Old Motorized System

zarf99

Reaction score
I have just bought an old motorized system - for a good price. I haven't installed it yet but would like some info. The system is about 7 years old and comprises a 1.0M dish with polar mount, don't know the make, an echostar LNB which says "lnb bku2353 type ilnbtbxxx o.8db" (I believe it is triple band) with polariser. A hyperjack actuator, nokia sat1700 receiver and nokia 5152 positioner, and a philips d2mac decoder (looks like a modified bsb unit). I also got several d2mac cards of various types.

What I would like to know is - the positioner takes 5 wires motor a +b, pulse +5v and ground. The receiver takes 2 wires for the polariser. Are any of these wires common - most motorised receivers I have seen have 6 inputs. My reason for this query is that I have a fair bit of 4 core alarm cable and was intending to use 2 lengths of this, 2 sets of 2 cores twisted together for the motor a and b and use the 4 cores in the other cable for the pulse, +5v, ground and the polariser. If one of the wires in the polariser is common to those on the positioner then I can take a feed off it at either end. If not I'll have to buy some more cable.

The other questions are

will the triple band lnb work with a digital receiver in the future. If it would then presumably I'd need to get one which will accept a current type polariser.

If not, If I get a universal lnb suitable for digital, will it still work with the analogue set up. I'm considering sky digital, but I know the receivers won't drive the current polariser.

I think thats enough questions for now

thanks

zarf99

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The 6 inputs you refer to on most motors are 5 matching the max 5 wires on the motor/actuator itself, and one additional for polarisor skew.
Some receivers have an additional facility for ferrite polarisors - they are presumably the additional 2 connections you mention. They can not be combined as far as I know.
Cable is cheap enough. My advice is buy the extra (so you can run two full lengths of 4 core = the max 8 needed) - I've made the mistake myself in the past of trying to save cable, only to find later when I changed to a different setup that I now had too few cables and had to lay more - several hours work in my case...

If you intend to run a digibox, you MUST have a universal LNB (ie one which accepts the usual 22khz & 13/18v switching signals for H/V polarisation and band selection). Our friendly monopolist Murdoch is hell-bent on keeping customers locked into a dumbed-down digibox - so he's hardly likely ever to incorporate a separate polarotor/ferrite control...

Many second-hand digiboxes and all new ones are sold/installed with a dish + universal LNB. Your best bet is to have two separate systems. That's what I have - a normal steerable dish/etc for most stuff and a separate minisdish/digibox just for the UK-stuff. Then you can also independently watch and tape channels from two different sats...

2old

zarf99

Reaction score
Thanks 2Old,

I've had a look at the actuator and noticed that it has only 4 connections, 2 for the power to the motor, one signal cable and one shield. so I may be ok with 6 cores after all. One cable of 4 cores doubled up for the motor power, and the other 4 core cable using 2 cores for the sensor and 2 for the polariser. If I've got enough cable I'll run a 3rd length for future use.

thanks for your help

zarf99

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Indeed, some motors/actuators take 4 connections, some 5. The heavier-duty ones tend to take 5. My SilentGold Jaeger 99 has 4. My Norwegian FIBO (for larger dish) has 5.

2old