Octo lnb with multiswitch

fitzyboy2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Wales
Good evening..

Can anyone tell me if an octo (8 way) lnb can be used with a multiswitch, if so what one...

Cheers

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
One of these should do it:-

_http://www.vision-products.co.uk/pdf/Vision%20Data%20Sheet%20(V75-508_V75-512_V75-516).pdf

fitzyboy2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Wales
thanks for the quick reply, so these multiswitches will work with an 8 way octo lnb?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
They will work with a quad, they should work with an octo with the other 4 outputs going to waste.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Any Q2 Multiswitch will work it of course only requires four feeds.

fitzyboy2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Wales
ta for the info, but the setup is there are 6 feeds from the dish on a new build all cables hidden, 2 for sky+ going to the living room and 4 going back to the basement for a multiswitch to feed 6 points around the house for sky and freesat, is there any other way of doing this?

Cheers

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
A switch that supports Q2 will select the required band from a universal ports of the Quad or Octo LNb.

barrykap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6800, Technomate TM6800 Super, Technomate 5200, Humax Foxsat HDR, Humax CI-8100, Lemon FTA, Force Frontier T90, Channelmaster 1.2 + Jaeger 1224, Misc other bits and bobs.
My Location
North Staffordshire
Hi.
I have an Octo LNB for Astra 2 feeding four receivers (dual tuners). I wish to use an Optima MS512 5 x 12 multiswitch to provide additional Astra 2 feed pairs and I read that this box will accept a 'regular' Quad LNB input as well as the Quattro type. What I am asking is, could I use four of the outputs from the Octo LNB to feed the multiswitch and the other four outputs from the same Octo LNB for other (non-switched) feeds? ie. I use half the Octo LNB to feed the multiswitch and the other half to feed 'straight-through'. Hope this is clear! :-)
Cheers if you can help.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Your question was answered already in the other posts above yours.;)

barrykap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6800, Technomate TM6800 Super, Technomate 5200, Humax Foxsat HDR, Humax CI-8100, Lemon FTA, Force Frontier T90, Channelmaster 1.2 + Jaeger 1224, Misc other bits and bobs.
My Location
North Staffordshire
Half-answered actually.

It said the rest of the Octo would be 'going to waste'. I just wondered if that meant they would be disabled (and thus unusable) because of the multiswitch operating on the other four.

Thanks.

barry

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
3/4 answered actually LOL, as the OP was going to use two of the spare outputs for his Sky+ box. I only said 'going to waste' as at that point I didn't know why he was using an octo

An octo LNB is equivalent to 2 quads or 4 twins or 8 singles, there is no reason why 4 couldn't be used for a switch and the other 4 for individual receivers (or even another switch). All ports on twins,quads and octos are independent and each can supply either band or polarity on demand.

barrykap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Staffordshire
Thanks Robbo.

Since then, I have actually connected it all up and can confirm the 'spare' outputs on the Octo do work so all is sweet. :-)

Cheers.

Barry

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
normaly an octo will not run a multiswitch.
an multiswitch rewuires 4 seperate inputs some 5 for terestial.
a multiswitch for centerlized systems needs a quatro with hor low,hor high,vert low,vert high. where an octo or 8 outputes are all the same and can run 8 devices.
it could run 4 sky pluses in 4 different parts of the house but each sky plus will need 2 line.
further on a quatro if you put the wrong line to the wrong spot it will not work.if you hook up the vert to the hor side or high to low side the multiswitch will not work.
it would be nice if the 10 or 12 output multiswwitch generated its own 22 khz as well as its own 14 to 18 volts so any 4 output lnb could be used and its sets itself up by its self but it doens't.
ralph

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Multiswitches with Q2 technology can use a quad or Octo as well as quattro ralph, as mentioned above.

barrykap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Staffordshire
Having connected the Optima 5x12 Q2 multiswitch up. I am having problems with Sky receiver.

As mentioned, I have an Octo LNB on a large dish for 28.2E satellite reception.

My intention was to use four of the eight universal LNB outs to feed the multiswitch. Having first ascertained that this switch IS Q2 type and will accept a Quad LNB feed.

At the moment I have three dual-tuner satboxes plus a TV with a single Sat tuner which I wanted to feed from this switch. I also intend to add more satboxes later including another Sky+ HD box of my neighbour, to save him getting a new dish.

My current boxes are;-

Sky + HD (Amstrad model)
Humax Foxsat HDR
Panasonic DMR-85EK Blu-ray recorder (with dual Sat tuners).
Panasonic Freesat TV.

So by connecting four of the feeds from the Octo LNB to the input of the multiswitch and the switch outputs to the three satboxes and TV (utilising seven outputs for now), I was hoping that everything would work sweet.

While two of the satboxes and the TV work fine, unfortunately, the Sky box will not pull in anything. It just displays 'no satellite signal being received'. This is on both of it's tuners and signal strength/quality is zero. On the other two it is all fine, 100% on both tuners plus the TV is fine.

I have since tried just about every conceivable configuration to try and get Sky to work, without success. Tried different LNB outs, swapped the inputs around, different switch outs etc. All my cables are brand new freshly made up for this setup. My fingers are ground down with constant twisting of F connectors. :-)

So after trying all this for two days I am left with having to by-pass the switch and just use the Sky box and one tuner of the Foxsat plus the TV. It all works fine without the switch with 100% signal on everything.

Can you throw a light on this problem? is a Q2 multiswitch/Quad LNB setup incompatible with Sky boxes?

Cheers.

Barry

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Does the switch have a manual button or anything to make it work in Quad LNB mode?

barrykap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Staffordshire
Hi Robbo. No, it's fully automatic. Only switch available is for switching a 12v feed to the terrestrial input for powering a mast-head amp.

Cheers.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
mmmm, if one of the other receivers works fine on the exact same ports but the Sky box doesn't, I expect that it is some kind of "issue" that no-one really knows the answer to. Some Freesat box have been reported to have probs with some quads.