Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
SES press release

Luxembourg, April 27, 2012 -- SES (Euronext Paris and Luxembourg Stock Exchange: SESG), together with leading industry partners, announced the introduction of SAT-IP, a new IP-based satellite reception technology that demodulates and converts satellite signals to IP for further in-home distribution to any IP-enabled device.

Unveiled at the annual SES Industry Days, the SAT-IP communications protocol is established as a new standard for satellite in-home distribution. A live demo of SAT-IP multiswitches showing the distribution of satellite programmes over various IP‑based infrastructures (CAT5 Ethernet, Power Line, Plastic Optical Fibre and WiFi) was presented to more than 200 industry experts from consumer electronics manufacturers to broadcast platform operators at the two-day conference.

In a SAT-IP environment, IP-enabled devices such as tablets, PCs, laptops, smartphones, Connected TVs, game consoles and media players will be able to receive satellite programming. This means that consumers will be able to enjoy the benefits of watching TV programmes on different devices and screens. With SAT‑IP, large varieties of satellite offers including the most important lineup of HD channels will be accessible for consumers on IP-enabled devices in highest and original satellite picture quality and without using internet connectivity. SAT-IP will become an official standard which is open to all manufacturers and allows them to develop a neutral environment of multiple devices. Current prototypes already allow for the reception of up to eight programmes on eight different screen devices at home.

Thomas Wrede, Vice President Reception Systems, said: “SAT-IP is a quantum leap for the industry and the TV viewers and shows SES' role in pioneering technological developments in the media and TV industry. We see how consumers are increasingly complementing their TV viewing experience with alternative devices. With SAT-IP, we put ourselves at the top of the trend and ensure that viewers can watch satellite TV potentially on any IP-based device at home and with an unrivalled flexibility when they move around. Our new way of connecting devices will allow millions of consumers to enjoy satellite TV on multiple screens with the highest convenience and quality. With SAT-IP, we also give an important impulse to the industry, creating an open standard that allows manufacturers to realise innovative distribution solutions."

The first SAT-IP based products are scheduled to be available later this year.

-http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2012/11403011

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Maybe this is an easy way around the Astra 1N tight spotbeam problem ;)

I shall certainly be watching this technology with interest

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
No what we need is for some clever person to bring out a device where you can select the channel you want to watch remotely and it streams the raw MPEG data over the internet to another box that converts and displays the channel. Great saving of bandwidth compared to full frame video streaming!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Or simply refine ones choice to stuff that doesn't require forced subscription, and go enjoy yourself in other activities.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Nothing to do with subscription. Its like people here and in other countries streaming say BBC1 via a Slingbox for example. If you could split out the data stream for the channel you want and send that over the internet to a suitable IP MPEG receiver you could save large amounts of bandwidth. Seems silly to compress the channels to transmit via satellite, only to uncompress and then send that down the web.