RE: Motorised dish alignment

michael-elise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +.
80cm ISS dish with a manhattan diseq motor 1.2 and a diseqc 1.2 mp01 mini positioner motorised dish install.
Freesat panasonic G10B TV.
My Location
Hertford
Hi all,

A newbie here so please be gentle!!!

I have brought a 90mm dish and an icecript motor I am using a diseqc 1.2 mp01 mini positioner to move the dish. I have set it up as follows:

Put the the motor on 0 degrees and aligned the dish straight with that and mounted on a pole with T&K type brackets (the pole is perfect for plumb) I have got a good position on 1 west.

One of my questions is does the lnb have to be dead upright on 1 west and then when the motor moves it will pick other satellites up or do you need to skew it a bit?

I live in Hertford so I think I have set up the latitude correctly at 51 degrees. I am not sure if I have the dish declination set correct.

Does the dish have to be set on a certain part of the motor arm or can it go anywhere ie distance from the bottom or the top of the motor arm?

I am getting up from 1 west to 28.2 on the arc but can not find any more satellites on the eastern swing. I have no obstrutions in the way. But only with the lnb at about 45 degrees anti clockwise from behind the dish is this right???

If I put the lnb perfectly vertical I loose channels on 1 west and do not get a great reception.

I can not seem to find any satellites on the west swing is this because of the lnb skew??

I have read some of the articles and it seems my arc is not right but I can not work out what to do!!!

I have been up and down the ladder so many times my neighbours think I am nuts..

Any help would be greatful

Kind regards

Michael

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You need to set the LNb skew at zero for zero on the motor. The skew will take care of it'self as you move across the arc.

The Stab motor should be USALs compatible so might be easier to set up using this with the receiver software as there is around 1° offset to account for before alignment.

Set the motor inclination to your Latitude and dish El slightly facing up. In addition, take a browse at our set up guides at the top of this section.

michael-elise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +.
80cm ISS dish with a manhattan diseq motor 1.2 and a diseqc 1.2 mp01 mini positioner motorised dish install.
My Location
Hertford
Hi Satelliteman,

Thanks for the reply. I think the lnb might have a problem because if I skew it at about 45 degrees on 1 west the signal quality and strength go from half way when the lnb is vertical to 100 percent at 45 degrees.

I have not got a receiver I am using my panasonic G10b on other satellite tuning menu. I have tune in about 6400 channels from the east swing.

I do not know what USAL's is?

I have had a look at the guides at the top of the page and set up as instructions but just struggling with the last little bit.

Kind Regards

Michael

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
In that case the motor needs to be a full manual setup. You need to account for your position against the nominal orbital position of the satellites. If for example your Longditude is 2.0 degrees west, then you are looking 1 degree east when you look at 1w, so you would manually move the motor to 1e before lining up on 1w. 0 on the LNB skew is not always denoted by the cable pointing down, there is sometimes a scale. If not start with the cable pointing down and rotate for best signal.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Re: the LNb skew, this thread might be of some interest > http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...tar-lnb-fskuvn-icecrypt-0-1db-single-lnb.html and appears you may have one the fortec or icecrypt designs.

USALs software calculates the position of all available satellites from an initial location or reference (input by the user), which is the latitude and longitude relative to Earth.

It's possible to set up without but you have to make the offset adjustment first and then align up on 1W.

michael-elise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +.
My Location
Hertford
Hi Rick and Satelliteman,

my location is

Latitude: 51.7931°
Longitude: -0.0928°
Dish
Elevation:30.7°
Azimuth: 181.3°
LNB skew: 0.8°

I set the dish and motor to 0 degrees and aligned them with 1 west. Have I done this right? Do I need to have an offset?

I read that thread with the skew problem I do not know what lnb it is as it was on the dish when I brought it second hand.

Kind Regards

Michael

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
michael-elise said:
I set the dish and motor to 0 degrees and aligned them with 1 west. Have I done this right? Do I need to have an offset?

You need to drive the motor a tad to the West using your mini positioner. It'll only be a small movement but is needed to get correct alignment on the arc. USALs would of taken care of this but easy enough to do it manually. Make sure the motor inclination is set to 52° and the mast is plumb. Once on 1W, drive round with Mp01 to far ends of the arc and test :)

michael-elise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +.
My Location
Hertford
Thanks Satelliteman

I will give this a try tomorrow and will report back.

Regards

Michael

michael-elise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +.
My Location
Hertford
Hi again sorry to be a pain does motor inclination mean elevation/latitude scale.

Kind regards

Michael

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes Latitude or Elevation setting (90-Latitude) :)

michael-elise

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +.
My Location
Hertford
Hi all I think I have sorted this now.

Thanks for your help and I will see how I get on

Kind Regards

Michael