Reaction score
At the minute I have mine set in modem mode feeding a Dlink DIR 615
with DD-WRT installed and it works a treat with port forwarding for SIP
devices and sat boxes lol
That combo sounds familiar lol

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Another DIR-615 user here (supplied by VirginMedia back in Lancashire), only without DD-WRT though, not braved modifying the router yet to try it... :lol:

It's connected to some cheap "Technicolor" brand modem (apparently formerly Thomson brand, which was formerly Alcatel), but the modem's acting as the DHCP server and the DIR-615 as a wired & wireless hub, though with all the additional hardware I keep acquiring, I may need to upgrade to a router with a few more wired ports... :blink:

Makes me wonder though, if I replaced the modem with something more well-known whether down & upload speeds would improve or not... :confused

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
2cvbloke said:
Another DIR-615 user here (supplied by VirginMedia back in Lancashire), only without DD-WRT though, not braved modifying the router yet to try it... :lol:

It's connected to some cheap "Technicolor" brand modem (apparently formerly Thomson brand, which was formerly Alcatel), but the modem's acting as the DHCP server and the DIR-615 as a wired & wireless hub, though with all the additional hardware I keep acquiring, I may need to upgrade to a router with a few more wired ports... :blink:

Makes me wonder though, if I replaced the modem with something more well-known whether down & upload speeds would improve or not... :confused
It might well affect your speeds but unless the modem is really poor I can`t see it

Back in the day (or in a past life) we used to use this SG TCP Optimizer _hxxp://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php to ensure we where getting the top end out of our modems (came in handy when bridging 2 or more cable modems for what was ultimate speed way back when lol)

Slide the speed slider all the way to the right and choose the radio button at the bottom that says optimal, then click apply settings and reboot your PC

You could also delete QOS in the network card properties but I don`t think that makes much of a difference nower days

I did once hear from a BT tech that if you call BT about their ADSL and tell them you have a fault on the line, explain that every call is quiet and you can hear a little static on the line and a passing Openreach engineer suggested that the line gain needs increasing
Apparently this can make your speed increase but can also lead to more errors and connection drops if you are too far from the exchange (apparently ADSL has auto gain to get you the best speeds for your line but it`s not always accurate lol)

RE the 615, flashing it with DD-WRT was the best thing I ever did to the router, I can have a number of WiFi SSID set up, one for me, one for her and one for guests, if I`m feeling generous I can sell WiFi and make a bit of extra cash using built in hotspot software (not that I have tho lol) and I can crank the output power from 71mW to over 250mW if I wanted too to increase range (but I have too much radio gear to blast that much power and I`d rather have LF to UHF on my radios and less WiFi coverage than less radio spectrum and more internet strain lol)