Philthefinn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
foretec star zeta
magic module
triax 900mm
My Location
cornwall
I have just bought a Magic Module secondhand. Plugged into my Fortecstar Zeta and it recognises it. So far so good. Unfortunately when exploring the menu I selected upgrade firmware expecting some further options only to see "deleting old data" displayed. If you remember the spagetti western super slo mo scenes then that was me reaching for the exit button...too late!:-Nooo
The machine has since been turned off a number of times and with no card inserted so I gather it will have reset. The menu now says Mrv2.2, H/w 1.5, s/w 2.2, loader 1.0. Assuming i will now need to replrogramme I have ordered a serial loader to stick in it and linkto PC and have downloaded "Magicload" and "magicload original" plus "penta111conax23march.rar" in anticipation. I assume the loaders are to manage the download onto the module and the pentacrypt is the firmware replacement. Not sure what card I then need as i thought the module will decrypt anything which does not need a key and that a card is only required either as a formal subscription orr to access specific networks

Can anyone confirm I am heading in the right direction and if not point me there before I make an even bigger mess with my limited knowledge!!!

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi Philthefinn,
it looks like your Magic Module has been converted to a Matrix Cam, Probably using a Cas interface. Both of these Cams are well past their sell by date, but you have more chance of opening channels with a Matrix than a Magic Cam.
If you go through your Cams menu see if there is any way to manually update keys, using your receivers remote control, then you might be able to open a few channels.
The latest Cams are the T-Rex 4.6 and the Diablo Cam.
Please post back with more information on your Cams options in the menu, as I think Mrv 2.2 is for the Matrix Revolutions Cam and although the latest software is version 2.25 you might still be able to open a few channels.
Hopefully someone with a similar Cam can provide more detailed information.
Best wishes
Mickha

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Having spent your money it is now too late to advise you even an MM programmed for Mrv is basically completelu useless

Philthefinn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
foretec star zeta
magic module
triax 900mm
My Location
cornwall
Mickha,
Sounds cedible. thanks for reply. Menu gives options of Edit CAS KEY, CHANGE NAGRABOX KEY, BLOCKER, UPGRADE FIRMWARE, SET DEFAULT KEY. Any help? I haven't gone to the next level on the menus just in case i make things even worse.

I won't be too upset if it is of limited value as I only paid £15 for it on e bay. This si more of a learning exercise......hopefully!!

Phil

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You should be able to get SRG Swiss package on Hotbird 13E, encrypted in viaccess, and you could try changing the keys for a few others, to see if it works, updating the keys wont cause any damage to the cam. Go through the menu and have a look, you can always exit if you don't feel comfortable, and at least it will give you practise for future Cams and receivers.
Have a check through the links section, click on Forums on the home page and scroll down to the Links Section (Formerly Nobby's Big Links), this will give you some links to sites with keys.

Philthefinn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
foretec star zeta
magic module
triax 900mm
My Location
cornwall
Thanks Mickha,
I can access keys on next level of menu in Viaccess 1,2,3, irdeto, conax, nagravision etc. Had a play and it did unlock some channels I couldn't get before. Will take your advice an play witht he keys to get to know it.

Does all this mean that when my reciever said it was deleting old data when i pressed update firmware that it didn't? Is the firmware still there if ther menus are active?