Receiving Saorview and Saorsat in Wales

padser1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Multi Room Basic Package (jus so i can get Irish Channels via Sat. cos DTT signal very poor)
My Location
Ireland
Hi check out _http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/ for low cost Ka band LNB, I havnt spoken to the supplier yet about its exact capabilities but they are saying it will be adequate for SaorSat.:)

[warning]Live link removed: Please check the Forum Rules[/warning]

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Not in stock yet.
€49 plus postage when they are.

suffolksat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 8000 HD80, Freesat+,Skystar
My Location
Suffolk
Xooxm said:
Hi guys Do you think that J will be able to get Saorsat channels on 3m Satelite Dish in London ?
I think I read somewhere that you would be more likely in London to pick up a beam intended for France rather than Ireland the further away you are from Ireland with the introduction of Ka Band

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Yes, if they active or have activated the French Calais spot (which spills into south east UK) it'll use the same or similar frequencies and block out the Irish signals so a larger dish in London will just pick up an even better signal from the French spot.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Here, at last, Ka lnbs for sale. Get them while they're hot!

_http://www.onwave.ie/saorview_parts

Padair

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM500 & TM600
Cheapo 60cm SLX dish and LNB
XP SP3
My Location
Northern ireland
excollier said:
Here, at last, Ka lnbs for sale. Get them while they're hot!

_http://www.onwave.ie/saorview_parts
and here as well
_http://www.vanjak.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33187

zg3409

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
All sorts
My Location
Ireland
Now also on ebay. Search for KA LNB Saorsat

mournespide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD box with NI card and no subscription.
Saorview, Basic Freeview and Roku.
My Location
Co.Down (near Claremont Carn transmitter)
Just a quick question will the Ka band lnb pick up other services at apart from Saorsat at 9E? Will it pick up European channels on Eurobird 9E?

zg3409

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
All sorts
My Location
Ireland
No, that is actually a problem. If you want to receive Saorsat and KU 9A you need TWO dishes. This is because there are no combined KA and KU LNBs available, and you can't mount two LNBs on the same dish in the same location. So if you want to pick up 9E KU and 9E KA you end up with two dishes. This is also referrenced in the tooway KA internet dish user manual. Not ideal. It's a pity they don't put all KA sats at different orbital positions to KU until a combined LNB is available, although I think the reason is some satellites broadcast both KA and KU.

Hopefully a combined LNB will be available one day. It might be possible now to use an old two-way internet dish. Some of these have a reflector for 20Ghz, that allows a 10Ghz signal to pass through so it could be possibly work in theory, The gear on the arm is Ka band LNB and the BUC to transmit for two way on Internet. A 28E LNB would be offset to west by about 15cm. A larger dish would be needed with that amount of offset even for Sky

At least Saorsat is not on 28.2KA or 2 dishes would be essentiial, now an offset feed for 28.2 can be used.

Attachments

• 220px-Tooway_satellite_antenna_photo.jpg
    220px-Tooway_satellite_antenna_photo.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 184

thehumangoing

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm800se clone w/320gb hdd (DreamboxUK image) + skybox f3 + old dm500s
zone 2 on 28.2e
My Location
Ireland
Might try it with a zone 2 and KA LNB... should be interesting to see if it works...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It's worth checking the following thread

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/fringe-reception-general/197162-ka-reception-no-go-so-far-me.html

for those experimenting outside the main footprint.

And it is highly unlikely that any manufacturer is going to bring out a dual probe LNB for simultaneous viewing of Ku and Ka broadcasts anytime soon, the feed parameters behind each frequency is completely different. Don't forget the horrors that were the mixed Ku/C band units, which are of similar magnitude apart. What you gain in bandwidth, you lose in overall gain/efficiency, and at 20GHz, enlarging the dish size is not an option unless you have pots of cash.

For now a potential solution will be a dual broadcast at Ka-band (for certain channels anyway), as the bandwidth allows quite a bit of spare capacity.

oscar2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m prime focus dish
Technomate 1500ci+ receiver
Xoro HD sat receiver
My Location
UK
TG4 has been added to Saorsat a rescan is needed.
Regards

hdp160

Reaction score
"Saorly" tempted but.......

location Rhonnda Cynnon Taff (south wales)

£30 for the Lnb.... might just be wishfull thinking, or maybe the French frequencies will be turned off!

zg3409

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
All sorts
My Location
Ireland
It is reasonable to expect a fair chance where you are located. In my experience some people have the problem of too many unknowns.

There seems to be problems with some makes of receiver unable to decode the channels (even though they are DVB-S2 MPEG4. Then there is dish alignment and size.

To at least eliminate the receiver ideally bring it to a place that has guaranteed coverage and install the channels first before returning home and attempting again.

In west coast Wales especially south west wales even a small camping 40cm dish is good enough to at least scan in the channels for test purposes during good weather.

Regarding dish size the dish appears FAR FAR more directional at 20Ghz, so possibly try say a 60 or 80cm solid though it will behave like a much larger dish. Best to align to normal 11Ghz channels using an ordinary LNB on 9 East, then swap the LNB.

Regarding the whole french beam jamming, we have not confirmed that this is indeed the case. There seems to be a jamming signal on the East Scottish beam at exactly the same frequency, but this signal is DVB-S blank carrier, as opposed to DVB-S2 active carrier.

It is reasonable to assume whoever deliberately is sending a blank signal to East Scotland is also probably sending a blank noise signal on the purple french beam.

Regarding the normal internet carriers jamming the signal, it depends on their exact frequency.

If you look at the spectrum photo below it shows 5 carriers. The left most one is Saorsat, the next two to the right are Irish internet carriers (the fat ones). The last two to the right are also internet carriers, but actually from a different beam called "Green" The actual levels of purple and green will vary from location to location, but in order for the East Scottish or French beams to actually jam they also need to have a signal on the exact frequency as Saorsat's carrier.

If the french beam does not, then it will not jam, However the actual power level will drop the further towards england you travel. Thus a larger dish would be needed. A larger dish is of no use if a jamming signal is present and if the jamming is stronger than the wanted signal. No matter what size dish you install it will equally increase both the jamming and wanted signal.

Also note the Saorsat carrier is 7dB weaker than the internet carriers mostly as an attempt to stop reception in Wales!

Let us know how you get on!

PurpleandGreen.jpg

Attachments

• PurpleandGreen.jpg
    PurpleandGreen.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 136

hdp160

Reaction score
Nice post zg3409, you clearly clarified and confirmed several points. Hope not too many people in England buy the Ka LNBs, but on the other hand there could be some ebay bargains then..... grin ;-) I've been following the official Saorsat releases with interest for a couple of months, I will probably experiment towards the end of the summer.

digidude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
loads of stuff, i'll get round to listing it all
My Location
De Cymru
the 'beams' called green, purple, blue, etc are the tooway internet beams. im in south wales, and the number of the dishes pictured in this thread (the dark grey one with dual reflectors) that ive thrown out for scrap, complete with LNB, over the last 6 months is unreal, as well as 1M channel master dishes and viasat dishes, most in perfect condition and all complete with LNBs, and a lot of the time, mounts as well, as im replacing them with tooways newer system, only on thursday 2 grey dishes went off with the scrapman and theyve been in the back garden for about 2-3 weeks

if these are of any use to people in mid / south / west wales, and youre prepared to collect, or arrange / pay for delivery, you can have them when i get them, to experiment with

im now tempted to swap the LNB over on one of the 1M viasat dishes that i kept as it was in too good condition to bin, and have a play (neath valley, south wales)

EDIT: OMG, look at that old siggy lol, that needs updating

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Aren't some of these dishes "Gregorian" type?

Agreed, I bought by 1M "Tooway" Channel Master dish for £18 with the feedhorn... Silly people!

digidude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
loads of stuff, i'll get round to listing it all
My Location
De Cymru
yes, its mainly the gregorian type ones that ive been throwing away, with 2 reflectors, and the LNB itself points away from the main dish reflector

mariuss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Strong Motor Dish 1.1m with Inverto Black Ultra
My Location
Dublin-Ireland
Padair said:
and here as well
_http://www.vanjak.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33187

That is a great one,inverto twin lnb did u manage to see the price? I may be intrested

Thanks !