Advice Needed No Satellite Signal Being Received message

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
Hi all
New to the forum hoping to solve this issue without calling out an engineer, moved in to our house a couple of years ago and inherited an old Sky dish and Box had no intention of subscribing to Sky just used the Box to watch a few free to view channels and regular TV through, a couple of week back the remote started to play up not selecting channels etc then stopped working all together installed new batteries and still no go, not long after got the No Satellite Signal is being received thought it might be the Box itself which was an old box ( first image attached ) i also checked the dish itself which as we live near the coast was severely rusted so i thought best option all round was to replace the whole system, i purchased a new Zone 1 Dish c/w a Quad LNB ( 2nd image attached ) and also purchased a used Sky + HD box ( 3rd image attached ) , i have since installed the new dish and aligned it using a Satellite Signal Meter which hopefully should be ok, i have checked all the cables with a multimeter and all are showing fine i have cut back and refitted all the F Plug connectors, i have changed the box settings to single feed mode, refitted the cables switched on and the same No Satellite Signal is being received message has appeared, i have gone in to settings on the menu and there is nothing showing on the signal bar and Input 1 Lock Indicator is showing Not Locked , hope i have given enough info for someone to advise on what the issue may be, forgot to mention is there any particular socket on the LNB that i need to connect the cable in to only they are not numbered as shown on the last image

Attachments

• IMG_20211107_120747253.jpg
    IMG_20211107_120747253.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20211107_120904895_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211107_120904895_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20211107_120824785.jpg
    IMG_20211107_120824785.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20211107_121057844_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211107_121057844_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Chances are you are not pointing at the correct satellite. Does the signal meter show the same strength at the receiver end of the cable as it does at the dish end? Is LNB Power Supply set to 'ON' in the Sky installer menu (where you selected single feed mode)?

All outputs on that LNB are the same and it does not matter which one the cable is connected to.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Wrong Satellite ......

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Also there is no advantage to using single feed mode if you have two cables. Using two cables will ensure the EPG is always updated.

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
Chances are you are not pointing at the correct satellite. Does the signal meter show the same strength at the receiver end of the cable as it does at the dish end? Is LNB Power Supply set to 'ON' in the Sky installer menu (where you selected single feed mode)?

All outputs on that LNB are the same and it does not matter which one the cable is connected to.
Hi Ozumo
Thanks for your quick reply i do appreciate it, i checked the satellite i was connected to before Astra 2 with a Satellite finder app and set it to the same position checked it against my neighbor's dish which is only a few feet away over the wall and all seems ok, havent checked the signal strength at the receiver end yet will do that, cant seem to find were to check the LNB is set to ON the attachment is all that is showing re the signal unless i am looking in the wrong place lol

Attachments

• IMG_20211107_134547772.jpg
    IMG_20211107_134547772.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
Also there is no advantage to using single feed mode if you have two cables. Using two cables will ensure the EPG is always updated.
Did run a second cable from box to dish to check that and still same message but can re attach 2nd cable thats no problem

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Press services button on the remote then 0 0 1 select, it's two above the single feed mode option.

What signal meter are you using?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the signal meter is beeping or swinging the needle when connecting to the Sky box, then there will be voltage, it is likely as mentioned above that you are on the wrong satellite and moving the dish slightly east and down a bit should bring up a stronger signal on your meter.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hi Ozumo
Thanks for your quick reply i do appreciate it, i checked the satellite i was connected to before Astra 2 with a Satellite finder app and set it to the same position checked it against my neighbor's dish which is only a few feet away over the wall and all seems ok, havent checked the signal strength at the receiver end yet will do that, cant seem to find were to check the LNB is set to ON the attachment is all that is showing re the signal unless i am looking in the wrong place lol

Satellite positions are generally only spaced around 3 degrees from each other - It is very common indeed to align on an adjacent position. Very common.

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
Press services button on the remote then 0 0 1 select, it's two above the single feed mode option.

What signal meter are you using?
Images of LNB ON and Signal meter i am using, once i get my ladders back i will re check the dish alignment, anything else i should be checking

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
Sorry forgot to attach

Attachments

• IMG_20211107_150919421.jpg
    IMG_20211107_150919421.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • Satellite Finder.PNG
    Satellite Finder.PNG
    774.8 KB · Views: 14

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Keep the signal menu open on the Sky box when aligning the dish, the Network ID/Transport Stream value will show 0002/07e0 when you are pointing at the correct satellite.

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
Keep the signal menu open on the Sky box when aligning the dish, the Network ID/Transport Stream value will show 0002/07e0 when you are pointing at the correct satellite.
Thanks for all your advise Ozumo i will update when i am able to get back and check the Dish alignment

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
i see the problem, you havent connected coax to the LNB in on ene picture.

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
i see the problem, you havent connected coax to the LNB in on ene picture.
Sorry forgot to mention took coax out to change it to a different connection to see if that made a difference and just happened to take the photo at that point , should have mentioned that

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
u r probably aligned with 19.2, or 23.5 and not 28.2e - hence no signal.
it can be misleading when comparing angle to a nearby dish as i found out recently.
if u can get someone to watch the sky box, as you move or setup a whatsapp or some kind of video call, one end pointed at the tv screen and other with u - so as u move dish u can monitor signal levels.

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
u r probably aligned with 19.2, or 23.5 and not 28.2e - hence no signal.
it can be misleading when comparing angle to a nearby dish as i found out recently.
if u can get someone to watch the sky box, as you move or setup a whatsapp or some kind of video call, one end pointed at the tv screen and other with u - so as u move dish u can monitor signal levels.
Great thanks for your help I will do as you advise and report back , fingers crossed :D

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
Great thanks for your help I will do as you advise and report back , fingers crossed :D
make sure to make very small movements at a time, especially if using video call method to accomodate slight lag.

Backupjack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Cornwall
Hi all
Managed to get up to the dish today, pleased to say you were spot on with your diagnosis :Y we now have a signal not brilliant as the wind started to get up so had to bring a halt to proceedings but will get back up when calmer and get the fine tuning done, big thanks to all of you who offered advise and i know were to come to if things go pear shaped again :D