Homebrew PC
P4 2.66Ghz
ATI AIW 9800 Pro
1GB Ram
XP SP2
My Location
Surrey
Hi folks.

I just got a Pace DS810XE, coz I wanted BBC HD for chrimbo, its cheap at the mo and hopefully when freesat starts next year, it should be of more use.

I was rather surprised and dissappointed to see that encrypted FTA channels (E4, More4, Ch5 etc) are not available without the sky FTA card, are there any alternatives to Sky FTA card or is that the only one available.

In the meantime, what CAM card or otherwise can I use to view free to air channels that are encrypted, Any recomendations ?

Do CAM cards take the Sky Free to air card ? I have an old Panasonic digibox which works intermittently, I'd prefer to just use the Pace DS810XE if possible, rather than swapping them over when I want to watch E4 !

So, if I did want to get a CAM card to view other channels what is suitable for the DS810XE, from what I've seen so far diablo doesn't work.

As an alternative I have a skystar 2 card, but my current PC struggles so frame rate is a bit slow on BBC HD, wondering if I should upgrade to a better PC or is it easier to get a cam and reader to get the channels I want to view.

Lots of questions, but I've been lurking around the forum for a while and I found more questions than answers so far :confused

TIA

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum sk1n67

Not really very well up on the HD stuff as yet but I'll answer what I am able

sk1n67 said:
I was rather surprised and dissappointed to see that encrypted FTA channels (E4, More4, Ch5 etc) are not available without the sky FTA card, are there any alternatives to Sky FTA card or is that the only one available.

Correct they are FTA on terrestrial but are FTV on satellite you need a Sky freeview card and a digibox

sk1n67 said:
In the meantime, what CAM card or otherwise can I use to view free to air channels that are encrypted,

All this is documented on the forum already but only a sky card and Dragon cam will do for the FTV channels unless I am mistaken

sk1n67 said:
I just got a Pace DS810XE, coz I wanted BBC HD for chrimbo, its cheap at the mo and hopefully when freesat starts next year, it should be of more use.

I am sure many others are hoping the same

sk1n67 said:
Do CAM cards take the Sky Free to air card ?

What exactly are you referring to? Are you referring to a CAM? conditional access module

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I'm pretty sure I read one post on here, saying that the Diablo CAM will also read Sky cards, the guy was pretty adamant about it. I'll post a link to it if I find it again.

There is also a question though, whether your receiver will take the TRex and Dragon CAMs anyway, last I heard there was a problem with the firmware, and a firmware upgrade was awaited (it may have come now).

EDIT:

Oh, here it was::)
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...492-can-sky-freesat-card-used-diablo-cam.html

Robbo