Advice Needed Satellite/tv outlet plate box question

lew247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q Windows 10
I have a 1.2M motorised dish but I have trees in the way stopping me being able to put this to use
My Location
England
I'm redoing my satellite setup and bought a quattro lnb and 80cm dish and an MS508 Satellite Multiswitch so I can feed all the rooms/tv's/recievers properly and have the tv antenna coming in on the same cable as satellite to the rooms.
If I have 3 leads coming into one room, I can feed 2 of them into an outlet plate that seperates the signals properly
Can I just put a plug on the 3rd and put it in the tv to get the UHF channels, or do I "NEED" to use a signal splitter?

Last edited:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, not too sure about what you actually have, can you upload some pictures of your kit? For example, what is an 8 section distribution amplifier?

lew247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q Windows 10
I have a 1.2M motorised dish but I have trees in the way stopping me being able to put this to use
My Location
England
Sorry updated it now
I forgot the actuall name and said "distibution amplifier" its a satellite multiswitch so I can feed my Quattro lnb and the tv/fm/dab antenna into it and have them all coming out on individual cables

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you use a Sky+ module, that will automatically separate the TVand Satellite on the first input. No need to use the third cable. They also do that type of module in a plate.

Attachments

• sky+.jpg
    sky+.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3

lew247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q Windows 10
My Location
England
I got it completely wrong sorry
I have a Sky+ box that will use 2 feeds. I can use the splitter box to seperate it to feed the tv, but the TV also has a satellite input
I'd like to use this for freesat as well
Will I need a 2nd module or can I plug the cable straight into the tv
Also in one room I only have a tv but no satellite, do I have to use a module to seperate the signals or can I plug the cable directly into the tv?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You can normally get away without using a diplexer to separate the signals, but if either of the signals are too strong (has to be very strong) you could find it a problem, but if you try it and it works, go with it. If you need a diplexer, they are cheap.
Code:
http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=triax-340110-tv-aerial-satellite-signal-diplexer-combiner

A

archive10

If I understand you correctly you have a multiswitch (not a distro amp), and therefore have sat signal + DTT on all outputs.
You will take two of the three cables going to each location, and feed through an outlet plate.
You are now wondering if you can just plug the third cable directly into your TV without using a plate to separate the SAT from the DTT signal.

There is no problem doing this - I have this in two of the five rooms fed from my multiswitch.
As RolfW says, it will probably work, unless you have a very strong DTT signal and wark SAT or the other way around.
It works fine for me. I have had not probs whatsoever, even though I was initially worried about feeding "unfiltered" signal into my STBs.

AND, I actually put CATV rather than DTT through the cable, so I have SAT diplexed with CATV. Our cable TV uses frequencies from 120MHz to just below 1GHz, but it still allows me to pipe fringe-received 28.2E signals through the same cable without a diplexer!