Smart Meters

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Bulb, my energy supplier, good prices and 1st class customer service suggests I install smart meters, I see no reason not too but SWIMBO thinks they are rubbish and spy on you. But then it is me that crawls under the stairs and into the porch cupboard to read the meters. Plus they also send a meter reader now and then to check. Any views.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Bulb, my energy supplier, good prices and 1st class customer service suggests I install smart meters, I see no reason not too but SWIMBO thinks they are rubbish and spy on you. But then it is me that crawls under the stairs and into the porch cupboard to read the meters. Plus they also send a meter reader now and then to check. Any views.
I use Bulb, but still have to read the electric and gas meters, as my previous supplier British Gas provided me with the first generation smart meter, which is incompatible with Bulb.
I haven't had any information from Bulb about any compatible meter they could supply yet.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I'm not so much concerned about them spying on me, it's the possibility that in the future they could decide to control my supply of energy through the smart meter that stops me from letting them be fitted.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Your SWIMBO is partly right.

From what is currently being proposed, smart meter intelligence, prioritising and potential override protocol - Hello Dave - is still being assessed and could lead to everything previously installed getting ripped out, so much for environmentally friendly devices.

A report from Which , which is somewhat out of date since is doesn't mention the above threat.

Of importance to myself is the bit about DCC, I don't want to have yet another wifi device spraying harmonics around the property 24/7.

I'm not going to approve the fitting of one here and will object if it ever becomes compulsory (which the blurb I have in the first promotion said it was never going to be).
Additionally our gas meter outside, plus the cupboard under the stairs where the leccy box is has no access unless I dismantle the small doorframe, which I am not going to do unless the supplier agrees to cover the work and redecorating.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
No doubt they'll be used to tax the charging of electric cars once they become more common and the revenue from petrol & diesel falls.

I also noticed they stopped claiming smart meters would cut your energy bill, I wonder how much energy a 'smart' meter actually consumes.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Scottish Power finally got around to offering me one then promptly cancelled the appointment - and the reschedule appointment. No explanation. No apology.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
No doubt they'll be used to tax the charging of electric cars once they become more common and the revenue from petrol & diesel falls.

I also noticed they stopped claiming smart meters would cut your energy bill, I wonder how much energy a 'smart' meter actually consumes.
Yes, there is some documentation out on the WWW that goes into depth on what the meters currently can, and may in future be able to detect is connected using device protocol, not unlike DiSEqC.
Cars, and I suspect home use of industrial tools that suck more of the 'j leccy' will come under scrutiny, allowing the supplier to charge accordngly.

I believe the next generation of meter will also act as a gateway/gatekeeper to filter out same phase interference (every third home) back into the road, any unknown generator can then be narrowed down to a single property - or specific device - rather than sending out the man in the van to knock on more than one door. That is if the meter hasn't disabled the supply in the first place and placed the occupants under house arrest.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Last edited:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
We're with SSE and they're constantly trying to get me to have them installed, obviously means they don't have to employ reading staff, but also is a great tool for finding out where they can apply premium rates in the future.

dmaavrigdo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Laminas OFC1200 dish
Inverto Quad Black Ultra IDLT-QDL412-ULTRA-OPN
Octagon SF8008 twin
Yamaha HTR-2067
My Location
Vansbro Sweden
We're with SSE and they're constantly trying to get me to have them installed, obviously means they don't have to employ reading staff, but also is a great tool for finding out where they can apply premium rates in the future.
I have a smart meter and hourly billing. Can see past days usage by the hour on the website.
Could chose to use power when it's cheapest but in fact don't bother.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Mine was installed by British Gas nine years ago this month, and has always been dumb in the sense that nothing apart from a provided remote monitor handset functioned, just an ability to take readings from the meter as with the old one. I changed energy provider from BG to Bulb in 2019, and I then lost the use of the handset, with which at least up until then I could check and track my energy usage.

Apparently as a first generation meter, it's due to be 'smarted up' by Bulb by the end of April this year, but Bulb haven't notified me
of this fact yet.

Incidentally, British Gas didn't ask whether I wanted a smart meter, a date convenient to me was agreed on and the installation was carried out on both electric and gas meters.

Smart Meter.JPG

BG Monitor Handset.JPG

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Our new (rented) place that we moved into 3 years ago has a smart meter. No problems with it. There was a remote monitoring thing which immediately got chucked up on top of a cupboard out of the way.