Slingbox control of humax problem

MikeJW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
UK
I have been using a Slingbox very successfully for several years but have never found a way of controlling the Humax Foxsat HD box in a certain situation.
This is when the Humax box decides to scan for new/replacement channels and puts that display up on screen waiting for the go-ahead instruction to start scanning.
When I am at home I just use the Humax remote to send that OK but overseas I can’t find any way of sending that instruction via the Slingbox from my iPhone so everything stays frozen until I get home to UK again!!!
Any suggestions to get around this annoying situation which sometimes happens?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Never had one personally but if the Humax STB decided to scan all by itself, it would be better to just switch off (probably untick) the autoscan for new channels function in the main settings and do updates when you are at home.

MikeJW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
UK
Never had one personally but if the Humax STB decided to scan all by itself, it would be better to just switch off (probably untick) the autoscan for new channels function in the main settings and do updates when you are at home.
Thanks Topper
That’s what I will do when I get back to UK. But I’m overseas at present so would like to find a way of triggering it from here to do its scan to get it working for the moment.
None of the control buttons on the remote control replica picture I can put up on the Slingbox screen on my iPad seem to connect with the scan function (it works with the actual physical remote control at home though) nor the simpler controls on my iPhone.
Weird.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It seems odd that the manufacturer would go to the trouble of providing details of the codes to insert into an app but leave one out, I am not wishing to teach my grannie to suck eggs as I do not use either an iphone or ipad, however is the situation able to be resolved by tabbing down to the graphic containing the required command button or is that command button just not displayed on the iPad and iPhone?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Do the 'back' or 'exit' buttons work ?
What happens if you press the on/off button ?

If your main house is an apartment then you could get a neighbour to cut the electricity momentarily from the shared consumer cabinet.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Sling try to cover as many of the common functions that all remote controls have. The problem comes with commands that are unique to a model and I think this is one of them.

MikeJW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
UK
Thanks Topper
That’s what I will do when I get back to UK. But I’m overseas at present so would like to find a way of triggering it from here to do its scan to get it working for the moment.
None of the control buttons on the remote control replica picture I can put up on the Slingbox screen on my iPad seem to connect with the scan function (it works with the actual physical remote control at home though) nor the simpler controls on my iPhone.
Weird.
It seems odd that the manufacturer would go to the trouble of providing details of the codes to insert into an app but leave one out, I am not wishing to teach my grannie to suck eggs as I do not use either an iphone or ipad, however is the situation able to be resolved by tabbing down to the graphic containing the required command button or is that command button just not displayed on the iPad and iPhone?
Hi again Topper
I agree with you. The command button on the physical remote to start the cha=
nnel search is just the =E2=80=9COK=E2=80=9D one but which doesn=E2=80=99t d=
o its stuff on the on-screen virtual remote. The virtual remote is identical=
in appearance to the physical remote and all buttons are supposed to be act=
ive. All the other functions on the virtual remote I have used work fine so i=
t looks like someone forgot that to write something to cope with a channel s=
earch.=20
So perhaps I will just watch foreign TV for the next month. At least I speak=
the local language but the programmes are even worse than in the UK!!!
Do the 'back' or 'exit' buttons work ?
What happens if you press the on/off button ?

If your main house is an apartment then you could get a neighbour to cut the electricity momentarily from the shared consumer cabinet.
Hi Channel Hopper
All three of those buttons are live and they all give the same result. The whole of the Humax screen display about searching for new channels and software goes black just leaving the virtual remote control alone on the now black iPad screen and three or four seconds later the channel search display comes back just like it was.
No-one has a house key to try cutting the power unfortunately

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Let me know the address and I'll find a way in . :ph34r:

Mickybod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Several dishes (45cm to 1.8m) but nothing being used at the moment- except sly
My Location
Kent border
I’ve used a slingbox for years too , are you using the standard humax remote code when you set up the remote controls or a custom one ?

MikeJW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
UK
I’ve used a slingbox for years too , are you using the standard humax remote code when you set up the remote controls or a custom one ?
Hi Mickybod
I used the standard one

Mickybod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent border
Ok , that could be your issue.
Try looking at this website to see if your particular sat box is there.
If it is listed you can try updating the remote codes when you get home

MikeJW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
UK
Ok , that could be your issue.
Try looking at this website to see if your particular sat box is there.
If it is listed you can try updating the remote codes when you get home

Hi Mickybod
Thank you very much for that suggestion and the weblink. Unfortunately my box is not on the list — it is Humax Foxsat HD not HDR.
But perhaps the absence of a recording function in mine doesn’t matter so do you think I should try the code update given for the HDR one anyway?
What do you think?

Mickybod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent border
A lot of the remote codes are the same for different models, all you can do is to try several & see if it makes a difference to your set up - I use a technomate F3/5 stb but the remote codes for a 6900 work perfect - also one other thing to consider doing is installing a remote power switch, that way if you need to turn the power off when away from home you can

MikeJW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
UK
A lot of the remote codes are the same for different models, all you can do is to try several & see if it makes a difference to your set up - I use a technomate F3/5 stb but the remote codes for a 6900 work perfect - also one other thing to consider doing is installing a remote power switch, that way if you need to turn the power off when away from home you can
What I think I will do is firstly disable the auto search function and just run that manually when I am at home from time to time.
If that doesn’t do the trick or refuses to become disabled I will try the code change.
I don’t really want to cut the power off remotely because I already had to disable the sleep function in the Humax box because I couldn’t turn it on again remotely via Slingbox so cutting the power itself off may be a one way street again !!!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I hope you are successful in finding a solution, but it is summer and you perhaps should be taking in the fresh air and sunshine rather than watching TV:cool:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
ISTR that an HD remote doesn't work on an HDR and vice-versa.

MikeJW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
UK
Ah — thanks for the info, PaulR

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.