New 4k box now available

lovinthetelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD, Wavefrontier T90 with 16 quad/octo LNBs receiving 42E/39E/33E/28E/26E/23E/19E/16E/13E/10E/9E/7E/5E/3E/1.9E/1W/5W/12.5W through 3 EMPCentuari 16-way DiSEqCs to TBS6522, Octagon SF8008 & Edision Primo IP S2.
90cm for 7W/15W; 1.2m CM in storage.
My Location
UK
I don't suppose many on here will be interested in such a restrictive device, but anyway...

The third generation of Freesat devices has been released. At present, only the '4K TV Box' is available - with 500GB, 1TB & 2TB PVRs to be released in the coming weeks. These boxes will sit alongside the non-smart Manhattan SX box, which provides basic access to satellite services only.

The 4K zapper box is currently available on Amazon, priced at £124.99. It is expected that CurrysPCWorld, Argos & John Lewis will also stock the new boxes - followed by some independent retailers. An important difference with G3 devices is that Freesat is directly involved in the supply chain; they now sell the products (manufactured by Arris) to retailers, rather than (say) Humax.

These boxes are not the revolution that some expected - they're using a slightly modified version of the G2 user interface, which dates from 2012. So in terms of end user interaction and day-to-day usage, these are virtually identical to the old G2 boxes from Humax.

There are some differences, though:
- 4K support - with UHD content currently available through Netflix and YouTube
- Wideband LNB support - allowing compatibility with SkyQ LNBs and the ability to record up to 4 programs at once on PVR models
- A standardised Freesat remote control that can also control your TV
- Dolby Atmos sound
- Improved internal specifications - to allow future development with streaming apps, light-encrypted content, app connectivity, IP-delivered channels etc.

Attachments

• fsat3.PNG
    fsat3.PNG
    205.6 KB · Views: 38
  • fsat2.PNG
    fsat2.PNG
    440.5 KB · Views: 38
  • fsat.PNG
    fsat.PNG
    619.5 KB · Views: 35

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looks like no SCR on this model either.