Sky HD/FreeSAT HD install questions...I need help for new house build

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New House build, Freesat or SKY in every room
My Location
East Coast
Sky HD/FreeSAT HD install questions...I need help for new house build
I'm scratching heads coming up with the best possible solution for the TV installs for the new house. The plumbers have just finished first fix so we have no plaster board up yet so we are running all the cables we need.

The House is built in 3 zones.

Zone 1 Will have one main TV and a second TV but they do not need to be independent of each other as they will not be watched at the same time.

Zone 2 Ground Level Will be independent as in different channels will be watched at the same time. ( Lounge, Kitchen and Study)
Zone 2 Upstairs will probably just have a TV feed in one bedroom for now but I have catered for all 4 bedrooms just in case this changes so the cable is there even if there is nothing on the end of it.

Zone 3 Will have one main TV and a second TV they need to be independent of each other as they maybe be watched at the same time.

We would like the ability to record programmes and pause live TV in every lounge but this is not important for kitchens or Bedrooms. The study will be the central HUB for stuff it will have a home server and stuff in a rack with cat 6 cable running from there to every room.

_http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/easyrider_01/HousePlan.jpg

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
92 views and no replies?

Are my questions not relevant for these forums?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Only just spotted the post, unfortunately i have to go out and earn a crust now. It's quite a complex setup, the pictures are too small to see any detail and need to be uploaded to the forum, not linked to.

Is this your house or are you a builder?

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Its my house,

How do I edit my post's?
How do I upload images?
Why can I not link to images from my own photo-bucket account?

Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Fairly complex system as mentioned. Would say run two cat5/6e feeds to each room and a coaxial or two back to server room. This should give you flexibility on system choice.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...stallations/87970-how-do-i-post-pictures.html

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...es-please-read-before-posting.html#post181885

Links and Advertising
* Please do not post live links to ANY external sites whatsoever, disable the links by using an underscore as in the following _http://www.example.com, this also applies to photos, please use the manage attachments facility at the bottom of the posting template and upload your pictures, don't use image code or link to them.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I would suggest running wf100 twin to every TV point from sat distribution hub, labour wise it would take no longer than running singles. Maybe run an extra cable to the lounge for good measure.

Oh, and 5x wf100 from the hub to where the dish will be.

I've not counted the rooms or points, but to distribute SAT-IF (and terrestrial aerial signal) you can use the appropriately sized multi switch (5x16 or 5x32 possibly), coupled to a quattro LNB and a 70 to 80cm dish.

Having images stored elsewhere is not desirable, as the images could go, and we are left with a pictureless, possibly meaningless thread.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Also depends on what system you have planned for and budget in mind. A high end professional install option would be to mount all receivers into a 19" rack and view/ control any source from any zone/room. You'd need to cable 4 feeds from a dish location to the server room/hub and install a multi switch. Having coaxials to rooms will still allow I.F signals available if needed.

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Thanks for the replies,

What I have done up to now is run dual sky + cable to every to every room in the house from the study.

Like a spider configuration with the study being the centre.

This is where I am stuck...I have been looking at multi-switches but I am unsure of the configuration or whether this is the "best" option

I have attached a plan of the house. Hope its big enough :)

Thanks for all the input up to know...I feel as though I have some support now rather than walking in blindly.:-worship :)

Attachments

• House Plan 1.jpg
    House Plan 1.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 72

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
What exactly do you mean by "dual Sky+ cable" ??

Using a multiswitch for sat IF distribution is the main option.

The configuration is fairly simple, 4 cables in from quattro on dish, then cables run out to each sat point needed.

Another would be to use a Fibre optic LNB and passive optical splitters plus local virtual quads. But much more costly.

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Robbo said:
What exactly do you mean by "dual Sky+ cable" ??

Using a multiswitch for sat IF distribution is the main option.

The configuration is fairly simple, 4 cables in from quattro on dish, then cables run out to each sat point needed.

Another would be to use a Fibre optic LNB and passive optical splitters plus local virtual quads. But much more costly.

Labgear Black Shotgun Coaxial Cable Sky+ 100m
LABGEAR
Semi-flexible. Copper conductor. Timed copper braiding. Ideal for Sky+. Copper screen. PVC sheath. Foam gas injected polyethylene insulation.

* 1 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee
* Ideal for Sky+ and Sky HD
* 96 Strand x 0.12mm Tin Copper Braiding
* 100m Reel
* Insulated & Sheathed

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
_http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45807/Electrical-Supplies/TV-Range/Coaxial-Cable/Labgear-Black-Shotgun-Coaxial-Cable-Sky-100m

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Is this cable OK?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
easyrider said:
_http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45807/Electrical-Supplies/TV-Range/Coaxial-Cable/Labgear-Black-Shotgun-Coaxial-Cable-Sky-100m

Is that 1mm core or 0.65mm?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
From the photo it looks like its the thin stuff. Not a good idea to use that on a multi-feed system.

The thin stuff has a external diameter of approx 5mm for each cable, the stuff you need to use has a diameter of approx 7mm for each cable. eg wf100 twin, or similar.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Difficult to say from the accompanying photograph but it looks like the 0.65mm thin shotgun.

Easyrider, as you are installing from new and not constrained by holes already drilled for single full size cable (1.0mm core, 7mm outside diameter). So, I would try to get twin WF100 thick twin (shotgun).

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
I have just rung the company and it is indeed .65mm :(

Relieved to actually find this out now and not when its in and hidden! So thanks guys :)

@PaulR - Its a brand new build so the plumbers have just finished the first fix so no plasterboard is up. I can make any holes bigger and I am running the cable through engineered floor joists these are all open so its not a problem I guess I have just wasted some money that's all and a few hours running the cable.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, best to get it changed for the decent stuff, because now is the time, you will be saving yourself time and money in the long run.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
easyrider said:
92 views and no replies?

Are my questions not relevant for these forums?

I would point out that the majority of the 92 views will be from the hobbyist members of the forum, for whom this size of installation would be beyond their scope and capabilities, lucky for you that a number of the mods and admin staff are actually self employed installers :)

easyrider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast
Topper said:
I would point out that the majority of the 92 views will be from the hobbyist members of the forum, for whom this size of installation would be beyond their scope and capabilities, lucky for you that a number of the mods and admin staff are actually self employed installers :)

Thats good news.

I don't fancy doing this alone at least woithout so very helpful guidance.:)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Don't skimp on the number of satellite feeds to each room.

In my personal situation I wish that I'd put three feeds into the living room, not just two. It's all very well supplying the Freesat PVR but there are times when I could do with an extra for a Digibox.

In the other rooms, if there's the slightest possibilty of fitting a satellite PVR then put two in!