Saorsat Signal Changed FEC 2/3 from 1/2

zg3409

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
All sorts
My Location
Ireland
Some people are reporting the signal for Saorsat has changed. It used to have the error correction of 1/2 FEC but it now seems to have changed to 2/3 FEC. On some receivers this would not seem to make any difference as it normally finds the correct setting in Auto, but on other receivers you need to manually set the correct rate. The frequency and polarisation is the same.

Mark Hargrove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised dish with Tm5402 receiver, sky dish with sky hd receiver, freesat in 2nd room
My Location
Bristol
Cheers for that, good info

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I suppose that will tighten the footprint even further since the higher FEC will make it a bit harder to lock at the fringes.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I guess those on the edge of footprint with weak signals might lose their RTE fix...

JOHN896

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 2.4m Dish Fixed On 9.0 East Ka Band.Channel Master 1.2m Dish.Satellite Reception From,53.0E-45.0W.
My Location
Swansea Uk
No change here 2.4m dish 99% signal,1.2m dish 75% signal.

Mark Hargrove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised dish with Tm5402 receiver, sky dish with sky hd receiver, freesat in 2nd room
My Location
Bristol
Cripes that is a BIG Dish, no chance of you loosing those Irish Channels

JOHN896

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 2.4m Dish Fixed On 9.0 East Ka Band.Channel Master 1.2m Dish.Satellite Reception From,53.0E-45.0W.
My Location
Swansea Uk
I don`t think i would ever lose the signal on the 1.2m either.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
When the FEC changes it's the % at which the breakup occurs that will be different. So before breakup might have occurred at say 40% with a FEC of 1/2 it might now start to breakup at 45% with a FEC of 2/3 but the signal quality will stay pretty much the same. These numbers I used here are just an example, and will change from receiver to receiver.

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
From what I understand Saorsat reception is more limited by interference from other spot beams on the same frequency than by signal strength. I would say that if you're receiving Saorsat in any part of Ireland, north or south, you're not likely to notice much difference in reception if you stuck to the recommended dish size. It's reckoned that Saorsats transponder power is currently lower powered than what it could potentially be, some people who monitored early testing noticed it being much stronger than it is at present, so they could be able to turn up the power to compensate for the FEC change.

I'd guess the FEC change is to prepare for RTE1 to go HD on Saorsat, as it has been on Saorview now for a few months with the SD simulcast about to be turned off.

I might get a Saorsat LNB for a bit of messing about later on, but I can already get Saorview terrestrial transmissions fine so Saorsat wouldn't give me anything I can't already get.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
I've never locked Saorsat here in Manchester ..and have tried on many occasions with various dish sizes ..
The (assumed) scottish beam ..had in the past given me something at his frequency that resembled a lockable signal ..and blocked any possibility of receiving Saorsat..
Now I get neither ..and have gone up a dish size to 1.5mtr..
Dish size is not relevant to reception imo ..in fact the larger the dish ..the greater the problem if you are out of footprint...which I am.
The combination of reduced power ...changed FEC and overlapped footprints make reception of Saorsat here even less likely than it ever was.
Tricky back then ...
Impossible now....
At my location.
rgds
VS

Pride Of Cucamonga

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheap piece of junk Spanish (Tecatel) 120cm(x110) dish, Inverto Ultra twin LNB and Sky HD box.
My Location
Valencia (city)
Some people are reporting the signal for Saorsat has changed. It used to have the error correction of 1/2 FEC but it now seems to have changed to 2/3 FEC. On some receivers this would not seem to make any difference as it normally finds the correct setting in Auto, but on other receivers you need to manually set the correct rate. The frequency and polarisation is the same.

Are these higher FEC rates because KA band more susceptible to rain fade? Anyone know what FEC rates DirecTV use for their Ka transponders?

dramirez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8m dish for DirecTV 101 (trying to get Ka on 99&103)
My Location
Zacatecas, Mexico
Ku: 6/7 & 2/3.
Ka: 2/3, 3/5, 4/5 & 1/2 for Reverse Band.

fereshte

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2,30m prime focus dish with 3 LNBs - C ( Linear plus Circular ) and KU ( Linear ) ; 2,05m prime focus dish - KU circular and in future hopefully - ka band - 103E - 50W ; Octagon SF4008 UHD ; Edision Primo IP ; Inverto Flange white series ; Invacom quad; 36" motors; Especta and Moteck satellite positioners.
My Location
Bulgaria
Hi, in your opinion is it possible to receive RTE package on ka band with 2,04m prime focus dish in Bulgaria ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hi, in your opinion is it possible to receive RTE package on ka band with 2,04m prime focus dish in Bulgaria ?

No chance whatsoever!

One of our members in Manchester (north west UK) has tried it several times and could not get it due to a co channel frequency on a different spot. The RTE spot beam just about makes it into central Wales & over onto the North Devon coast..

However dont let that stop you trying - freak reception does happen & all the members here would be delighted to see you succeed! :D

fereshte

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2,30m prime focus dish with 3 LNBs - C ( Linear plus Circular ) and KU ( Linear ) ; 2,05m prime focus dish - KU circular and in future hopefully - ka band - 103E - 50W ; Octagon SF4008 UHD ; Edision Primo IP ; Inverto Flange white series ; Invacom quad; 36" motors; Especta and Moteck satellite positioners.
My Location
Bulgaria
If I find a LNB KA SAT for 9E and 19.2E certainly I am going to make some tests.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
If I find a LNB KA SAT for 9E and 19.2E certainly I am going to make some tests.

Hi, just remind me what you wanted to view from 19.2E please

fereshte

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bulgaria
Nothing special at all, just for the reception and the test itself.

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Dr Dish/Christian Mass conducted a test with a 13M dish in Germany, and was unsuccessful, so I wouldn't be betting much on a 2M dish in Bulgaria

Report starts at 3:45

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The biggest problem with the 9E Ka band frequencies is that there are multiple beams using the same frequency - specifically designed to block out of area reception.

fereshte

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bulgaria
Understand, so it is irrelevant to test 9E KASAT from Bulgaria.