Advice Needed silly question time re polar mounts (non diseqc motors)

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
hey guys

ive only ever used DISEQ motors, the downwards pointing ones...so bear with me on this.

my question is, if using a polar mount, does it "twist" \ arc the dish (offset) in the same way as a DISQC motor would - or is it a more left and right type movement ...

similar question, if setting up a dish WITHOUT A MOTOR, i.e a manual A/Z mount, for an extreme arc location i.e 45e (when my due south is 0 approx) - on the basis the dish cannot twist during setup, would it just be a case of swinging the dish far east and point downwards (roughly speaking)

i guess what im asking is, is there any possibility you could get a signal MANUALLY when manually aligning, but NOT a motor setup using a motor which is tracking the arc perfectly?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Polar mount skews the dish in a similar way to a DiSEqC motor. Though with a 'downward pointing' motor you may get a small amount of swing - in your case away from the wall for eastern satellites, towards it for west. This can be simulated on a polar mount by hanging the dish down like a pendulum, like in this post by RimaNTSS:

I think in your case the motorised dish on the DiSEqC motor will see slightly more eastern arc than a fixed dish due to the 'swing'.

With a fixed dish you also need to adjust LNB skew. For satellites with a skew offset such as Eutelsat & Astra sats you could get better signal from a fixed dish as the skew can be optimised for a particular satellite.