Signal anomalies on SkyQ with hybrid lnb and Triax dish

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Two weeks ago I replaced a neighbour's Sky dish (it was rotting away, as they do). We live in Ireland and the neighbour wanted the ITV and Ch5 channels, not available on their SkyQ package.
I fitted a Triax TD65, along with a Labgear wideband/universal hybrid lnb (6 ports in total as you will no doubt know) I added an Amiko Mini Combo box so they could watch UK channels fta and the Irish terrestrial channels without switching back to Sky Q for RTE etc.
It all worked fine, but as they wanted to also wall-mount the TV I left the cables uncut until I had re-routed them for a neater job.
The cables were Webro shotgun, provided by Sky, which I re-used and I added a run of Webro WF100 for the Amiko box, from one of the standard ports.
When I went back last week to move the tv it went well, cables re-routed, TV wall mounted and a wall mounted cabinet beneath it - all tried and tested. Two days later they call me and say "we have no signal, nothing works"...ouch.
When I checked it I first checked the lnb and all seemed good - signal good on the standard ports and a good reading from the wideband ports (although I don't know if I need a different meter for those, been out of this game for years).
Indoors I could see that Sky Q had no signal but the Amiko was working fine, so I switch it off again, and a good signal at the ends of the shotgun for Sky Q.
With the Amiko in standby I refinished the cable ends, and attached cable#1 to Sky Q - picture came back, happy days, I thought. Nope. When I re-attach cable #2 it goes blank and "no signal" warning. Dammit.
I pull out cable # 2 and picture comes back. A real head scratcher.
Next, I switch on the Amiko again to check the lnb is still alive, Amiko still working perfectly. Hmm.
Then, with the Amiko still switched on, I re-attached cable #2 to Sky Q and bingo it works fine....switch off the Amiko and signal is gone from Sky Q and a blank screen again.
This starts to get annoying, so I replaced the lnb with another, same brand/model and no fix. They have to have the Amiko switched on to use Sky Q, not good. Shouldn't be that way.
My next step is to replace the shotgun cable with two runs of WF100, but does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Any help gratefully received....this problem seems illogical to me.

Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Do the wideband cables work when connected individually to the Amiko (nothing connected to Sky Q)? A blind scan on the Amiko should find something, alternatively connect the shotgun cable to the legacy outputs of the LNB to test them.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Do the wideband cables work when connected individually to the Amiko (nothing connected to Sky Q)? A blind scan on the Amiko should find something, alternatively connect the shotgun cable to the legacy outputs of the LNB to test them.
I'll try the shotgun from legacy, thanks. And maybe switch the WF100 to wideband/ Sky Q with another run through the window to see if it is the cables that are problematic

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, thanks all for your suggestions - problem solved with your collective help:
Firstly I moved the shotgun cables to the legacy outputs and brought in another run of WF100 from a wideband port, moving the existing WF100 that the Amiko box had been using to the other wideband port.
I attached both runs of WF100 to the Sky Q box and it worked immediately, no Amiko box attached at all - 100% signal, 90% quality...then I tried each end of the shotgun with the Amiko box in turn, both worked well, with a slight drop in quality reading to 85%, with signal at 95%. It seems a Sky Q box is very sensitive to cable condition.
Anyway I ended up replacing the shotgun with a single run of WF100 for the Amiko and Sky Q ended up with two runs of WF100. All working perfectly and the Amiko can now be switched off when not in use and Sky Q works as it should - neighbour happy and me very relieved.

Thanks again all !!