Slow Network Speed

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Satellite with Dreambox 600PVR
My Location
UK, London
I have a DM600 PVR which works great except for having a slow network speed. I can FTP to the dreambox but when transferring files from the dreambox it takes ages, and movieplayer also doesnt work.

Doing some searching on the net I see several boxes had this issue (DM500 and DM7020), and just wanted to clarify if it was the same issue, and if the same solution (soldering new capacitor) would work?

Image is OpenPLI 03/02/2010

Thanks!

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Is your DM600 a clone or an original?

I've owned two DM600s and set up about four more for others. I cant say I've ever noticed any problems slow network connections.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK, London
I have a strong feeling its a clone (though I wasn't aware of it at the time, I got it a while back when I was fairly new to dreamboxes)

My main goal is to get the Web-X-TV feature working thats part of the PLI Images, as i've seen it working on clone DM500S and it works and is very handy! But as said it doesn't work, just shows blank screen with "waiting for video".
The reason I think it's something wrong with network speed is that transferring files from the dreambox takes ages (once tried to transfer some recorded content off the hdd and for a 70MB file took almost an hour or so!)

I should add that the network speed isn't so slow as to disrupt CS as that works fine (but I guess CS doesn't need much network speed)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
You need to have a VLC plugin installed in Firefox for the Web-X-TV feature to work. I've found that the VLC pluging can cause problems with Firefoxs functionality so I dont use it.

You'd be better off clicking the VLC button on the web interface (Top Right on most images, right on Nabilo). When you click this button, a file download will begin. Then chose to open the file in VLC, VLC should then begin to play the stream directly instead of via a browser window.

A quality SD stream peaks at around 7Mbps as far as I recall, so it doesn't need a really fast connection. 1 hour for a 70MB file seems a lot though.

View attachment 28782

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 94

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I am not saying this is the problem but I had someone complaining about a slow connection to his router and instead of using a standard Cat5 lead they had bought a Cat5 crossover which will get there eventually but will be extremely slow unless of course it is just connecting two PC's together without a router which is what it intended purpose is. You can check for this by reading out the colouring of the wires from left to right on the clear acrylic RJ45 connector on either end if the are not the same order then you have a crossover cable which needs replacing

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Topper said:
I am not saying this is the problem but I had someone complaining about a slow connection to his router and instead of using a standard Cat5 lead they had bought a Cat5 crossover.....
I don't know how that happened. A crossover cable is designed so that the transmit pins on one side connect to the receiving pins on the other. The receive pins do nothing but listen, and the transmit pins only transmit.

Possibly there was some sort of Auto Negotiation going on there which caused duplexing problems. Not sure on that one. :confused

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK, London
ok i have a clone DM500S set up downstairs with latest OpenPLI and Web-X-TV is working fine on that. So to see whether the cabling had any effect I swapped the 2 boxes around. The DM500, now upstairs, still works (quality looks a little degraded when streamed though) and the DM600, now downstairs, is better (in that video+audio is now coming through) but it stutters literally every second so its basically still non viewable :(

so looks like the cabling did have some effect but isn't the only (main?) issue.

I also tried your suggestion compufunk with exact same results (blank screen while upstairs, video+audio coming through but stuttering badly so its non viewable while downstairs).

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK, London
also the FTP speed of the DM600 while downstairs is ranging from around 50-90 kb/s

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK, London

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Assuming you have tried a few different images and still have the same problem, and you've tried a few different Ethernet cables, it would seem your DM600 has a hardware fault.

The only other thing you could try would be to connect your computer directly to your Dreambox with a crossover cable. I cant see things being any different though.

I couldn't comment on whether or not its the same issue as the DM500 and DM7020. I quick Google search turns up nothing on slow LAN connections on a DM600 other than this thread.

HussainAL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellites:
Hotbird 13
NileSat 7
Arabsat 26
Dreambox Dm600PVR
Computer:
Macbook 13"
IntelCore 2Due 2.0GHz
4GB RAM
250 GB HD Drive
My Location
Bahrain
Hi,

I have bought my DM600PVR 6 months ago, and it is 100% clone as confirmed by the sales guy, and it's PRICE. When I got it, I have noticed this slow connection issue, the network light on both the receiver and the router keeps blinking even when on free channel. I have tried to test the network port of the receiver, using ping command from command prompt few times, and every time I get lost packets, and 2 "connection time out" out of 3. I took the DM600 to the sales lady and explained the issue to her, explained to her what is wrong with the receiver, after convincing her, I got a replacement, and so far it works as a charm.

Try it out, if it is still under warranty, don't waist your time and money.

Regards