OCTAGON SF8008 E2 4K UHD

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
What is a 'MUPG' file type (as per first listed download) ?

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Have you set a password, in your receiver?
Some of the latest images insist you set a password, before you can communicate, with your receiver, from your PC, including when using DreamboxEdit or Filezilla.

You can set a password using telnet commands, I used PuTTY to set a password.
Start PuTTY, enter your receivers IP address, select Telnet, and open.
Type root, and then press enter.
At the prompt type passwd and set a new password, press return key and confirm the password, you will not see the password, as it's being typed.

Re-start your receiver then try using your Enigma 2 PC software, remembering to use the password.
Yes I had a password in my Receiver but I got to know that with this new Image the P/W has to be changed.
So for anyone who might encounter this Problem......... go to 'Setup>system>network>password setup>new password'.
It worked perfectly with DreamboxEdit but I encountered a problem with DCC in the sense that it was telling me that the (Function send socket was
not connected) under ''Dreambox'' So I pressed the 'Search button' and chose the the right IP. Then everything was ok.
N.B. I know about the PuTTY Command. Thank you very much for your response.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
OCTAGON SF8008 & SF8008M MINI DUAL OS Linux SW V10530 16-09-2020

Changes:
1. update os. to latest version.
2. modified bigger font size for subtitle.
3. modified SID numbers limit for bis.
4. improved SAT>IP function.
5. modified the subtitle position.
6. browser some minor bug fix.
7. some osd bugs fix.
8. Delete ALL channels freeze & hangup problem fixed.

Online Update:
Menu - Software Update OK - 0000 - Internet Upgrade: v10530 OK

Online Aktualisierung:
Menü - Software (Firmware) Update OK - 0000 - Internet Methode: V10530 OK

Online güncelleme:
Menü - Yazilim güncelleme OK - 0000 - Internet methodu: V10530 OK

SW offline - USB:
Recovery Bootmenu (E2):

OCTAGON GERMANY SUPPORT

I had a go at updating the 8008 earlier with the attached files via USB stick, dcompressing to the usual kernel.bin/software.info etc.
I have ended up with a zipped up rootfs and user (.tar) files that the receiver does not work with during the firmware update. Are these to be further unzipped before puttng on the stick since there are a lot of files in there with exceedingly long prefixes, plus a lot of duplicate names that appear in the list.

Still not sure about the .mupg suffix either.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
I had a go at updating the 8008 earlier with the attached files via USB stick, dcompressing to the usual kernel.bin/software.info etc.
I have ended up with a zipped up rootfs and user (.tar) files that the receiver does not work with during the firmware update. Are these to be further unzipped before puttng on the stick since there are a lot of files in there with exceedingly long prefixes, plus a lot of duplicate names that appear in the list.

Still not sure about the .mupg suffix either.

plug in a network cable, turn box off, hold front button, turn on. do an online update via internet

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
plug in a network cable, turn box off, hold front button, turn on. do an online update via internet

I have already put the receiver back to factory conditions, and I previously used the ATV (6.3) image, I could never get 6.4 to install.
Apart from no Kodi it has been stable for quite a few months but I thought I'd like a change.

The main issue is that updating online isn't possible online, there are too many suggested updates for the receiver, (over 240) before the receiver crashes , the only option I have found is to use the recovery back to 6.3 again.

What does the download from Octagon achieve beyond ATV if it can be installed , apart from the features/debugs mentioned ?

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
i dont understand your point.
flashing with the method i explained (which is outside of E2) - you have a choice of different images to choose from - Vix, OpenATV, all sorts.
u can also choose where you want them out of the 4 available slots.

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I would like to know what the firmware within the last message #639 from Octagon Germany gives if I install it in the receiver. Currently it does not unzip in a format the 8008 understands, I have been able to fit updates previously using the USB method.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
i dont understand your point.
flashing with the method i explained (which is outside of E2) - you have a choice of different images to choose from - Vix, OpenATV, all sorts.
u can also choose where you want them out of the 4 available slots.

Any assistance ?

The receiver will not update online (no network found despite there being a wired cable from the router.

I have had to reinstall ATV 6.3 for the time being, each time I try to update I get the same '240+' updates available, if I accpet and move up to the latest ATV6.4 (yesterdays) the receiver allows this and then hangs at 100 on the screen.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
Any assistance ?

The receiver will not update online (no network found despite there being a wired cable from the router.

I have had to reinstall ATV 6.3 for the time being, each time I try to update I get the same '240+' updates available, if I accpet and move up to the latest ATV6.4 (yesterdays) the receiver allows this and then hangs at 100 on the screen.

Does your router assign assign IP addresses automatically - i.e DHCP ?

You can test this, by plugging that same cable into a laptop, and see if you get internet or not. If you do, then the STB should also - i do notice, that you have to wait about 40 seconds or so, before the network is established and an IP address is shown...

remember, switch on, whilst holding the circular button in at the front, light changes colour, let go - and then let it does magic - wait for the network to establish, and flash away (i think its called network update)

i can do u a video later...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes, I'm using the same LAN cableas I do with the laptop and it is automatic.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
Yes, I'm using the same LAN cableas I do with the laptop and it is automatic.

just to be sure, you definitely havent manually assigned an IP \ DNS etc for that laptop???

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
from you image go to recovery and it will boot to neco in the top left it will show you ip address ( if you have one)
Under the main menu you should have v1.0-6/24/2020 well thats what i see.
On the right shows mnt/ mine onlys show what is connected to usb3 port

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I've not assigned any connection, plug in the laptop and it finds the router.

Ja5on

Yes I have the same menu version on screen.

If it helps I can jump from ATV 6.3 to 6.4 with firmware in the USB (plus the update.bin file), 6.3 always says it is out of date, despite updating but it is stable. It is 6.4 that suggests there are 240+ updates but fails to power up after these are installed.

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
That was reported yesturday about updates and wont boot.

Try another ethernet port and get a ip address then you dont need to use usb. Just flash new image and start over or use a backup

Or if your in 6.3 or a working image, just press blue then flash online, select a image and then slot and its done.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK

Try another ethernet port and get a ip address then you dont need to use usb. Just flash new image and start over or use a backup

Or if your in 6.3 or a working image, just press blue then flash online, select a image and then slot and its done.
this is my point, forget the USB method. although sounds like you might have a network port issue, does the network (wired) work when in E2 ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

I reported it a couple of months ago, possibly longer.

Yes, 6.3 works. I will take pictures of the procedure when trying to update online (should/is there be any difference to wired and wireless connection to the router ?)

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
I had the same message when updating from time to time. One days 3 updates 4 days later 250 updates lol Then i backup first

You can only use wired in neco but iv never had any problems.
If your not getting a ip address in neco then unplug and try again or another port, nothing to lose really?

You could alway download a image and add it to the box and use the flash online

S

Sleepingwiththefish

Beware, is just not E2 that updates, but everything else (skins, plugins, ...), and sometimes they are not in synchronized.
Also, Linux kernel/utilities will update when changing image version 6.3>6.4, so it needs a fresh flash, then restore settings.

Trying to have E2 STB always up-to-date can make the system very unstable.

Newbies often complain that STB is not able to boot or is even freezing before/after reboot after updating, that is a well known problem.
Also many problems may arise with continuous online updates, one on top of the other, some people update it every day, then, they have problems every day!

The recommended away to troubleshoot these problems is doing a fresh flash with latest image using USB method (and following the procedure for the specific STB, then, if you have problems, you may check for updates.

There's core system stuff that may only update when using USB method ("online flash" in OpenATV may also work, not recommended for trying to fix weird system behavior).

Most inexperienced Enigma2 user tend to try to have always the system updated when is not needed, E2 is open-source, people use their free time to contribute and try to make things better, things can go wrong.

Most experienced users will only update if needed, if needed, they use terminal (SSH) and choose what to update.

I personally run a few E2 receivers that even run a lot of background tasks using Linux tools (shell), I also help people set them up, a couple of mine have crazy high uptimes and can't remember last time I had problems with them (freezes, crashes,...).

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Any assistance ?

Yes same happened to me....the RX will hang at 100. So I used the USB to install 6.4 from 6.3 (plus usb. update_bin. ) and it was ok then

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
http://www.octagon-germany.eu/
My Location
http://www.octagon-germany.eu/
OCTAGON SF8008 & SF8008M MINI DUAL OS Linux SW V10531 27-09-2020

Changes:
1. Option Menu extended.
2. DVB CH. List INFO Button added.
3. Media added to Hotkey.
4. Minor issues fixed.

Online Update: