Sat100 cable - nasty stuff

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I was on a building site yesterday, new build property to fit a dish.

The electrician has run sat100 cable to each to point and into the loft. I had expected to be able to fit the standard f-plugs for ct100/rg6 onto the ends, but in cutting back it looks like the cable is about 7mm diameter and worse still with a solid dielectric (clear plastic rather than foam)

The centre core is also under 1mm diameter, possibly 0.7 or 0.8mm, much like the twin shotgun size.

Has anyone come across this stuff before and are there any specifications for it ?

Thanks in advance.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, this might be it, no specifications on the page.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I come across it occasionally, causes real problems when used on long runs in apartment blocks, I try and recommend basic minimums for cable spec to electrical contractors, but they are often told by the wholesalers that it's good cable.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
So, what f-connectors would you use on it, or do you deal with stuff at the faceplate only ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't really remember what I used last time, it was in a detached house and may have reverted to some old screw connectors I had in my legacy box. I normally use Triax compression, had been using Cabelcon self install, but their latest design didn'tmake good electrical connection.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, I've never used compression , I was looking in the parts bin for odd sized screw types, though I supppose I could sleeve and crimp a standard CT100 connector instead. The use of clear dielectric and the diameter of inner conductor may mean differing matching characteristics

The cable isn't far off RG59 in look and feel

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, although does work a little better, have occasionally stumbled across RG59 having been run for satellite feeds, Massive loss. I use nothing but compression now, when they're on they're on.