Help Required Octagon fs8008 What firmware

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I think the SF8008 was one of the first out of the blocks with 4K capability at an affordable price, so the support and sheer number out in the wild would surpass other models.

gs887

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm-5402
My Location
Warwick
Good point. Didn’t realise it was one of the first. Saw the Amiko Mirax his 2000 earlier. Any reports on this one.

gs887

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm-5402
My Location
Warwick
Well, pressed the button and ordered the 8008 dual. Thanks for all the advice both for and against, very helpful indeed and all comments are very much appreciated.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
you wont be disappointed - E2 is a steep learning curve, but at least you can use the DEFINE firmware - you have the best of both worlds.

this is very unique - ive never known a receiver that lets you run a NON E2 software, AND an E2 software on the same box, without any hacking involved.
Well, pressed the button and ordered the 8008 dual. Thanks for all the advice both for and against, very helpful indeed and all comments are very much appreciat

gs887

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm-5402
My Location
Warwick
Thanks. As you say a steep learning curve. Some things I’ve achieved ok, the simpler things I’m not sure about. Never tried multistream before but have it working on 5w. What I’m unsure about is how to backup the channel lists and the whole machine. Think I should do this before I progress any further. Went through to the image backup and can see, Slot 1 Openatv 6.4 as USB recovery
Slot 1 Openatv 6.4 current image
Slot 2 Define 6.3

Above these it says use up/down buttons to select an installed image to start. So I guess I’m in the wrong place to backup.

Must admit I’m impressed at the quality. SD looks almost like HD. Thought BBC World had launched hd at 13 east. :)

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
...What I’m unsure about is how to backup the channel lists ...

You can use something like dreamboxedit to back up and edit the channel list and send it back to the SF8008.

gs887

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm-5402
My Location
Warwick
Could I use a usb in fat32.
Then go to Menu - setup - software management - backup system settings
or
Menu - setup - software management - backup image. Then select slot 1 openatv as usb recovery.

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
Could I use a usb in fat32.
Then go to Menu - setup - software management - backup system settings
or
Menu - setup - software management - backup image. Then select slot 1 openatv as usb recovery.
first go to Menu - setup - software management - advanced and then select usb then backup system settings.

You can also press blue then backup system settings

gs887

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm-5402
My Location
Warwick
Excellent, thank you. Does this backup the complete box including openatv or is it just the channels/favs. cheers

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
Excellent, thank you. Does this backup the complete box including openatv or is it just the channels/favs. cheers
Its everthing like that from the settings file, Just remember if you install a new image and want you channel list you have to press blue software manager setup and change overwrite settings file.

Its a matter of choice tho if its just channel list you want then E-Channelizer / dreamboxedit are good too

gs887

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm-5402
My Location
Warwick
Ah, thanks Jason. So anyone who corrupted the main Openatv OS would simply download the latest version and the important data files could be added afterwards which would be backed up.cheers Jason that makes sense. No wonder wherever I looked I couldn’t find how to make an image of openatv. cheers

Offtensive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, GigaBlue UE 4K, Zone 1 28.2e, Zone 1 30W. Kathrein 1m 5W - 23E
My Location
Midlands

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham

Offtensive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, GigaBlue UE 4K, Zone 1 28.2e, Zone 1 30W. Kathrein 1m 5W - 23E
My Location
Midlands
I was after the most recent stable/non-nighty version of openatv for the sf8008. It’s post 12 in the thread I linked too (I can’t seem to link to the correct post) - that’s the most recent update posted by octagon for the sf8008 on here.

I was wondering if that is it for openatv, I’ve only been able to find nighty versions of openatv via Google.

Ferret

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gigablue UE 4K
Octagon SF8008
Viark Sat 4k
Viark DRS2
Qviart Dual
BuzzTv XRS4500
Nvidia Shield
Eachlink X3 Mini 4/64gb
My Location
Leeds
I was after the most recent stable/non-nighty version of openatv for the sf8008. It’s post 12 in the thread I linked too (I can’t seem to link to the correct post) - that’s the most recent update posted by octagon for the sf8008 on here.

I was wondering if that is it for openatv, I’ve only been able to find nighty versions of openatv via Google.
Stable Versions mate 6.4

DOWNLOAD