My Satellite Setup
SX88 4K
Penta 85cm
Technomate 2600 H2H
Black Inverto LNB
53E - 34.5W
My Location
East Anglia
So looking around on Lyngsat, I noticed that the power for our satellites that operate in Europe are listed as 53 dBW (Hotbird) and 51 for Astra 19.2, which both seem to be the most powerful hence needing a smaller dish.
the question is, if you look on 91.5e, that satellite operates at a power of 58 dBW, and 116e operates at a power of 62! does that mean they have smaller satellite dishes there, and how comes our satellites are not as powerful. I understand ours are powerful enough really but just a random thought

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ku signals being fired into tropical areas need to be more powerful due to the extreme rainwater absorption by storms

When the satellites are designed the power transmission arrangements depend on what the broadcasteers want / need and the perceived maximum acceptable size of the receive dishes.

Sat01Uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SX88 4K
Penta 85cm
Technomate 2600 H2H
Black Inverto LNB
53E - 34.5W
My Location
East Anglia
That would make sense, I didn’t think about the weather conditions, as I know C band is preferred in places such as Amazon area due to the precipitation etc. so another question on the same subject maybe, why for example on Turksat there are transponders with much higher power than others. I have an 85cm dish and one of the most popular channels Show Turk only shows 44% signal quality with an SX88 4k, most others are at 100%.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Traditionally one of the Indonesian broadcaster even used the S-band which is lower frequency than C-band.

The power downlinks on individual transponders will be in agreement with the broadcaster. Show Turk have had their own low bit rate tp almost as long a sthey have been transmitted in digital (although I can remember seeing them in analogue long ago :D )

Sat01Uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SX88 4K
Penta 85cm
Technomate 2600 H2H
Black Inverto LNB
53E - 34.5W
My Location
East Anglia
Traditionally one of the Indonesian broadcaster even used the S-band which is lower frequency than C-band.

The power downlinks on individual transponders will be in agreement with the broadcaster. Show Turk have had their own low bit rate tp almost as long a sthey have been transmitted in digital (although I can remember seeing them in analogue long ago :D )

Sat01Uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SX88 4K
Penta 85cm
Technomate 2600 H2H
Black Inverto LNB
53E - 34.5W
My Location
East Anglia
Interesting stuff:) thanks for the info!