Outlook express - email transfer

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I used to know how to do it but have completely forgot since I went to gmail.

A colleague from collecge died recently and his significant other half has asked me if I can provide her with our conversations going back some ten years as a reminder of our (and others) memories of holidays abroad, the various states (dress and intoxication) during the preparation, and some of the repercussions.

I would like to pull about 230 of emails from the inbox, I can search by subject and find them all nicely lined up in a list.
But how to transfer all of the messages onto a USB stick without doing them individually, using the 'save as' feature ?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Which operating system are you using?
I used to copy the all my folders, using explorer, from my old PC, to my new PC, or export them, then import them, but unfortunately Windows 10, and their new mail option, wouldn't allow that. so I used Microsoft Office Outlook, which automatically downloaded all my emails, and folders, then allowed me to import them onto my new PC.
In Microsoft Outlook you can use the Import/Export option, under file, but in outlook express it might be under tools, or navigate to the folder, by right clicking on My Computer, and selecting the explore option.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
There used to be a utility called Outlook Express Backup Wizard (OEBW). It can back up whatever folders you like and save them to a pst file and possibly other file formats that can be read by email applications.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
This is when I was using the office PC, Win XP (SP3)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
With XP you can easily locate the Outlook Express folder, an internet search has it's location in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{12345678-1234-ABCD-EFGH-1234567890AB}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.
The first thing I'd do is set up a new folder, in Outlook Express, by right clicking on Inbox, selecting the New Folder option, then copying the emails, into this folder, you can then copy this new folder, onto your USB stick, and then transfer them into a suitable email program.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks, but I was hoping just to pull the useful messages from the total (which number some 3000, some 1300 contain attachments), unless I can do this one all emails are safely transferred elsewhere.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
You can, by setting up a new folder, once the emails, you want to save, have been copied into that folder, you can transfer them anywhere you want.
You can highlight, and transfer, emails, in blocks, using the shift key, on your keyboard, by clicking on one email, holding down the shift key, then clicking on another, lower down in the list, or select them, individually, by holding down the Ctrl key.
Once highlighted you can either move them into the new folder, or copy, and paste, them into the new folder, I tend to use the Ctrl + C keys, to copy, and the Ctrl + V keys, to paste.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
That would work as long as I can create the block (based on subject/sender/recipient) , is there a specific command that allows this ?

I will have a go tonight.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
It's been some time, since I used Outlook Express, but you should be able to sort mail by sender, subject, date or size, similar to Office outlook.
A quick web search found this:
How do I sort emails in Outlook?
To sort the emails in your Outlook Inbox by the account through which they were received:
  1. Select View. ...
  2. Click the Sort button.
  3. Make sure All Mail Fields is selected under Select available fields from: at the bottom of the dialog that comes up.
  4. Now choose E-mail Account from the Sort items by drop-down menu.