Newbie Here Sky hd in belgium - trying to find astra sats 28.2f etc...

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2009 Samsung 500GB SKY+HD box, Dish with universal twin LNB from SilverCrest. SATLINK WS6906
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
Hey everyone.

This forum is an interesting read and Ive decided to sign up to get your help!!!

I have lived in Belgium for 8 years and previously I have had someone come out and set my Sky up, works flawlessly because the footprints still good for my location (Normally)

I now live in an area called Keerbergen, my dish is not possible to be mounted on the home so its sitting on a tripod, low to the floor, or higher (what do you recommend?)

I have the usual cheap WS-6906 sat finder but its proving difficult to find Astra 2F 2G etc etc??

my question is, after using sattelitepointer etc to see where it should be facing etc etc, I can pick up the German, italian, spans, hebrew etc etc... which tells me the WS6906 is seeing a frequency from another sat (19E?) and saying its 2F on the screen. does that mean I need to go more left or more right??

To make it a bit more simple for me, I want to add a channel into the WS6906 from SKY, like.... sky 998 channel or sky newsUK? ITV? then when I see the video on the satlink, I know I will be pointing at the right satellite finally! Can I do that? is that a easier solution to know where I am pointing.

Also a separate question, I understand the SKY box will just throw a "no signal" if your not on the satellite, even if your MM out its a nightmare of a box... Which satellite boots the Sky box from? 2F, 2G?? or all of them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I speak the language fluently here, but I just want a bit of my English telly back! good old ITV and other binge channels. :)

Thanks and great site full of contribution! Have a nice day.

Lee.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Morning Lee, welcome to the forum.

As you can see Italian channels you have found Hotbird 13E (another satellite cluster which puts a huge signal out across Europe). Standing behind the dish you need to swing left and down a fraction. About twice the width of the lnb face will put you in roughly the correct place. Drop the lnb about half the width of the face. Mark everything up with a pencil so if you get hopelessly lost you can reset quickly and start again.

Placing of the dish isnt important as long as its got clear line of sight onto the satellites - if its low down make sure there are not any bushes that will grow up in front of it, trees draping down in front of it etc.

The sky box looks for a signal on its "default transponder" which populates the epg. If it doesnt find this frequency (11778V I think which is 2E Europe) it complains about no signal

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2009 Samsung 500GB SKY+HD box, Dish with universal twin LNB from SilverCrest. SATLINK WS6906
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
Thanks for the fast answer!

Dishpointer gives me a estimation on where to point but its not helping much, could be that my dish is too low and I need to bring it higher up.

Is it an option to add a channel on my WS6906 that Sky use? strongest channel I assume would be SkyNews no? if that channel is on, then I could turn the dish hoping that it will pick it up eventually.

I will give a try on raising the dish and positioning again. It has been testing my patience lately. :)

I must admit the WS6906 is good, but hardly easy when its update cable is a COM port so I can't update it from my iMac.... I just have to hope for the best.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Within the spotbeam areas the BBC/ITV/C4 standard definition frequencies are about the strongest so try 10714H 22000 5/6 which is the main Channel4 sd frequency (2E UK beam) :)

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
Super thanks! I will give this a try and I will get back to you!

I have some trees, but its picking up German etc because of being on a different satellite, with a clear view obviously... knowing my luck, 2E,F,G are hiding behind a tree... :D

How accurate is dish pointer? - Because I am starting to think that what is says from my location on where to point the dish... is not 100% correct... following this site, I'm pointing at German channels... so?

Very confusing stuff, but I refuse to pay for someone to come and align my dish when its not fixed to the ground.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
German TV is on Astra 1 at 19E. You have done the difficult bit - which is finding a signal (any signal!) in the first place. Just keep going slowly in the same direction and you will soon be sorted :) Dont forget to drop the lnb a little as well

Good luck!! :D

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
OK super thanks.

So I'm pointing generally at 19E, that's a start! finding the signal was relatively ok with the device I am using. just the right signal is proving a challenge.

Dropping the LNB I will do too, thanks, then for sure I am being blocked by bushes or trees so that's a good reason why I can not find Sky's transponders.

Reading up on LNB skew.... trying to understand. standing infront of the dish, I need minus, so that means twisting the LNB clockwise or anti? am I best to just keep the LNB straight first and try find the satellite??? then adjusting the skew afterwards to help quality/strength? will the box receive a signal on a straight LNB in begin? and doing final adjustments afterwards?

sorry for all the questions, and super thanks for all your help.

P.S the information from dish pointer is in my sig, so you can see what degrees and skew etc etc. ;)

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Twist the lnb so the cables are hanging at about "7 oclock" when you are facing the dish That will be close enough :)

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
Super, thank you. will keep you posted on this.

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
Hey, im back.

With your fantastic help of simplicity in positioning the dish and skews, I did it!! And if I do say so myself, the strength and quality are perfect!

Shame that SKY are a rip off in regards of needing a subscription for pause and record.....

I did it by finding Astra 19 via my satlink. And slowly nudging left and scanning again, then I got 23.5 Astra. So I nudged it just a little bit further, and scanned again.... the minute I saw ITV on my scan list I knew I had it!! Tweaked the strength and quality and BAM, the SKY box booted!! No updates for it anymore.... Samsung box is out of date.

Thanks again for the huge help!

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
can’t upload the image unfortunately.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yah!!!!!

:-respekt

Well done - its easy when you know how & have a bit of help & advice . :)

Thats exactly the technique I used to use to find all the old analogue satellites back when I started - an old tv in the garden a satellite box & a dish balanced on a snowdrift, a couple of bricks or an old tyre!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I don't know the Samsung box, but you might have the wrong/incorrect frequency installed as the upgrade transponder.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Probably reference to the the fact that sky are no longer updating the system software for older boxes and haven't been for a while.

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
Probably reference to the the fact that sky are no longer updating the system software for older boxes and haven't been for a while.

This is the reason unfortunately. Only the later DRX boxes from Amstrad are still updating.

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
Here is the image.

Quite happy with the SS and SQ. :) Thanks again Anologuesat.

Attachments

• IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 15

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You are very welcome :)

If you find the picture breaks up during heavy rain or stormy winds you may need to tweak the dish a couple of mm one way or the other. Our dish is in a particularly exposed location so I have to do regular maintenance on it :D

Until that day though enjoy your programmes

Lee2F2F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium, Keerbergen
You are very welcome :)

If you find the picture breaks up during heavy rain or stormy winds you may need to tweak the dish a couple of mm one way or the other. Our dish is in a particularly exposed location so I have to do regular maintenance on it :D

Until that day though enjoy your programmes

Living in Belgium has many advantages (still decent enough to be in the Astra footprint for SKY for one.) but I certainly don't escape the english weather...

Currently windy & heavy rain. No problems so far! :)

P.S noticed in your SIG about adding reports for Astra 2E, you want my info for your list also??