Newbie looking for DM-600s guidence

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Computer - Windows 7, CuteFTP, FlashWizard
My Location
Bromley, London
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Dreambox world, but I am very interested. I am looking to purchase a DM-600s-PVR but I would just like to ask a few questions before I do so. Forgive my ignorence, but what does PVR stand for?? I know that it is something to do with having external memory connected to the receiver, but just dont know what it stands for.

Also, once I have my box, i need to flash an image on to it. What is the purpose of this?? I will use Dreamup to do the flashing, is this ok??. I would like to use the DM as a full entertainment system, as well as watch channels which are locked. How would I go about receiving some of these locked channels??

thank you

phoenix

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
PVR = personal video recorder.

If you want to receive pay channels the best way is to buy a subscription to the channels you are interested in :-rofl2

Very little is open on keys patches codes or flashes these days, and any other method is fraught with difficulty and danger.

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
lol, thank you the making me feel like an idiot, lol.:-ohcrap:-bash

So what is the purpose of the images?? and is dreamup ok to flash them. Am I right to assume that the images are some kind of operating systems for the dreamboxes, telling them now to run. where do I get the from and what found be a good image for the DM-600s pvr

thank you

phoenix

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The images are the software that run the box - different images have different features - its really down to personal choice which one you like the look of and what features you want.

No idea about Dream Up and the receiver - I dont use it on my 7020.

There are various sites you can get images from - have a look around the DB section and see what folks are using, then put that name into google.

andel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800, DM600, Technomate Diseqc Motor, 90cm Dish
Panasonic 42" Plasma 1080p
Pioneer VSX-LX70 Amp
Sky HD
B & W 5.1 Speaker Setup
Popcornhour Media center
Xbox 360
My Location
Watching T.V in the UK
I find a much easier way to flash an image to the old enigma 1 boxes (DM500, 600 ect) is to use dreambox control center. Once you have your network settings connected then its much easier than trying to find an old computer with a com port or mess about with usb adaptors.

.....or do as compufunk says in the sticky at the top, dreamup is a last resort IMHO

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
I thoguht that the DM600 box was quite a few box?? Could I have been mistaken, so what is newer then the DM600s PVR box but still has the same functionalities.

also, what is card sharing about?? i've seen the term in quite a few posts around but have no idea about what is means??

thank you

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Nevermind, I found out what card sharing is all about. what are CCcams??? in relation to card sharing??? please

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
CCCam is just on of the numerous emulators available for the Linux boxes. CCCam happens to allow c/s if you know what you are doing & have a valid share.

You have a LOT of reading to do if you want to learn more about this topic - we wont hold your hand and give you step by step instructions.

Be aware that if you buy access to a commercial server, or buy a receiver with paid for subs on it you are on your own - our rules specifically forbid any help whatsoever for ANY problems at all (not just with the share) where we suspect access to a commercial sever.

A nonymous

Reaction score
You don't need DreamUp with the DM600 receiver. It can be done from a Web Interface the same way as you can on a DM7020.

The DM600PVR isn't that old. It is now classed as an entry level standard definition box. They are good little receivers, if a little basic. They can power a motor with no issues at all and they are usually quite stable little boxes.

The next thing up to that is the DM500HD or DM800.

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Hi guys,

I would just like to know what peoples opinion is of the OPENBOX S9 HD PVR. From all the information that I have found, it is like the DM800HD, but cheaper and easier to use. Any feedback would be much appriciated.

thank you

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
phoenix101 said:
Hi guys,

I would just like to know what peoples opinion is of the OPENBOX S9 HD PVR. From all the information that I have found, it is like the DM800HD, but cheaper and easier to use. Any feedback would be much appriciated.

thank you

The Openbox S9 is nothing like the DM800, it just has a basic linux OS, not Enigma2 like the DM800 use's.

If you want a Linux receiver that works, can have a 7day epg, can read most subscription cards and uses most softcam's I'd recommend looking at the VU+ receivers.

Code:
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Vu

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
does epg stand for electronic program guide

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
phoenix101 said:
does epg stand for electronic program guide

Yes it does.

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Ok, guys i've changed my mind. I'm going to purchase the openBox S9 because there are so many good reviews about it everywhere and i want HD channels at a good price, lol. I got a £700 HD TV without any HD programs on it, whats the point, lol. :confused

where can i download CCcam from please??

A nonymous

Reaction score
You'll have to forgive me getting straight to the point. The openbox S9 is pretty sh**e if you intending to use it for CS.

Its only any good as a client box, which means it won't read any cards, so if you have nothing to share people won't share with you. it just doesn't work as a server.

It also constantly locks up when viewing certain HD channels on Sky and the picture leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't waste your money on an Openbox S9, buy a proper receiver that will do the job you need it to.

Nano

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
phoenix101 said:
Ok, guys i've changed my mind. I'm going to purchase the openBox S9 because there are so many good reviews about it everywhere and i want HD channels at a good price, lol. I got a £700 HD TV without any HD programs on it, whats the point, lol. :confused

Without a valid share you can download what you want and it wont do any good whatsoever

And if you are thinking of buying into one of the commercisl share sites then to be blunt you are a fool.

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
phoenix101 said:

Dont be fooled by the reviews and low price tag! If you want something that fully work's look at the VU+ receviers. If you want just a CCcam client look at the new range of Technomate HD receviers or the Spiderbox's. we looked at the OpenboxS9 and decided they wouldn't be worth the grief.

Code:
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Technomate-HD-Receivers

Code:
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Spiderbox

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Hi World,

Thank you for your reply. I really appricate it. I've just been looking at the spiderbox's and i was just wondering, what is the main differences between the HD 7000 and the HD 9000??

thank you

A nonymous

Reaction score
The Spiderbox is pretty w@nk to :-lol

Stop messing around and buy either a Dreambox, a TM 600/500 or a Vu+

If you want to CS get a receiver that the firmware can cope and adapt to all aspects of CS.

It may even be worth looking at the ABCom IPBox range of receivers if you want something a bit cheaper :D

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
guys, I'm more confused then ever now. I want a good, decent HD box which I can use for C/S . I box which is easy to use and navigate and has a 7 day EPG. I don't really want to have to spend more then about £150 on the box itself. please someone point me in the right direction. This is soo confusing :-worship