OPENATV 6.4 set up information request

Seaview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish with positioner, openatv 6.4 Edison receiver
My Location
South coast Ireland
Is there a guide anywhere which would help me with basic set up Openatv 6.4 on Edison OS NINO PRO. A bit confused about tuner settings and other satellite selection list for scanning. Dish and positioner seem to be set ok. I can select satellites and the scan proceeds but very few lock in. Ready to give up...

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Open ATV is just an image, similar to other Enigma 2 images.
Can you please post more details, regarding your set up, and expertise, using Enigma 2 receivers.
Do you use a motor using USALS?
Have you set your Latitude, and Longitude, correctly? Remember negative Longitude readings = West, Positive = East.
What size dish do you have, and which satellites are you receiving?
There is an old video, showing the setup of Open ATV 6.1, but it might help:

Seaview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South coast Ireland
Hello.
Many thanks for the quick response.

My set up is as follows:-

-Receiver is Edison OS Nino Pro S2X + T2/c, Using Openatv 6.4, tuner A currently configured.
-1 metre dish with universal LNB.
-USALS Positioner Motor with digital read out.
-Longitude 6.903 West, Latitude 52.242 North. (South East Ireland)

Positioner/dish direction and declination seems to be correct, I can manually scan most of the satellites on the Eastern path, ie. Astra 1, 2, Hotbird etc. basically any which have a decent signal.

The settings for the tuner A are giving me some difficulties, ie. whether to use Simple or advanced, also which USALS setting is best.
Selection of satellites within the tuner option seems to be straightforward, however satellite selection is requested again when using automatic scan.

I am informed that the dish initial position should towards a satellite which is closest to my South.
How do I tell the scanning setup which position I am using for initial scan? Do I just manually get the dish
to the initial satellite, in my case Eutelsat 3B. How do I register that position?

Can the auto scan differentiate between satellites which are very close together?

Any pointers about any of the above would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
When using USALS you set your dish/motor to 0, also your LNB, then you enter your correct Latitude, and Longitude, into your receiver and send your dish to an appropriate satellite.
Once done you physically move your dish/motor, to that satellite, then 0, on your satellite motor, should be pointing to your Longitude position, 6.9 West.
Eutelsat 3B is listed as being 3 degrees East, of South, whereas your closest satellite is 7 degrees West.

Auto scan just scans in the frequencies, in your receivers menu, it can't differentiate between satellites, so the only way you know is to check the channels, and frequencies, scanned in, against satellite lists, on sites like lyngsat, kingofsat, or flysat.

You don't need to set your tuner to advanced, just select Simple, Motorized and USALS options, if you have two tuners, connected to the same dish, save the second Tuner as second cable of motorized LNB.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Can the auto scan differentiate between satellites which are very close together?

Any pointers about any of the above would be gratefully received.
If you blind scan a location where 2 satellites are very close together (eg 9 & 10E) you will get frequencies from both satellites scanning in. You can set 2 satellites up with the same motorised settings & just put the active frequencies in on each of them though then just scan the chosen frequencies, although that can get very tedious to set up if you have to do it via the remote control

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The Edision Nino Pro is an E2 receiver with a blind scan setting to block out known frequencies from near by satellites.

You can choose to block known frequencies from satellites up to 3 degrees away from the satellite you are scanning. The referential used for blocking is the satellites.xml file that is stored in the receiver with the satellite and frequencies database in it.

Seaview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South coast Ireland
When using USALS you set your dish/motor to 0, also your LNB, then you enter your correct Latitude, and Longitude, into your receiver and send your dish to an appropriate satellite.
Once done you physically move your dish/motor, to that satellite, then 0, on your satellite motor, should be pointing to your Longitude position, 6.9 West.
Eutelsat 3B is listed as being 3 degrees East, of South, whereas your closest satellite is 7 degrees West.

Auto scan just scans in the frequencies, in your receivers menu, it can't differentiate between satellites, so the only way you know is to check the channels, and frequencies, scanned in, against satellite lists, on sites like lyngsat, kingofsat, or flysat.

You don't need to set your tuner to advanced, just select Simple, Motorized and USALS options, if you have two tuners, connected to the same dish, save the second Tuner as second cable of motorized LNB.
Thanks for all the help, I'm getting my ducks in a row bit by bit.., a small question.. How do I turn off video description on certain channels?
Regards...

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
There are multiple options, in the menu settings options, including length of time channel information is shown, when changing channels, I have mine down to 1 second. You can also stop any error messages, timer messages, and various other options, but a lot depends on your image, and skin.

Can you please provide more information, regarding video description?

Seaview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South coast Ireland
Sorry, I made a mistake, I should have written 'Audio description' ..:( ie. voice over video describing the action ..

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
That's easy to resolve, you need to set your Audio preferences, in the settings menu, Audio & Video, Automatic Language.
I have 4 Audio options, so I set the first to English, second to original, third to undetermined, and last to English, again, but you can set any language options you want.