Saorview in Rep. of Ireland

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
,Technomate 6900 Super HD ,Humax 8100PVR oh and a Amstrad Sky+ digibox.
My Location
Ireland
A new service called Saorview is due to start up next year around June for Irish viewers but it will be FTA I am told at 28.2e and will initially have all the national channels : RTE 1 ,RTE 2, TV3 ,TG 4 plus a rolling news channel similar to Sly news RTE News Now and should also be available to freeview tvs and stbs, after some time sub. channels may be added but nobody has bid for that yet.

This is to supplement the DTT service which started recently details below.

Saorview is also available at quite high power on a DVB-T platform and is transmitting now so UK viewers in Northern ireland can receive it and possibly some Welsh people also as two people in the west of Wales have reported good reception so worth having a retune on your UHF band to see if you can pick it up as channel lineup is as above.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
We've got a few Threads about this knocking around the place.

Main point is that it isn't at 28.2E and the beams will be highly focussed.

IIRC they will be broadcast from 9E.

I'll see if I can get you some cross-references.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hmm. Can't find any of them offhand!

Perhaps the time is ripe for creating a Saorsat Sub-Forum then all debate about it can be located in one place?

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
My Location
Ireland
Tivù said:
We've got a few Threads about this knocking around the place.

Main point is that it isn't at 28.2E and the beams will be highly focussed.

IIRC they will be broadcast from 9E.

I'll see if I can get you some cross-references.

Insiders say it WILL be on 28.2e unless sly pay them off as 98% of satellite viewers in ireland are focussed there.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
There are many difficulties with that: There is insufficient narrow beam capacity on 28E to restrict FTA Irish viewing to those entitled to view.

If the Channels are widely available across Europe, then there will be significant Rights Issues.

But, as I say, hopefully we can pull together all the facts/rumours/speculation for easy reference.

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Tivù said:
There are many difficulties with that: There is insufficient narrow beam capacity on 28E to restrict FTA Irish viewing to those entitled to view.

If the Channels are widely available across Europe, then there will be significant Rights Issues.

But, as I say, hopefully we can pull together all the facts/rumours/speculation for easy reference.

Yes that is a good point but they are also going to issue STBs so that may be the solution as they would be encrypted with a FTA type card for irish viewers only but again a problem as Irish people in Northern ireland would be entitled to them as they are classed as Irish although technically they are UK citizens!!.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No such thing as an FTA Card. FTA means clear and unencrypted. No card required. Restrictions on who can view are achieved only by Satellite beam footprint.

The commonly accepted term for the Cards you refer to is FTV (Free To View: No sub, but Encrypted, in order to exercise some control over who can get access. Easily defeated).

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's rather important!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tivù said:
Hmm. Can't find any of them offhand!

Perhaps the time is ripe for creating a Saorsat Sub-Forum then all debate about it can be located in one place?

Eutelsat KaSat - to be located at 9E , transmitting in Ka band on ultra tight spotbeams.

Theres probably not enough discussion for a dedicated sub forum just yet. Eutel havent even got the bird off the ground atm :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok Boss!

I thought there were a fair few mentions of it, but my Search skills have deserted me.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Surely going onto tha KA band is going to give them problems though. Your not just talking a simple dish reallignment, it's a new equipment as well.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Rick said:
Surely going onto tha KA band is going to give them problems though. Your not just talking a simple dish reallignment, it's a new equipment as well.
Yes, who's going to pay for new alignment meters?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Rick said:

Basically just an lnb - most generic receivers should be able to cope with Ka band.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
Don't you need a combined Ka/Ku LMB to make a DVB-S2 reciever compatable if Ireland use's the Ka spot beam system.

erukus1

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm600
My Location
Cornwall
would be nice to get rte in uk via this way

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Analoguesat said:
Eutelsat KaSat - to be located at 9E , transmitting in Ka band on ultra tight spotbeams.

Theres probably not enough discussion for a dedicated sub forum just yet. Eutel havent even got the bird off the ground atm :D

Launched in orbit and testing ATM

pajo100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
erukus1 said:
would be nice to get rte in uk via this way

Very tight beam on Ireland so will not be receivable in the U.K. ?? or then again they said Astra 2 would not be receivable in the south of France with a 60cm dish and its no problem!!!! Experts are ALWAYS wrong on this topic!!.
There is nothing like a good old fashioned field test guyz.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
pajo100 said:
Experts are ALWAYS wrong on this topic!!.
Not wrong, just being conservative. Don't forget that with the need to limit signal spillover into Europe there was always the absolute need to make sure that no-one in the UK was disadvantaged by the satellite. By that token the beam was no doubt allowed to stray further into Europe just to be sure the UK was OK.

Time and technology has has moved on since then. Future Ku band tight beams will no doubt be tighter than 2D and the higher frequency of Ka allows them to be tighter still. I think you'll be struggling to get Saorsat in Manchester let alone Marseille.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
pajo100 said:
Very tight beam on Ireland so will not be receivable in the U.K. ??

Maybe in the far west. You dont seem to realise just how tight these beams are going to be - and frequency between spots reuse will limit things further. There are 82 spotbeams and only 5 or 6 sets of frequencies in use

From what I understand the Irish spot will be using the same frequencies as the northern France spotbeam so the southern UK has no chance whatsoever of Saorsat as they will find any overspill from France will nail the RTE signals once everything is on air.

Howevr its all guesswork atm - the bird hasnt even been fully fired up yet.