Pye ctm4 - continental - tv from the 50s, any use ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I spotted this languishing outside the recycling area of our local tip yesterday, looking clean and complete, though it was just outside the cover and some sideways rain had got to it by the time I left.

There is one site that has a few pages of general restoration on these models, and the specifications are impressive once you acknowledge these were designed some seventy years ago, but there is nothing on what they might have a use for once running.

So, what is 405 line television good for these days, apart from nostalgia and heating a corner of the living room 20190509_104013.jpg20190509_104017.jpg20190509_104046.jpg?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Hmm, I got banned from that mentioned site for daring to ask what a custom-built power supply I bought could have been used for... :-rofl2

As for uses, not much really, if you have a 625 to 405 line converter, you could use the telly to watch classic movies and TV shows in glorious low-res black & white, other than that, sell to a collector of such things, they can either restore it or use it for spares to rebuild other televisions... :)