Signal Lock Fails on a known good working dish

Mark Feather

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FreesatHD
My Location
North Yorkshire
Help and Advice Please.

Bought a new Manhatten Plazza HD S2 box and TV for installation at a 2nd address where a dish was professionally installed and aligned etc a few weeks ago.

Plugged everything up, switch on. Start setup process and get as far as Signal Lock which fails.

So OK I have a FreeSat HD TV at home that works perfectly. A TV that's a few years old with an inbuilt FreeSatHD receiver.

I plug it all in and start setup process and signal lock fails again but when I connect everything back up to the original TV alls working perfectly again.

Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong or is this Manhatten box faulty?

Mark Feather

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FreesatHD
My Location
North Yorkshire
Only insofar as initial setup and as far as step 2 of 5 when this step fails I'm not allowed or given the opportunity to continue but only to start again from the beginning.

This Mamhatten box is new out of the box today.

Now on reconnecting the original TV with its inbuilt receiver I can only find out within the settings that I have a maximum signal strength and I'm connected to the Astra Satellite 28.2 E

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sorry, Mark - I managed to Delete my Post whilst Editing!

Anyway, is there a Factory Reset Option accessible to you?

If so, you might try that.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Also, not sure what the individual steps relate to on that Box, so can you tell us if it appears to accept your Postcode correctly?

Some Freesat models have peculiar syntax for inserting a Space, for example.

Mark Feather

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FreesatHD
My Location
North Yorkshire
Stage one allows me to setup aspect ratio and HD quality, step two comprises of three steps.

First step achieves Signal Lock which fails so process does not continue onto step two which is Signal Strength followed by the third step which shows signal Quality.

The second and third steps are not achieved because step one "Signal Lock" fails.

I'll have a look to see if I can find a hidden recessed factory reset button anywhere.

Mark Feather

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FreesatHD
My Location
North Yorkshire
No reset button.

I'm thinking the next logical step would be to establish if the dish is OK at the new house by taking my known good working TV with its inbuilt receiver and plugging it in.

This would at least establish if the new dish has been installed and setup correctly.

I'm thinking this Manhatten box is faulty myself.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Certainly you need to try a known working Receiver on that Dish: Freesat Boxes rely upon getting signal from the Home Transponder (Currently on Eurobird at 28.5E) so if the dish is not aligned correctly then you will indeed remain stuck at square one. Eurobird is a couple of tenths of a degree away from the Astra birds, but it really shouldn't make much difference in the UK.

The Manhattan has a good reputation, so you'll be unlucky if it is faulty.

PS: Factory Reset is normally a Menu option, not a hard button: Try trawling through the various Menus to see if you can find such an option.

Mark Feather

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FreesatHD
My Location
North Yorkshire
Before I can browse any menus / options or settings I first need to complete initial setup, so reset option not possible.

FreeSatHD dish etc perfect at home and it can't lock signal so its either faulty or both dishes and cables etc are somehow incompatible.

Is this possible?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, not possible (Apart from a poor connection).

H0NK3YZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Leicester
Before I can browse any menus / options or settings I first need to complete initial setup, so reset option not possible.

FreeSatHD dish etc perfect at home and it can't lock signal so its either faulty or both dishes and cables etc are somehow incompatible.

Is this possible?
Did you find a solution Mark I’m going through exactly the same now!

H0NK3YZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Leicester

Is this possible?
Have you got any news in this mark? I’m in the same ship

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Mark Feather hasn't been on the forum since his last post here 7 years ago. You may not receive a reply from him unless he returns to this thread.

Gladstones

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 2 Fixed @ Astra 2
Gibertini XP 1 meter motorised
Technomate TM2600
Inverto Ultra Black
LG 55 UH770V
Octagon SX88+SE
XCRUISER XDR785HDR Avant Android 4K
My Location
Midlothian

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It could well have been capacitor failure in the power supply section of the main boards - I had a Freesat box in a bedroom expire in similar circumstances a while back that had popped its electrolytics. It was replaced by an old Sky box. :D

Mark Feather

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FreesatHD
My Location
North Yorkshire
I took it back to where it was purchased from and essentially swapped it like for like as faulty at the time. I don't think they make the Manhattan Plazza HD S2 box any more. It has since been replaced with a newer box because the BBC iPlayer became obsolete and no longer worked.