Sony TV exchange under warranty

nwgilbert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Desktop computer with W10, R9390, 16GB RAM, Intel i7-4790K
My Location
UK
Hello, I was wondering if someone can help with the following as I don’t know a great deal about televisions when comparing different ranges and what to look for.

Sony replaced my TV under warranty a while back.

• Original purchase - KD-65XE7093

• Under warranty they replaced with the following model - KD-65XG7093

• I wasn’t happy with the replacement for a few reasons, so they’ve offered the following in exchange - KD-65XH9505

The model they're proposing KD-65XH9505 looks good cos it's 120hz and supposedly better quality screen and materials but I don’t know much about televisions so I was wondering if someone can advise on the comparison?

I noticed that the energy rating on my current one is A+ but the new one they're offering is G (considerably more to power in the long run) but was wondering if it's worth it.

I'll link them below. Any advice would be really appreciated!

CURRENT MODEL THEY’VE PROVIDED:

NEW MODEL THEY’RE OFFERING:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
What were the reasons you didn't like the replacement they provided?

Here is a review of the television they are now offering:
If you are a gamer I notice there is no variable refresh rate, and no 60hz backlight strobe for 60fps games.

nwgilbert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Desktop computer with W10, R9390, 16GB RAM, Intel i7-4790K
My Location
UK
@ozumo Thanks for your reply.
The main reason for writing back to them to explain I wasn't happy with the original replacement was because the KD-65XG7093 sits at a slant leaning backwards - I'm not entirely sure why that would be but its very noticable!

I don't do much gaming on the TV - mostly on my PC which I have a good monitor for.

TV is mostly used for watching tv shows and movies.

I thought the refresh rate was 120hz for the XH9505, maybe im wrong?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Ah yes Sony and their slanting televisions. They've had that "feature" for many years - not much use unless the TV is on the floor.

XH9505 is the European model number for the X950H, it's mentioned at the bottom of the review I linked to. Rtings and HDTVtest are probably the two most trustworthy sources for online reviews.

120hz isn't much use unless you have 120hz video or games to to play. The TV can probably be set to interpolate up to 100 or 120hz but that can have it's own issues, such as 'soap opera effect' or random artefacts where the interpolator gets confused.

However for general television and films it looks to be a good television. Now the shops are open it may be worth popping in and having A look at one. You can get universal stands that bolt to the wall mounting points. This will correct any slant a television may have.