Sky HD/FreeSAT HD install questions...I need help for new house build

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New House build, Freesat or SKY in every room
My Location
East Coast
Just out of interest for a noob like me.... I have two wires free from the LNB at the moment..What is the difference between Hor and Vert low and Hor and vert high?

This is my switch...

0FCNH4O.jpg

Second question Now I'm going Q lnb direct to the Multi plexor do I still need a dSCR adapter ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I did mention earlier changing the quattro for a quad might be the root cause.

Where is the facepalm ascii when you need it?

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast

Go easy I'm a complete noob with this...I rang a satellite engineer and was quoted £300 to get the house ready for Sky Q engineers. Up to now Ive spent 18 quid....

Before I swapped the LNB over I was having issues....Things were not recording etc...And also why would it matter putting up a Hybrid LNB? Shouldn't make a difference should if the multiswitch is faulty?

A Hybrid LNB can do both Q and Legacy...so if the switch was working correctly I would get all channels no? As take the switch out the signal chain and I get all channels...

Anyway do i still need a dSCR adapter to use the wall socket? Now my feed is direct from Hybrid LNB? I Know I lose my freeview signal and Dab but I dont care tbh...

My plan is Q 2TB in main room and 2 x multiroom miniboxes to replace the god awful Humax freesat boxes...

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
‘I rang a satellite engineer and was quoted £300 to get the house ready for Sky Q engineers. Up to now Ive spent 18 quid....’

and you still aren’t listening.

At least we agree on the grin factor of Humax.

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
‘I rang a satellite engineer and was quoted £300 to get the house ready for Sky Q engineers. Up to now Ive spent 18 quid....’

and you still aren’t listening.

At least we agree on the grin factor of Humax.

I'm not sure why I'm not listening?

Please spell it out?

Thanks

I'm guessing...You should have kept the Quad LNB and just installed a dSCR adapter after the multiswitch?

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast

I installed a Sky 6 way Hybrid LNB for Q/HD model EL010 not a quad? Works with Q and freesat....

So after reading this thread again I don't where you get I changed my LNB to a quad?

Have I bought the wrong thing?

Sky Q Hybrid LNB for Sky Dishes

These work with standard Sky HD, Freesat and Sky Q receivers. For some installations where an Octo (8 Output) LNB has been used for Sky HD and Freesat and cables are already run then a Hybrid LNB might be the best option.

The Hybrid LNB has 6 outputs 2 of which can be used for a Sky Q Box leaving 4 spare for Freesat receivers or Freesat TVs.

Last edited:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The outputs on the hybrid LNB have to be used in a certain way if it's to be used in Hybrid mode and not just universal or wideband, the two outputs on their own should be used for the wideband feeds, the quad side should be used on the multiswitch if it's suitable for quad use. I would guess that if one of the pair is used in wideband mode, the other will switch as well.

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
The outputs on the hybrid LNB have to be used in a certain way if it's to be used in Hybrid mode and not just universal or wideband, the two outputs on their own should be used for the wideband feeds, the quad side should be used on the multiswitch if it's suitable for quad use. I would guess that if one of the pair is used in wideband mode, the other will switch as well.

this guy is wrong then?

Sky Q requires a wideband LNB which is a custom Sky part. The company offers only two LNBs: the standard 2 output LNB that Sky engineers produce when they arrive to install Sky Q and this 6-output hybrid LNB.

**Does the hybrid LNB work with Sky Q and Freesat simultaneously?**
Having read in some places about needing to use two specific outputs for Sky Q I was concerned that the LNB had no markings on its outputs to indicate which should be used for Sky Q. In fact it doesn't matter. This LNB will support Sky Q on any of its outputs: the Sky Q box sends a signal to the LNB on the outputs to which it is connected, switching those outputs to wideband mode. So the LNB works universally on any of the outputs with Freesat receivers, Sky+ HD boxes and Sky Q.

Sky 6 Way Hybrid LNB for Q/HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
And also why would it matter putting up a Hybrid LNB? Shouldn't make a difference should if the multiswitch is faulty?
A universal LNB responds gives out all the frequencies but, as these are split into low band horizontal, low band vertical, high band horizontal, high band vertical (LH, LV, HH, HV) the set top box (STB ) has to request which one of the four it wants. This is done by a mixture of voltage (13v or 18v) and presence (or not) of a 22KHz signal sent up the cable from the STB. Quad just means four outputs, octo eight and however many legacy there are on the $ly LNB.

On a quattro LNB each output is a quarter of all available signals (LH, LV, HH, HV) and these feed into specific ports on the multiswitch which then mixes them up and shares them out as ordered by the STB. The multiswitch output looks like a universal LNB as far as the STB is concerned.

There are some multiswitches available which will work with a quad LNB as well as a quattro (the ports give out the differing voltages and 22KHz as well as being defined) but I don't think yours is one of these types. Therefore the quad will deliver LH to all four ports of the multiswitch. As the FTA Freesat channels are mostly on low band this means that you'll lose just over half of the Freesat channels.

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
A universal LNB responds gives out all the frequencies but, as these are split into low band horizontal, low band vertical, high band horizontal, high band vertical (LH, LV, HH, HV) the set top box (STB ) has to request which one of the four it wants. This is done by a mixture of voltage (13v or 18v) and presence (or not) of a 22KHz signal sent up the cable from the STB. Quad just means four outputs, octo eight and however many legacy there are on the $ly LNB.

On a quattro LNB each output is a quarter of all available signals (LH, LV, HH, HV) and these feed into specific ports on the multiswitch which then mixes them up and shares them out as ordered by the STB. The multiswitch output looks like a universal LNB as far as the STB is concerned.

There are some multiswitches available which will work with a quad LNB as well as a quattro (the ports give out the differing voltages and 22KHz as well as being defined) but I don't think yours is one of these types. Therefore the quad will deliver LH to all four ports of the multiswitch. As the FTA Freesat channels are mostly on low band this means that you'll lose just over half of the Freesat channels.

Brilliant info...So after reading that review its technically correct when no multiswitch is involved....Well I have a few choices I guess?

1. I either Swap back the LNB return the Sky Hybrid one
  2. Put the old lnb back connect the multiswitch and install a dSCR adapter on 4 outputs of the multiswitch
  3. Leave the Sky Hybrid in place and connect the Q box direct and have multrroom for the other two rooms (dirching the multiswitch)
  4. Give up and stop spoending hours watching mind numbing TV shows
The issue I have is that either the old LNB was faulty,or the switch as I was losing channels intermittently before swapping the LNB out for the hybrid

What would the experts do?

There are some multiswitches available which will work with a quad LNB as well as a quattro

Can you recommend one please thanks

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brilliant info...So after reading that review its technically correct when no multiswitch is involved....Well I have a few choices I guess?
  1. I either Swap back the LNB return the Sky Hybrid one
  2. Put the old lnb back connect the multiswitch and install a dSCR adapter on 4 outputs of the multiswitch
  3. Leave the Sky Hybrid in place and connect the Q box direct and have multrroom for the other two rooms (dirching the multiswitch)
  4. Give up and stop spoending hours watching mind numbing TV shows
The issue I have is that either the old LNB was faulty, or the switch as I was losing channels intermittently before swapping the LNB out for the hybrid

What would the experts do?
Well, I'm no expert, just a hobbyist. I have no experience of this Sly legacy Q LNB but if I've read Rolf's post correctly all the outputs can be either Universal LNB or wideband. So you could just cable up each room as required (two each room I would suggest) and let whatever STB is used sort out the handshaking with LNB. There's a lot of cable involved as you have to run six cables from the rooms all the way to the LNB.

HOWEVER, because I'm a nerd (a professional would not do this!), I would just run an extra pair of cables from the LNB to where the multiswitch is currently situated. So you then have six cables through to the room/attic. Then I would use barrel connectors to connect up whichever existing and future planned cable runs go to whatever rooms. This gives you the flexibility to convert back to multiswitch in the future should you want to.
Can you recommend one please thanks
I can't I'm afraid. The one time I tried to use a Quad LNB with a multiswitch that supposedly worked with both types it just didn't work properly. So I reverted to a Quattro and all was well.

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Well, I'm no expert, just a hobbyist. I have no experience of this Sly legacy Q LNB but if I've read Rolf's post correctly all the outputs can be either Universal LNB or wideband. So you could just cable up each room as required (two each room I would suggest) and let whatever STB is used sort out the handshaking with LNB. There's a lot of cable involved as you have to run six cables from the rooms all the way to the LNB.

HOWEVER, because I'm a nerd (a professional would not do this!), I would just run an extra pair of cables from the LNB to where the multiswitch is currently situated. So you then have six cables through to the room/attic. Then I would use barrel connectors to connect up whichever existing and future planned cable runs go to whatever rooms. This gives you the flexibility to convert back to multiswitch in the future should you want to.I can't I'm afraid. The one time I tried to use a Quad LNB with a multiswitch that supposedly worked with both types it just didn't work properly. So I reverted to a Quattro and all was well.

I might go down the freeview play or YouView route...if I don’t go Q....freesat is crap...the humax boxes are crap...at least I still have a couple of options...

I’ll ring sky tomo to haggle a deal on the 2tb box and 2 x mini boxes. And at least now the sky engineer won’t refuse to install it due to being totally inept.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
If you want Freeview/Youview then you terrestrial signals to be injected into the mix. These are not compatible with Q as they spread their wideband signal down into the frequencies where terrestrial signals are.

This then brings you back to using a multiswitch!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If you want Freeview/Youview then you terrestrial signals to be injected into the mix. These are not compatible with Q as they spread their wideband signal down into the frequencies where terrestrial signals are.

Don’t tell him, Pike

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast

I have a freeview aerial connected to the mulitswitch.... got freeview in all rooms via the TV'S no recording.If I decide to go Q I have a direct feed from the LNB into the main lounge

So I can buy 3 x freeview PVRs and go that route with the multiswitch and If I get Q just bypass the Multiswitch alltogether and and have Q and two miniboxes...

Or I have Q in one main room and Freeview in the other rooms...those freeview rooms coming from the multiswitch ...Q direct from the LNB bypassing the multiswitch

If you see any potential issues with this route please let me know.

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Don’t tell him, Pike

Mate whats with the attitude? We all know different things and learn off others....I'm no expert thats why I posted here 10 years ago when building the house....

Up to now...Ive spent 18 quid and have the option of Q and Freeview....I don't want freesat as the boxes are crap....

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I have a freeview aerial connected to the mulitswitch.... got freeview in all rooms via the TV'S no recording.If I decide to go Q I have a direct feed from the LNB into the main lounge

So I can buy 3 x freeview PVRs and go that route with the multiswitch and If I get Q just bypass the Multiswitch alltogether and and have Q and two miniboxes...

Or I have Q in one main room and Freeview in the other rooms...those freeview rooms coming from the multiswitch ...Q direct from the LNB bypassing the multiswitch

If you see any potential issues with this route please let me know.
You know what I would like to do in your situation then? If (big IF) I could get a multiswitch that was guaranteed to work with Quad and Quattro LNBs I would use the $ly legacy LNB. I'd run two cables to the main room (via the attic running near to multiswitch) for the Q and the other four to the multiswitch (plus terrestrial aerial input) in the attic with as many feeds from the multiswitch as it will support to all rooms (including the main room) in the house. Ideally that would be two to each room as although you may not like or want Freesat at the moment things can change and it's far easier to pull two cables through now.

Freeview/Youview STBs only need one input as they simply loop the two tuners together (either internally or externally) if they are also recorders.

At a basic minimum I think you're almost there. Current multiswitch just being used as a distribution/amplifier (DA) for the terrestrial signals into rooms. Two feeds from the $ly LNB into the main room via the attic for the Q. But I'd go just that little further for future flexibility by taking the other four leads from the $ly LNB into the attic just in case for the future.

Mate whats with the attitude? We all know different things and learn off others....I'm no expert thats why I posted here 10 years ago when building the house....
Apologies for that. It's not attitude but one (one of many) standing jokes on the forum and it references back to the TV series Dad's Army. We sometimes forget that new members might realise that. No malice meant at all.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Apologies for that. It's not attitude but one (one of many) standing jokes on the forum and it references back to the TV series Dad's Army. We sometimes forget that new members might realise that. No malice meant at all.

Shhh don't mention the mamsters :-mamster.....................oooops

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
You know what I would like to do in your situation then? If (big IF) I could get a multiswitch that was guaranteed to work with Quad and Quattro LNBs I would use the $ly legacy LNB. I'd run two cables to the main room (via the attic running near to multiswitch) for the Q and the other four to the multiswitch (plus terrestrial aerial input) in the attic with as many feeds from the multiswitch as it will support to all rooms (including the main room) in the house. Ideally that would be two to each room as although you may not like or want Freesat at the moment things can change and it's far easier to pull two cables through now.

Freeview/Youview STBs only need one input as they simply loop the two tuners together (either internally or externally) if they are also recorders.

At a basic minimum I think you're almost there. Current multiswitch just being used as a distribution/amplifier (DA) for the terrestrial signals into rooms. Two feeds from the $ly LNB into the main room via the attic for the Q. But I'd go just that little further for future flexibility by taking the other four leads from the $ly LNB into the attic just in case for the future.

Thanks for the reply...:)