Orbit showtime(osn) update august 2010

Digital2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s,Dreambox 800HD PVR,Max 1000,Vivax 505, Starsat 200CI. Desktop with WinXP, Laptop with Vista & Netbook with Win7. External HD/Media Recorder.Hotbird,Nilesat,Asiasat3S & Intelsat.
My Location
Middle East (Currently!)
The ORBIT SHOWTIME NETWORK (OSN) have now launched a few (about 10) channels in HD. Thats good news ofcourse but thats not all; they have STOPPED selling or renewing SMART CARDS!! Now THAT is BAD NEWS indeed! They are now 'pairing the card', so they want you to buy their decoder too which costs you more than the other BETTER HD receivers available in the market. Although they make it sound that the package/deal will get you the receiver 'free of cost', but when you look at the terms& conditions and the payments you have to make, it's NOT as they advertise; but thats what advertising is meant to do, isn't it? :)
It seems that the 'smart cards' are still available in other markets like in southeast asia but the dealers there claim that they bring it from the middle east! But where, thats not a 'commonly known fact'. Any further updates?
Regards.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
when you buy showtime for one year,then the kaon hd receiver is only 50€ nearly for free!
do you have signal on the new hd channels swtiched on last week?
in what area you are located and what dishsize do you use to receive the hd channels?

max1975

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eurobird 2
My Location
Uzbekistan
Hello there guys,

Thanks for your valuable info. I have actually been looking myself for advice on OSN.
I reside in Uzbekistan, which is covered by Eurobird 2 (25.5 deg.East) satellite.
OSN is carried on that satellite as well as Nilesat (7 deg.West).
Recently, I have tried to inquire from OSN as to how i can subscribe to their service.
According to their tech.support, they have already moved most of their transponders from
Eurobird 2 to Nilesat at 7 deg.West and the remaining transponders are not under their control
anymore. So, supposedly there is no way for me to subscribe as Nilesat does not cover Uzbekistan.
The OSN official website does list only one satelilte (Nilesat) as the one to set your dish to, mysteriously
leaving out Eurobird 2.

However, all OSN transponders on Eurobird 2 are still accessible through my dish, albeit those channels, apart from
CNNI are all scrambled. By the way, as far as CNN is concerned, the same OSN tech.support advised me that they no longer have license to broadcast it in Europe, so apparently i should not be able to watch either.
The latter is not the case either.

As you can see, all the advice and info. from OSN tech.support and from their website
I have received so far seem to contradict actual situation.
Also, I have not found a single piece of info. any where on the web which would suggest
that OSN have moved, are moving, or will be moving their service from Eurobird 2.
The only hint maybe the fact that they recently launched a replacement satellite for
Nilesat at 7 deg.West, which may not have anything do with it.
Can anyone give me a qualified clarification on this issue ?

As to the issue of HD receiver, I have heard that cs will still be available with it,
and that it is not a hinderance. Obviously, one would not want to go that route
and I am hoping OSN will establish some sort of presence for legal subscriptions here.
Provided, of course, they are not gonna relocate from Eurobird 2.

Thanks very much and i am looking forward to your comments.

Regards,
Max