Newbie Here New member from s.africa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have been told I need at 1.5 metre ku motorised dish and a 2.3 metre c band motorised dish to pick up FTA signals in S.Africa. It will be an adventure.
My Location
South Africa, Eastern cape
Rotated the LNB.

Managed to get into the SRT settings, and am adding 68.5E.

Which frequency should I allocate to it, from this menu ?

I tested a couple, and nothing from the blind scan.

Attachments

• srt 1.jpg
    srt 1.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 27
  • srt 3 lnb flat.jpg
    srt 3 lnb flat.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 26
  • srt 4.jpg
    srt 4.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 17
  • srt2.jpg
    srt2.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 21

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Rotated the LNB.

Managed to get into the SRT settings, and am adding 68.5E.

Which frequency should I allocate to it, from this menu ?

I tested a couple, and nothing from the blind scan.

Check the label on the LNBF or the box it came in for the L.O. value, it will probably be 5150 or 5.150 depending if it is in MHz or GHz. Use that to select the option in the LNB Frequency for the Strong receiver.

If there is no L.O. value available from the LNBF label or box use a value of 5150 for the receiver. It is not a critical setting, all that will happen if you use an incorrect C-Band L.O. value will be that any frequencies scanned in will not be reported correctly, they will have incorrect frequency values but they will still give pictures.

The LNBF looks to be correctly orientatied for polarity skew. If a blind scan of the full C-Band frequency range does not lock any frequencies you may need to marginally rotate the entire mount/dish assembly on top of the pole by a small amount and repeat the blind scan. You might need to do this a few times to locate the satellite.

The frequencies you are looking for will be in the range of 3400 MHz to 4200 MHz, if you are using the Strong SRT default transponders you need to use ones that are in this frequency range. One of your pictures (srt 4.jpg) shows you are using Ku-Band transponder (10989V) for scanning. If you have set the LNB Frequency in the receiver to 5150 it should automatically blind scan the range of 3400 to 4200 MHz.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have been told I need at 1.5 metre ku motorised dish and a 2.3 metre c band motorised dish to pick up FTA signals in S.Africa. It will be an adventure.
My Location
The C-Band LNBf has the following specs. I can't find details on the supermax website if it has a dielectic plate.

I rechecked the tilt angle along the frame, and it's consistent 59.1 (the pics say 59.0, but I later fixed).

I am pointing the dish over some trees (based on angle from dishpointer), which shouldn't be in the way. I can get them trimmed but would like to first get any sort of signal, to make sure that's the issue.

2 local installers might be available this week. I am just about finished trying.

Attachments

• lnbf details.jpg
    lnbf details.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 16
  • tilt 1.jpg
    tilt 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 15
  • tilt 2.jpg
    tilt 2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 14
  • tilt 3.jpg
    tilt 3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 15
  • tilt 4.jpg
    tilt 4.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 15
  • tilt 5.jpg
    tilt 5.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 36

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The C-Band LNBf has the following specs. I can't find details on the supermax website if it has a dielectic plate.

The LNBF L.O. value is indicated as 5.15 GHz on the box it came in. In the Strong SRT receiver set the LNB Frequency to 5150. Other than that it is just a case of locating the satellite. The dielectric place is just a rectangular slab of some organic polymer such as acrylic or perspex and is about 3mm thick and the length of the internal diameter of the LNBF. Was there anything like that in the box?

The elevation to the 68.5 East satellite is just over 30 degrees, if you know the distance to the trees and the height of the trees you can calculate if the dish line of sight is clearing the trees. In fact, there is an option on the dishpointer website to perform this calculation for you.

There is another C-Band linear polarity satellite at 46.0 East with quite a few frequencies and a fabourable beam footprint for your location. It is also higher in the sky with less chance of obstruction by trees and no dielectric plate needed. If you have enough stamina left for a try at this one until the installers arrive you might strike lucky? The LNBF will need to be slightly rotated to cope with the different polarity skew angle for 46.0 East.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for all your help.

I didn't give this enough thought going in (although the person who sold me the dish suggested the place we should put it).

I am going to have to relocate some aerials, before testing 46E ( the dish will block internet signals)

It's definitely a steep learning curve.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A dish of that size and ground based is unlikely to interfere with WiFi signal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The dish needs to be flattened from the current 59.1 angle to 44.1 to look for 46E. It will take out the 5g aerial. Am just gonna get the 5g aerial moved.

Attachments

• aerial sat r.jpeg
    aerial sat r.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 34

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I used the coordinates that were illustrated in a Dishpointer picture that you uploaded to the forum to get an idea of the proximity and height of the trees. Depending on the precise location of the dish, some of the trees might be partially blocking your line of sight to 68.5 East? I can upload the picture showing the line of sight and the trees to this topic if you wish but did not want to do so without your consent?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I don't mind, but the picture is a bit dated. There has been a considerable drought in this area, and the trees are struggling .. with
not that many leaves etc.

Aerial man is coming in 2 hrs .. will try for 46E later this evening. There is no way any trees can get in the way of them.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The trees have got me - I am going to have to negotiate with the next doors and find a landscaper.

I should have done more thorough preparation, as a friend keeps reminding me PPP (preparation prevents problems) .

Maybe others can learn to do proper assessments etc. I haven't shone here.

Attachments

• trees 1.jpg
    trees 1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 17
  • trees 2.jpg
    trees 2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 17
  • trees 3.jpg
    trees 3.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 16