 1 & 2 Mbps unlimited upload/download connections here in Bahrain so I could also return the offer should you want content from this part of the world. The two major sat companies here are Orbit and Showtime Arabia.

If anyone's interested, please PM me.

Cheers :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Approved as it is not card sharing.

Matt24

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not purchased yet.
My Location
Bahrain
Hi Sandbox

Did you ever get this sorted and working? ...I am moving to Bahrain in a few weeks and had researched the same set up as you with the PRO box and Catcher.

I am now concerned about the broadband limits and whether you have got the whole thing working based on a normal broadband connection at each end?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Matt24 said:
Hi Sandbox

Did you ever get this sorted and working? ...I am moving to Bahrain in a few weeks and had researched the same set up as you with the PRO box and Catcher.

I am now concerned about the broadband limits and whether you have got the whole thing working based on a normal broadband connection at each end?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

If this doesn't work out, you can use the BBC iplayer
_http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
No problem with radio channels, but for TV you get an error message that your IP is outside the UK and will not open the channels.
There is however a possibility to sign up for a paid proxy server so that your IP would look like it is coming from the UK.
Search the forum. There should be a post here somewhere.

Matt24

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not purchased yet.
My Location
Bahrain
Thanks for the reply. I ended up just ordering the slingbox anyway and found someone to test it for me in Bahrain and everything worked perfectly! Full access to all SKY channels and full control of the box in the UK. They are using Batelco for their broadband.

Sandbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain (Middle East)
Hey Matt,

I didn't go forward with my project because I discovered that Batelco doesn't offer unlimited downloads - plus Bahrain is pretty broadband impoverished and it's so damn expensive!!

I was going to subscribe to the fastest connection in the country - a 2Mbps which has a monthly download cap of 25GB and costs 60 BD a month (160 USD/month) - that's almost 2,000 dollars a year!!

Sure I could have settled for a nasty 256 or 512 connection but the picture quality would look shyte on my 42" plasma.

I'm flying back to the UK next month now so it's all good! :) I'll be signing up to Freesat HD... jealous? :)

Matt24

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not purchased yet.
My Location
Bahrain
Its still bloody expensive but a compnay called Lightspeed do a better connection and its unlimited,...so I am going to order this when I go next week!

I think its still 60 dinar a month though but I am weighing this up against other savings we are making by moving!!

Fortunately my sister is hosting it in the UK but its still a pretty costly thing just to get UKTV in Bahrain.

Sandbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain (Middle East)
I used to be a Lightspeed customer - a very unhappy one! :)

They sucked big time. I canceled my service on the 14th day.

Luckily they hadn't introduced the mandatory 12th month contract back when I was a customer.

Their 2Mbps costs 65 Dinars a month, it'll tie you to a 12 month contract, and it's not really an unlimited service like they say it is. They throttle your connection when you go over an undisclosed 2 digit figure (in G:cool:.

They consider this an "abuse" of service which is how they justify slowing down your connection on a so called 'unlimited' package.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
i have sky uk to sling 24/7 with good upload looking for Showtime Arabia for sports in return if anyone is interested pm me

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
So,if I have showtime over here how would it work for us ? What would i have to have installed ?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
hi zorba
you would need a slingbox connected to your sat receiver to send me your stream
to receive a stream i.e from me for example you only need the slingbox software
i have added a slingcatcher to my setup which i can send the stream from my router to my main tv when necessary
google slingbox theres plenty of info there
if you have anymore questions ask here hope this helps
regards
martin

danmetro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony computer windows 7
My Location
London
Does anyone have access to Orbit show time. Looking to be able to get the full service happy to pay good money to get the full service up and running and reliable service. this to be run over a fast sling service (Sling Pro or HD)

any options or solutions would be welcomed!

combridge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
azbox premium
viasat hd,sky hd,
tecnomate 6900 hd
1.2 motorised dish
1.8 precision
My Location
staffordshire
ihave full skyhd package would like to swap with some one for orbit showtime if thats possible thanks i have a slingcatcher thanks