Sky HD/FreeSAT HD install questions...I need help for new house build

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New House build, Freesat or SKY in every room
My Location
East Coast
Any recommendations on dish LNB and switch?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Frankly, in the UK just about any 60cm dish and quattro LNB will do. It's advised to go up a size of dish (from the normal 43cm) with a quattro/multiswitch combination in order to counteract the higher noise floor that this combination has.

Befoe choosing the make of multiswitch you need to decide how many outputs you want it to have as this might have a bearing on your choice. I used an MTI quattro LNB (because it was cheap!) and I honestly can't remember the make of multiswitch I used.

HPsauce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat dish installed with Quad LNB Nov 2010.
Have Humax HD box and HD PVR connected.
PVR is internet-connected for iPlayer. HD Box is iPlayer-ready.
Several PC's running XP, Vista and 7x64. PC expert.
Fast broadband (20mbps).
My Location
South Bucks
OldBen said:
Never heard of cat6 being any more susceptible to this than cat5
Cat6 has tighter specifications so easier to get wrong when terminating IF (and it's a big if) you really need Cat6 - e.g. long distance 10gigabit networking. In a house!

Cat5e is easier to handle and meets almost all known domestic networking rerquirements.

Personally I use 4-core (CW1308) phone cable, you just have to get RJ45 plugs designed for solid core (cheaps as chips from Maplins). It's much easier to run and SWMBO doesn't realise it's not just phone cable, so doesn't complain!
For 100mbit networking in a domestic environment that's more than adequate as only 4 cores are required anyway (1/2 & 3/6)and "genuine" CW1308 has more than enough twists to minimize interference.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look at our supporting advertisers, most of them will sell Quattro LNBs, I've bought a few from sateuropa.co.uk

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
TR85D TRIAX TMS 5x16 P MULTISWITCH 305374 106.95 106.95
LNB15 INVERTO QUATTRO universal 0.4dB LNB 24.99 24.99
RAV20 (A01480) 2 inch outside dia w/p mount 9.95 9.95
C21547 (V24-310) FM+DAB+UHF triplexer 9.95 9.95
TD88 TR77E 85 x 95cm Triax solid steel dish pole-mounting 39.95 39.95

Have I missed anything?

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK

cauliflower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Will update again
My Location
Ireland
Ddepends on where the dish has to go but t and k galvanised bracket with 2" pole (not aluminium) is what i use

mgx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD88 w/ 3x IDLB-TWNL & 1x IDBL-QUTL; Axing SPU 554-01 + Basetech SPU 41-51 + Vision V75-516; Webro WF100; GET plc Quadplex & F euro modules; Sky+ HD; Cuberevo Twin DVB-S2 PVR; Logitech Harmony; Panasonic Viera 40" Plasma; Sony Brava 32" LCD;
My Location
London
Regarding CAT6 and WF100 feeds. This is a issue I pondered. Solution I ran two bundles to each room, each bundle having 4 cables (2xCAT6 -- using Black Box Gigatrue CAT6 550mhz -- & 2xWF100 -- fits nicely in 25mm flexible conduit) and each bundle was surfaced in a dual gang electrical box (deep 38mm box) using a quad euro face plate with 1x quadplex module (2x satellite F connector, 1x FM, 1x TV) and 2x CAT6 modules. I used GET Ultimate products which are nice and slimline. Terminate the WF100s in a multiswitch and terminate the CAT6 in a mini structured cabling box both in your comms rooms. Remember that the CAT6 cable can be used for a variety of stuff: network, phone, ADSL, video distribution (HDMI over CAT6, AV, etc). If you have a defined entertainment areas, then you should definitely run extra bundle or two (if you have at least 4 CAT6 you should be fine - e.g. any sufficiently complicated problem could end up being solved by HDMI or IP distribution -- e.g. if you did not run enough satellite cables, then as long as you have space in your comms room for a rack of boxes, you can locate them all there and feed them to the TV using HDMI over CAT6). I thought about optical fibre in the bundle, but that seemed a bit too "out there" for now. Might regret that in 10 years time :-).

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Holy thread revival batman!

Today I have just been up to the dish and swapped out the LNB for a Sky 6 way Hybrid LNB for Q/HD model EL010

FoOGfjW.jpg

Took me a few minutes to swap it over....I did this myself as when sky came to do the install of Q a few weeks back the engineer said the dish was to high :( He took one look at the mutliswitch and wanted to install another dish and run another cable around my house and drill into the lounge...I explained that WF100 was installed into every room but he wanted to drill a new cable in....So i said what? No way? The cable is already there...

Anyway my plan is to get everything in place so the next engineer can just connect the Q box to the Hybrid LNB feed.

In the meatime I'll be watching Freesat on the HUMAX boxes. Until i get Q installed in the coming weeks.

My question is I can't get BBC 4 says no signal despite both my tuners on my Humax box say V Good.?

Im guessing I have to bypass the Multiswitch from the Hybrid LNB for Q?

Four cables from the LNB are going into the multi switch can I unplug 2 of them connect them to my lounge feed and then connect Q?

I'm also guessing I can no longer use one of the the Wall Quad Plexer? The Sockets on the left have 2 x wf100 cables not connected but in place

63ZqTCc.jpg

MiaVIqp.jpg

Above are the connections in my main lounge I want Q in....

My questions are?

Why am I not getting BBC4 and a few other channels despite having a good signal on both tuners on my Freesat box?
( i have removed power from Freesat box and performed a channel recsan

Do I have to bypass my Muiltswitch for Q?

Do I have to discconect one pair of WF100 cables from the quad plexer and connect these direct to the Q box?

Ideally I would like Freesat in the other rooms going from the Hybrid LNB into the switch using the Humax Boxes.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
BBC4 time shares with CBeebies.

So a scan won't reveal the correct ID unless you do it after 19.00

Either that, or simply edit the Channel name for CBeebies (all the other parameters are the same).

Edit: Don't think a Freesat box allows Channel Name edits, so simply scan after 7pm.

Last edited:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
That dSCR adapter is £100 the Q LNB was £17.99!

Just so I have this correct...If I was to install a dSCR adapter I leave everything connected to the multiswitch from the roof and take 4 outputs from the multiswitch into the dSCR adapter and the outputs from the dSCR adapter to the sockets in my main lounge?

So signal flow:

Hybrid LNB - Multiswitch- 4 outputs from multiswitch-dSCR adapter-quad plexer ?

Any idea why I'm not getting BBC 4 and few other channels depsite a signal in my Humax box?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Have you changed a quattro LNB for the SkyQ hybrid LNB ?

Are you getting CBeebies in the list ?

Since you have four satellite outputs in the room, theoretically you could install the sdSCR adapter at the wallplate (if you have four independent polarities running around the house).

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Any idea why I'm not getting BBC 4 and few other channels depsite a signal in my Humax box?

See my earlier reply at 07.40 ..........

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Have you changed a quattro LNB for the SkyQ hybrid LNB ?

Yes I swapped out the Quatro LNB for a Sky Hybrid LNB

Are you getting CBeebies in the list ?

I'll check when I get home

Since you have four satellite outputs in the room, theoretically you could install the sdSCR adapter at the wallplate (if you have four independent polarities running around the house).

So one option is to use the left hand side of the wall socket-dSCR -Sky Q?

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
I can’t get CBeebies says no signal channel 601

Can’t get BBC news either channel 200...

Last edited:

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
All four sockets on the wall plate work with the left hand tuner on the freesat box get bbc1 but no BBC 4 or CBeebies

No channels at all on the right hand tuner with all four sockets...despite it saying full signal in the menu

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That dSCR adapter is £100 the Q LNB was £17.99!

Just so I have this correct...If I was to install a dSCR adapter I leave everything connected to the multiswitch from the roof and take 4 outputs from the multiswitch into the dSCR adapter and the outputs from the dSCR adapter to the sockets in my main lounge?

So signal flow:

Hybrid LNB - Multiswitch- 4 outputs from multiswitch-dSCR adapter-quad plexer ?

£100 is nothing for a TV system with Q capabilities. The dSCR adapter passes through two legacy feeds and gives you two Q feeds or legacy, so no change in outgoing connections and everything which did work will still work.

Last edited:

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
£100 is nothing for a TVB system with Q capabilities. The dSCR adapter passes through two legacy feeds and gives you two Q feeds or legacy, so no change in outgoing connections and everything which did work will still work.

I think the reasons I’m not getting all channels is a faulty multi switch...I unplugged everything from the multi switch...

So signal flow now

Sky Hybrid LNB - quad Plexor - Freesat

and voila all channels on freesat working...I tested all four cables from lnb direct and all working...

So it’s one of the vertical or horizontal connections not working on the multiswitch