SatFan73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.4m PF + 1.8m PF + 90cm + 2x85cm + 80cm
Edision Primo IP S2
My Location
Portugal
Hi,
Long time satellite enthusiast here. I'm looking to upgrade from the EDISION PRIMO to a 4K receiver. Since I 'm not happy with Edision support, I wish to stay away from them. After much reading I think maybe the Octagon SF8008 mini is the best choice. I want:
-4K HDR
-H265
-DVB-S2X
-Multistream
-Low symbol rate capability (<1000)
-Able to record multistream channels without issues (Primo and SX88+ have serious issues)
-Able to receive BBC Satback on 27.5W
-Sensitive tuner/demodulator
-Able to record in TS format with the selected program + audio tracks + subtitles, all in one file.

I think the most future proof (if there is such a thing) is an Enigma2 receiver. Although from what I see I Enigma2 receivers are not user friendly. I like the fast switching between satellites list and favorite channels the older boxes give.

The new SX88 4K is not an option because of the Diseqc issues reported and there is no feedback regarding sensitivity.
Does the SF8008 mini do all this?
I ask for your opinions and suggestions.
Thank you!

Mooncamm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Gibertini dish, Octagon SX88 Receiver
My Location
Lincolnshire
Hi,
Long time satellite enthusiast here. I'm looking to upgrade from the EDISION PRIMO to a 4K receiver. Since I 'm not happy with Edision support, I wish to stay away from them. After much reading I think maybe the Octagon SF8008 mini is the best choice. I want:
-4K HDR
-H265
-DVB-S2X
-Multistream
-Low symbol rate capability (<1000)
-Able to record multistream channels without issues (Primo and SX88+ have serious issues)
-Able to receive BBC Satback on 27.5W
-Sensitive tuner/demodulator
-Able to record in TS format with the selected program + audio tracks + subtitles, all in one file.

I think the most future proof (if there is such a thing) is an Enigma2 receiver. Although from what I see I Enigma2 receivers are not user friendly. I like the fast switching between satellites list and favorite channels the older boxes give.

The new SX88 4K is not an option because of the Diseqc issues reported and there is no feedback regarding sensitivity.
Does the SF8008 mini do all this?
I ask for your opinions and suggestions.
Thank you!
Nice post.
I have heard of H266 is coming out next, so I have been waiting for that as well as the above.

SatFan73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Primo IP S2
My Location
Portugal
H265 came out in 2013 and today still only very few sat channels use h265/hevc. H266 standard was finalized this year, so it's probably going to take a few years before we see any significant number of h266 channels. I think H266 will be adopted first by IPTV, and for now I'm not interested in IPTV.

Mooncamm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lincolnshire
I also prefer the satellite dish route. I have a stab / Gilbertini 1 metre at 53 east to 34 west. Backed up by a 60 cm 19 east dish with a bolted on Technomate LNB to give me 28 east. I am over 60 years of age and can only maintain my dishes in spring, summer and autumn as my bones don't function right in the cold. If my main set-up fails I have my fixed dish. When I first started over 30 year ago there was just 27 west and 13 east in KU band, nowt else. Your upgrade list looks good, I will stay tuned to see if someone posts a good reply and might treat myself to a new 4k receiver either before or after Christmas.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I also prefer the satellite dish route. I have a stab / Gilbertini 1 metre at 53 east to 34 west. Backed up by a 60 cm 19 east dish with a bolted on Technomate LNB to give me 28 east. I am over 60 years of age and can only maintain my dishes in spring, summer and autumn as my bones don't function right in the cold. If my main set-up fails I have my fixed dish. When I first started over 30 year ago there was just 27 west and 13 east in KU band, nowt else. Your upgrade list looks good, I will stay tuned to see if someone posts a good reply and might treat myself to a new 4k receiver either before or after Christmas.

If your television is close to redundancy then perhaps one with a modern satellite tuner built in would be a better use of resources.

SatFan73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Primo IP S2
My Location
Portugal
"When I first started over 30 year ago there was just 27 west and 13 east in KU band"
I remember those days... One Intelsat, one Eutelsat and if I remember correctly one Gorizont in C-band. I started with a completely manual receiver, even the polarization selection was done by hand! That was probably the receiver I kept in use for longer.

Mooncamm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lincolnshire
"When I first started over 30 year ago there was just 27 west and 13 east in KU band"
I remember those days... One Intelsat, one Eutelsat and if I remember correctly one Gorizont in C-band. I started with a completely manual receiver, even the polarization selection was done by hand! That was probably the receiver I kept in use for longer.
Snap. :) I had 7 days on horizontal, then I had to go outside with a spanner and turn the lnb from horizontal to vertical and have 7 days on that. Then I used a terrestrial aerial rotator and used that to turn the dish so that I could get from 27 west to 13 east without going outside and moving the dish. Satellite dishes are still a great hobby. I just wish that European countries would share their basic tier channels instead they scramble the whole lot to conform to access rights. There was talk once that when we joined the common market all channels would be available for all countries. That idea didn't last long. I have multistream to get French channels on 5 west but how long that game will last I don't know. It could scramble anytime like the other pay stuff already on that satellite.
Getting back to the first post:
-4K HDR
-H265
-DVB-S2X
-Multistream
I think I could be happy with something, I have seen one of the VU models would do the above list.
I have my grown up grandson (19 years old) living with me blasting out his music and I need peace and quiet to learn anything new and to pick it up well.
As my own distraction, I listen to shipping on my Uniden radio scanner so I have quite a lot going on, no time to be bored. :)

SatFan73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Primo IP S2
My Location
Portugal
5W used to come strong here in Portugal, easy to receive with small dishes. Now, after the satellite switch, for the transalpine beam 1.5m is the absolute minimum. Some Italian channels are easier but the French ones not so. Satellite TV is still a great hobby and now you can buy big dishes second hand for little money and get the more exotic signals, specially in C-band. :)
The VU+ is well regarded but a bit expensive considering what you gain upgrading from a Primo IP S2. I'm considering one of the newer Octagon's SX 4K or SF8008 mini, but disappointed by the lack of reviews and feedback.