Slingbox Solo - Installation

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
I have obtained a Slingbox as above, no installation paperwork, however I have seen the download on the slingmedia site.

Anyone got any tips or help regarding installation?

Also a quick apraisee of how exactly this works technically?

Is the slingremote any good?

Cheers

A

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Very simply:

Connect the SB to your satellite system and bb router. Set up your access passwords etc on the software interface

Download the SB player software

Fire up the player software at a secondary location and watch the telly on your laptop.

How well it works depends on how fast your bb upload speed is at home - it will work on a 350kbps upload (thats what Im stuck with) but the quality is fairly poor. You really need a 1meg upload speed to do it justice.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Analoguesat, thanks for that.

I have set it all up in UK, works well.

The only problem I am finding is that the user in Russia is trying to download the Slingplayer to view, the problem is that it keeps saying "no video or slingbox detected".

I have all the login details, so why cant we find Slingbox viewing only software?

Obviously the Slingbox is in the UK. I thought that the person in Russia could download a software and put in all the login details and view, or am I missing something?

Anyone know?

Ta

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That sounds right.

Do you have it working on your home network or from a remote site - you need to do port forwarding on your router for whichever port you are using for remote access..

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Working on home network.

So the remote one cant see the content. No idea what port forwarding is seems long winded when the whole process has been so easy.

A

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There are 65535 ports that can be used for router - computer access. SB software uses one particular port out of these 65535.

Port forwarding is just telling your router that when a request on port x arrives its sent to the Slingbox and not to the computer.

If you dont set this up it will never work from a remote location.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
-http://portforward.com/

might be of help

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Analoguesat said:
-http://portforward.com/

might be of help

Thanks again for that.

I cannot understand why there is no mention of this anywhere on the SB website and in the download software. Surely SB dont expect you to be carrying the home PC around the world? So how do people know about port forwarding if it is not mentioned?

So i will do the portforwarding. However what software download off the SB website is required? I was naive enough to think viewer in Russia dowmloaded software off SB , then the viewer inputs all the logins and passwords and starts watching my SB? I would have thoughtb this software would automatically detect the slingbox router?

Cheers...............

Getting confused, this is vital to watch overseas but SB dont mention it.:confused