Promax Ranger - Owners/Users Topic

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi,

As there seem to be several owners or users of the Promax Ranger model range of meters I have created this topic to provide a place to group together comments and feedback.
To get the ball rolling I have a bit of news about the firmware update for these meters.

The Netupdate tool is going to be phased out and replaced by a web server process where the firmware update is download as a zip file, extracted and transferred to a USB stick.
Updating the firmware takes place directly from the USB stick in the meter.

Another point is that the firmware version currently seems to be specific for the Promax Ranger model.
The "Neo" range have the option to use firmware version 30.2 whereas earlier models than the "Neo" might not yet have v30 available to them.

Please feel free to chip in with your comments and feedback.
If the topic is not required I will ask an admin or mod to delete it.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi,

As there seem to be several owners or users of the Promax Ranger model range of meters I have created this topic to provide a place to group together comments and feedback.
To get the ball rolling I have a bit of news about the firmware update for these meters.

The Netupdate tool is going to be phased out and replaced by a web server process where the firmware update is download as a zip file, extracted and transferred to a USB stick.
Updating the firmware takes place directly from the USB stick in the meter.

Another point is that the firmware version currently seems to be specific for the Promax Ranger model.
The "Neo" range have the option to use firmware version 30.2 whereas earlier models than the "Neo" might not yet have v30 available to them.

Please feel free to chip in with your comments and feedback.
If the topic is not required I will ask an admin or mod to delete it.
I'd be lost without my HD Ranger for my feedhunting and installation checks. Member John has one too. We've just updated our firmware.

I don't think many members here have one (expensive), but perhaps in time one or two will appear on auction sites from contractors replacing theirs for newer models.

Last edited:

malsat

Reaction score
I've one for sale

SimonE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM dish with elevation jack, Supermount 1224 H-H rotator, Octagon SX88+, DR.HD D15, GT Media Combo, Ku PLL LNB, C Band: Titanium C1W-PLL, Ka Band: XMW R9216AF with FD9000 feedhorn, Inverto Saorsat LNB and Inverto Ka/Ku LNB . Zone 2 dish pointing at 28E with Octagon SF8008.
My Location
Gloucestershire, UK
I have the HD Ranger eco here on release 29.0. I would be interested what any software update offers??

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
HD ranger Plus here, haven't updated for ages. won't be upgrading to the newer range, as it does everything I want.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have the HD Ranger eco here on release 29.0. I would be interested what any software update offers??

Simon,

There may or may not be an update for your Ranger Eco. It seems the updates are model dependent and v29 is the latest for some models.
I have attached below a list of the models that firmware v30.2 is supposedly to be compatible with, however, no guarantees.

Attachments

• Ranger Model List for v30.2.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 9

SimonE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM dish with elevation jack, Supermount 1224 H-H rotator, Octagon SX88+, DR.HD D15, GT Media Combo, Ku PLL LNB, C Band: Titanium C1W-PLL, Ka Band: XMW R9216AF with FD9000 feedhorn, Inverto Saorsat LNB and Inverto Ka/Ku LNB . Zone 2 dish pointing at 28E with Octagon SF8008.
My Location
Gloucestershire, UK
Simon,

There may or may not be an update for your Ranger Eco. It seems the updates are model dependent and v29 is the latest for some models.
I have attached below a list of the models that firmware v30.2 is supposedly to be compatible with, however, no guarantees.

Thanks Moonbase. I bought my HD Ranger Eco to replace an HP Spectrum Analyser which failed a while back. I use it for feed hunting and dish alignment mostly and system checks for others on both satellite and terrestrial reception. The refresh rate is not quite as good as a spec an but its certainly adequate. SimonE

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Thanks Moonbase. I bought my HD Ranger Eco to replace an HP Spectrum Analyser which failed a while back. I use it for feed hunting and dish alignment mostly and system checks for others on both satellite and terrestrial reception. The refresh rate is not quite as good as a spec an but its certainly adequate. SimonE

Are you aware of the 'Service Mode' Simon , once opened there is a couple of setting tweaks for the spectrum display behaviour which you might like to try on your machine

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Are you aware of the 'Service Mode' Simon , once opened there is a couple of setting tweaks for the spectrum display behaviour which you might like to try on your machine

@John

Would you be able to post a couple of screen grabs of the main service menu and any sub menus to confirm what they look like?
Also, any tips as to service menu settings that tweak the spectrum refresh rate would be gratefully received.

I have applied the "Averaging" setting to lower the noise level when looking for beacons but not made any adjustments for the spectrum refresh rate.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
@John

Would you be able to post a couple of screen grabs of the main service menu and any sub menus to confirm what they look like?
Also, any tips as to service menu settings that tweak the spectrum refresh rate would be gratefully received.

I have applied the "Averaging" setting to lower the noise level when looking for beacons but not made any adjustments for the spectrum refresh rate.

Bare with me ...
It was actually our forum friend VMA that first made the option known to Llew and myself.
Here's the instruction to get to the 'Service Menu'
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
>>Press and hold the FOLDER button to open the settings menu.
Now press and hold the F3 key until a message pops up saying you activated the service mode.
Press and hold F3 again to deactivate the service mode.<<
Press F4 Advanced button to get you into the various adjustments.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I run my settings at 16 and 5 as shown in the screen grab.
** Forum friend Vitor (vma) is the main man with the knowledge for the Promax analysers and he might be able to throw additional light on the subject.
** Scrolling down the 'Advanced' screen shows additional adjustable settings .

Service Mode --.jpg- reduced..jpgService Mode.jpg-reduced..jpg

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@John

Thank you.

I got into the service mode, the Video Filter was already set at 16 and I had previously set Averaging at 5 from somewhere else in the non Service Mode menus.
The Video Filter option looks to be only available in Service Mode. It was not present in a similar list of adjustments available from one of the non Service Mode menus.

Promax Service Mode.jpg Promax Advanced.jpg

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
** Take Note: It must be pointed out that any pictures shown in this forum topic is for information only and must not be taken as an opportunity to alter settings within the meter which could cause damage. John.
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Once Service Mode has been activated it is possible to view various otherwise unseen information pages by pressing F3 Tools.

Promax Service mode...reduced .jpgPromax Service mode..reduced..jpg

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
** Take Note: It must be pointed out that any pictures shown in this forum topic is for information only and must not be taken as an opportunity to alter settings within the meter which could cause damage. John.
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Once Service Mode has been activated it is possible to view various otherwise unseen information pages by pressing F3 Tools.

Anyone know which setting adjusts the spectrum refresh rate?

vma

Reaction score
Website
vma-satellite.blogspot.pt
My Satellite Setup
RX: 3 motorized DiSEqC-1.2 dishes (100cm, 110cm, 120cm) + 7 regular dishes.
Main receiver: Vu+ Duo + many others & IRD
TX: Modulators for DVB-S/C/T + Dektec Modulators
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
Hello,

I own a HD Ranger 50 SE.

And yes, I have done some hacking. There are some options that can be activated. But many only work if your device has the required HW built-in. I am still trying to figure out how the GPS option works for the HD Ranger+ series: I guess the required GPS receiver has some custom ID programmed, instead of the normal ID of the Serial2USB IC.

Also, it was always possible to download all FW files directly... Just not in an official way.

Regards,
Vitor

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
Expanding a bit on this, a FW file of modern Promax field meters is actually a ZIP archive protected by a password.
Inside is the main binary, together with lots of other files and folders, mainly XML files. The folder structure does not represent the whole folder structure of the Promax meter and does not replace all files, just some of them. There are two main folders: one is for system files, the other for user files like settings.

The binary is shared between a range of models, i.e. all HD Rangers run the same binary.
What controls the different set of functionalities is partially what is defined in the XML files and then I suspect there might be a config/license file, but this is not accessible or at least visible.

The meter runs some kind of operating system (Linux? Not sure...). The upgrade proceedure uses some form of macro language, which calls the upgrade screen, select and verifies the model and does the upload of the encrypted ZIP file, remote controlling the extraction done on the meter itself. I did extract all possible commands, but without knowledge of the folder structure and file names, it is not possible (for me) to get to the license file.

The XML files specify for each model and its HW constituents, what can be done, etc.
Activating options through XML files is generally pointless, as the respective HW does normally not support that option. I can for instance activate satellite constellation diagram on my meter and the option will appear. But the constellation diagram will not be populated, I guess because my tuner simply does not support it.

Other options like said GPS option seem to be enabled through a different way. I did actually hack the binary itself and enabled most options the "hard" way (changing assemply conditions). While I see the options in the menu, they don't work, again due to lack of compatible hardware.
The only useful (?) option I was able to activate is the Spectogram option, which was not present in the 50 SE edition. Not that useful option, though... I thought it would enable a waterfall diagram, but instead it only activates some form of persistance display.

Conclusion: I know how to enable basically all options regardless of what the supposed license file says, but it is not useful, unless the built-in HW has the required functionality. I guess that models that have more capable HW fitted, automatically have the coresponding options active.

The next level of hack would be to exchange for instance the tuner with the top of the line tuner (for each DVB-S/S2, DVB-C and DVB-T). But this would require to know the exact required tuner model and being able to source it.

I have chosen to not make any of this public, in order to not harm Promax in any way. I believe that professionals should pay for their equipment and respective options.

This might be different for hobbyists (like myself), where a hack does not represent any loss to the manufacturer, but again the required information should not be made public, especially if they apply on devices being currently sold.

Anyway, I think that there is not much to hack on a regular Promax meter, there is considerable risk involved (bricking the device) and the HD Range and newer model ranges from Promax are already so versatile, that I don't see any point in hacking them.

I did so due to being bored during the lockdown...

On a side note, I have hacked the Sefram/Spaun models, too (I own two) and can easily enable/disable any option, change the calibration date, etc. But it is the same: most options require the respective HW, which a device without the option is normally lacking. I did however, enable the transport stream analyser and I think I had to hack the MIS support, too. Again, the GPS option requires a compatible module fitted, which I don't know the specs of.

Regards,
Vitor

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Vitor,

Thank you for your detailed feedback, most appreciated.

I was looking at the settings for satellite beacons in my Ranger Neo+ model and comparing them with the YouTube video by Promax for satellite beacon searching.
Dependent on the Promax Ranger model, some of them can go as low as 2 KHz for the resolution bandwidth (RBW), unfortunately my Neo+ can only go as low as 100 KHz for the resolution bandwidth.

Would you happen to know from your research into the file system if the resolution bandwidth of 2 KHz can be enabled on those models where it is not specified?
Or is it tuner defined and not firmware adjustable?

The reason I ask was that one of the beacons from 16.0E splits from a single peak at 100 KHz RBW into 5 peaks at 2 KHz RBW.
I was wondering if there are other beacons that behave similarly?

One of the gurus with access to a decent spectrum analyser can probably come along and upload a beacon plot at low RBW.
Where's "s-band"....

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
What frequency and polarity are you talking about at 16.0E?
I can try to see if I can receive the beacon and visualize it on a R&S CMU200.

Regarding your first question, I doubt that you can change RBW on any of teh Promax models, as this is certainly HW defined.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
What frequency and polarity are you talking about at 16.0E?
I can try to see if I can receive the beacon and visualize it on a R&S CMU200.

Regarding your first question, I doubt that you can change RBW on any of teh Promax models, as this is certainly HW defined.

It is the 16.0 East beacon at 11699.20 H.

I have attached a picture of the beacon below taken with a span of 2 MHz, other settings were Persistence = ON, Averaging = 7
The YouTube video is in the link below.

I need help, I am morphing into a wavy line merchant (bows head in shame).

Beacon_16E_11699.20_H.jpg

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
It is the 16.0 East beacon at 11699.20 H.

I have attached a picture of the beacon below taken with a span of 2 MHz, other settings were Persistence = ON, Averaging = 7
The YouTube video is in the link below.

I need help, I am morphing into a wavy line merchant (bows head in shame).

View attachment 139856

Youv'e got them bloody crayons out again :p. Didn't realise the Neo went down to 2 MHz span - very useful. Our tatty old Rangers only go down to 10 MHz span,

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
This is actually something that *might* be hackable...