Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Triax td78
Nova box
My Location
Portslade
Hi all,

First post although I have been reading through the forum for the last few months!

I am half greek and live in the Uk, my brother is currently visiting and bought me a new nova "in a box". I got a triax td78 and black ultra lnb to connect it and followed all the instructions. My basic satellite finder is indicating that the signal is strong but the box shows no signal and stops searching for channels after 15%. There is no real time change when moving the dish so I am unsure where were going wrong!

The box is not activated as he was told by nova that the FTA channels must be located before they activate the subscription. I figured we just call them when we get a signal.

I understand that there are several satellites close by, should I buy a digital sat finder to locate 13e hotbird to ensure I got the right one or should I just call for someone to do it for me? I'd hate to give up but it I might have to accept defeat!

Many thanks!

Kat

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Kat, if you go into the satellite menu of the receiver does it have a signal strength measurement and what does it show?

If you have found one satellite, try perhaps moving slightly to the west and up a tad to see if you can find another.

Go to this link http://www.satellites.co.uk/dishpointer/ type in your postcode and set the satellite to Hotbird, then you can check to see if you are pointing close to hotbird 13 East.

Blukat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Triax td78
Nova box
My Location
Portslade
Hello, thanks for the reply! Both options on the signal menu are 0% and they don't seem to change when the dish is moved (not sure if it should). Should I be changing any of the box settings?

Blukat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Triax td78
Nova box
My Location
Portslade
I will try moving the dish again tomorrow. Would a digital satelite finder or motor assist with locking in to the right satellite?

I have attached some photos, please ignore the dangling cable!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 188

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
from the last picture of the dish you need to tilt the dish up a little and you will hear the satellite finder scream when the signal gets very strong.

Also check dish pointer website or the phone app to give you the direction to point the dish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Dishpointer link is in my post above wod.

Also, does the signal finder have a little attenuator knob on it? If it does, you need to adjust it until the tone minimises, then repoint the dish, keep doing this until it can't get any better.

Blukat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Triax td78
Nova box
My Location
Portslade
Still no luck I'm afraid. I've moved it to the correct elevation and azimuth, lnb Skew etc but still 0% signal. There are No trees or buildings ahead. Anyone know any installers in the Brighton/portslade area? I'll have to give up!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I'm surprised you get 0% showing, notwithstanding lack of alignment: Every receiver I've used or heard about gives a finite and significant reading even with the dish pointing wildly out >>> It is an indication that the LNB is connected and powered up (detecting noise etc.).

So getting zero doesn't compute: Do you have a Menu called Antenna Setup, DiSEqC, LNB settings or similar?

Actually you will have, somewhere!

If you can play around and find an LNB selection Menu, make sure you have got Universal (or Universal 1, or Universal 9750/10600)) selected and that LNB power is On. I imagine it is "On" as your Meter is squawking, but indulge me and check anyway.

Bear with us and don't give up: This is bound to be something simple.

Blukat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Triax td78
Nova box
My Location
Portslade
Lnb type is set to universal and lnb power to auto. Like you say it's probably something very simple, I hope it's not the cables or box as it would be very hard to replace!

Blukat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Triax td78
Nova box
My Location
Portslade
Thank you for all you help guys, I gave up in the end and called a local installer. He said hotbird is a little harder to find but he used his gadget and managed to get it in a few minutes. £60 later I got 95 and 100% signal.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well Hotbird is a high power Satellite cluster of the same order of strength as 28E, so alignment isn't really different in complexity - but the point is you hadn't got it and you've probably done the right thing. Price isn't too bad either, considering, travel time, time on site and overheads, so just sit back and enjoy it!